Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account


New Posts   Today's Posts

ASV for those with Hypopneas?
#11
RE: ASV for those with Hypopneas?
(11-18-2017, 12:30 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: G'day Sleep Therapy. Welcome to Apnea Board.

It's not uncommon for people to have problems adjusting to CPAP therapy - I well remember the sensation of "drowning in air" which occurs when the pressure goes up. The SleepyHead charts will definitely help us help you, even if there's only a few hours data. Follow the instructions in Walla Walla's links to get the charts properly formatted to give the most appropriate data.

(11-18-2017, 10:27 PM)ajack Wrote: If you are having trouble with cpap, asv will lift the top of your head off. better to get some sleepyhead charts up and see what is going on.

(11-19-2017, 08:45 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: What ajack says is true.  CPAP does not time your breathing, but ASV does.  Your description of CPAP cramming air down your throat and the timing being artificial is a product of stress and perception rather than reality.  CPAP stands for continuous positive air pressure.  It is simply enough pressure to keep your upper airway from collapsing so you can breath easily.  In a leak-free CPAP interface there is no perception of increased airflow, wind or really pressure.  It is there, but most of us have to pull the mask away, creating a leak to even know it is on.

Anxiety over CPAP is a common problem, and I know it's unhelpful to tell you to just stick with it, but that may be what it takes. Use it when you are comfortable watching TV or reading, try to condition yourself to experience the comfort and ease of breathing rather than fighting with leaks and seeing the pressure as intrusive.  If you can't resolve the anxiety, you will join the 50% or so of users that fail at CPAP.  The benefits of success can be well worth the effort.

(11-19-2017, 10:31 AM)Apnea Infant Wrote: Welcome to the forum.

Have you been using CPAP for a year? Or was it that your health had been deteriorating for a year?

We recommend downloading sleepyhead and uploading your sleepyhead charts through imgur so the learned users here can help you in detail. Most of us have not been lucky, unlike some, and have had to suffer through months of discomfort and anxiety to tolerate PAP therapy. But slowly, it does improve and waking hours after that is worth it. As others have noted, even an hour or two will show enough for them to decipher whats going on.

My own journey was a complete nightmare to start with. I would only have an hour at the time before I would rip off the mask. This would occur all night long so you can imagine trying to work full days for 5 days on the trot with those kind of nights. Living dead was my state in those days.

Hang on in there..........

Thanks for your reply. I can't post the sleepyhead results because I have misplaced the SD card somewhere. I will post it once I find it. Anyway, after begging the doctor to do more tests, I might get a lung function test done as well as a heart test done. Hypopneas generally means a respiratory problem or a heart problem. What I noticed was that when I have cold air blowing in my nose, I feel wonderful as in when I am breathing in AC air. I know that air is generally dry, but I love that cold breeze. Would an ASV or a Bilevel machine blow cold air? Or do they both blow cold air that's easy to breathe? I definitely need a breathing machine that's for sure.
Post Reply Post Reply






Donate to Apnea Board  
#12
RE: ASV for those with Hypopneas?
Sleep Therapy Wrote:Anyway, after begging the doctor to do more tests, I might get a lung function test done as well as a heart test done. Hypopneas generally means a respiratory problem or a heart problem.

Not necessarily - many hypopneas are obstructive in nature, caused by a narrowing of your airway that's not enough to cause a complete blockage (which is an apnea). You mentioned in your earlier post that you have problems / discomfort with your soft palate, and that may be the main issue here. Have you had your doc investigate this? Normally CPAP is sufficient to splint the airway open by applying gentle pressure, which holds the throat, tongue and soft palate in an open position. The pressure really is quite gentle, and shouldn't cause you any pain or discomfort - it it does then something is wrong.

As Sleeprider said above, you might need to get that corrected (surgically) or it may be caused by the normal anxiety that many people experience when going onto therapy for the first time.

Quote:What I noticed was that when I have cold air blowing in my nose, I feel wonderful as in when I am breathing in AC air. I know that air is generally dry, but I love that cold breeze. Would an ASV or a Bilevel machine blow cold air? Or do they both blow cold air that's easy to breathe? I definitely need a breathing machine that's for sure.

ASV and Bilevel machines are basically the same as CPAP, except they have more sophisticated software and (possibly) a faster-responding motor. The temperature of the air will be the same. You can control the temperature and humidity of the air you're inhaling by adjusting your humidifier to give you the best comfort. But in truth I think that's a side issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
#13
RE: ASV for those with Hypopneas?
(11-25-2017, 01:40 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: [quote='Sleep Therapy']
Anyway, after begging the doctor to do more tests, I might get a lung function test done as well as a heart test done. Hypopneas generally means a respiratory problem or a heart problem.
Quote:Not necessarily - many hypopneas are obstructive in nature, caused by a narrowing of your airway that's not enough to cause a complete blockage (which is an apnea). You mentioned in your earlier post that you have problems / discomfort with your soft palate, and that may be the main issue here. Have you had your doc investigate this? Normally CPAP is sufficient to splint the airway open by applying gentle pressure, which holds the throat, tongue and soft palate in an open position. The pressure really is quite gentle, and shouldn't cause you any pain or discomfort - it it does then something is wrong.

As Sleeprider said above, you might need to get that corrected (surgically) or it may be caused by the normal anxiety that many people experience when going onto therapy for the first time.

I went to a good ENT specialist and he recommended against cutting out the soft pallet as it is extremely painful. I am sitting in front of an AC now and I have cold air blowing into my nose which is making breathing easier. Doc doesn't want me using CPAP but wants me on drugs. I am not sure they are the answer. I have tried a gentler pressure but the air pressure doesn't seem enough. I need more air. I feel like I am suffocating with a lower pressure.

Quote:What I noticed was that when I have cold air blowing in my nose, I feel wonderful as in when I am breathing in AC air. I know that air is generally dry, but I love that cold breeze. Would an ASV or a Bilevel machine blow cold air? Or do they both blow cold air that's easy to breathe? I definitely need a breathing machine that's for sure.
Quote:ASV and Bilevel machines are basically the same as CPAP, except they have more sophisticated software and (possibly) a faster-responding motor. The temperature of the air will be the same. You can control the temperature and humidity of the air you're inhaling by adjusting your humidifier to give you the best comfort. But in truth I think that's a side issue.

I have a exhaling problem with CPAP when it goes to high pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
#14
RE: ASV for those with Hypopneas?
I was diagnosed with severe Sleep  Respiratory Disorder in 1996. I did  great on fixed CPap for  18 years. 2 years ago I started using Apap and found varying AHI,so from 4 to 18 but mostly around 14 to 15. Thanks to this forum  I know that I can knock it down to be low 5, most likely 2. I am now on Res Med AirCurve 10 Vauto bipap Vpapauto mode for 3 weeks. Check out  this machine as it may help  you. I will  either go  for this or the ASV. If the Vauto does the  job  it is  a  great option especially for  the insurance.
Post Reply Post Reply






Donate to Apnea Board  


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Only Hypopneas & RERAs mktmgrjrm 3 99 07-22-2021, 02:06 PM
Last Post: 2SleepBetta
  Nearly 2 months in on CPAP, mostly hypopneas and centrals - not improving lazysunday 10 677 04-05-2021, 09:55 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  I can’t eliminate hypopneas on dreamstation ASV compared to Resmed ASV wwsleep 11 528 03-30-2021, 12:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [Treatment] Looking for ideas on how to reduce hypopneas chris9830 7 504 11-05-2020, 09:47 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Hypopneas or Central Apneas preferable? zzzZorro 9 602 09-29-2020, 02:59 PM
Last Post: zzzZorro
  Hypopneas vs Centrals – How to Optimize? jeffwpb 16 1,675 06-17-2020, 05:10 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Hypopneas correlated with flow reduction? PhoebeAnn 40 1,814 06-11-2020, 09:44 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94


New Posts   Today's Posts






About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.