Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV for those with Hypopneas?
ASV for those with Hypopneas?
Over the course of 1 year, my health has been deteriorating and I want to get to the bottom of this. Unfortunately, no matter where I turn to, I can't seem to fix the problem. CPAP although works in concept, the execution is often poor. At first cpap did help, but as soon as I started using it a bit more, I couldn't tolerate CPAP anymore. I kept taking off the mask no matter what pressure it was. Tried all sorts of things from different types of cpap machines to masks but same thing. Horrible sleep.

If I lower the pressure it feels like there isn't enough air going into my lungs which causes me to suffocate(extremely scary this!). If I increase the pressure, it sure feels great and the mood suddenly changes but then the back of my throat which causes the hypopneas starts to fatigue and Soft palette really starts to get sore. Then I have trouble exhaling which forces me to remove the mask in my sleep. I don't want to do surgery because how painful and un-successful it is. Dentures won't work either because it's the way my mouth is structured.

I am an extreme shallow breather because I have a bit of flesh in the back of my throat which prevents me from breathing sufficiently. I want to see if an ASV/Bilevel machine might help for obstructive events? I get the feeling that my body knows that cpap is not natural breathing but I am wanting more of a delayed cycled breathing machine that will breathe for it or something that will make me take deep breaths in and out not make me work to breathe. Breathing should be relaxing not taxing on the body which is cpap does. I know it sounds extreme but I like taking in deep breaths.

Please don't mention sleeping on your side because I have done that and they don't make me feel any better.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ASV for those with Hypopneas?
ASV/Bilevel is for complex and central apnea, which we can't rule out. That upper airway restriction might be correctable. Pressure support can do much of the work. If possible, can we start with your sleep study results and past CPAP experience and data?

When using the S9, what were your settings including EPR?
Did your data or sleep study suggest any issues with central apnea?

If you don't have centrals, an auto bilevel can provide the pressure support you seem to want, without the expense or prescription issues of ASV.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Without seeing a chart it's hard to say what you need. If Central Apnea is not involved I'd say your probably looking for BPAP like the DreamStation Auto BIPAP or the ResMed VAUTO. I think either one would help you out. But to be sure it would help if you posted a chart of your current data.

Below are links to down load sleepyhead a program that many use here to track detail data. Also the links show how to arrange the data and post it here.

Welcome to Apnea Board!
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2017, 10:09 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: ASV/Bilevel is for complex and central apnea, which we can't rule out.  That upper airway restriction might be correctable.  Pressure support can do much of the work.  If possible, can we start with your sleep study results and past CPAP experience and data?  

When using the S9, what were your settings including EPR?
Did your data or sleep study suggest any issues with central apnea?

If you don't have centrals, an auto bilevel can provide the pressure support you seem to want, without the expense or prescription issues of ASV.

No centrals, just obstructive hypopneas according to the sleep test I did. I did try EPR but like I said, CPAP when increasing the pressure feels weird and doesn't feel like natural breathing. The CPAP ramps up the frequency that it tries to shove more air down your throat and keep that frequency up forever which causes my brain to go into panic. Like you know, when you gasp for air? You get that moment of oh my gosh! It feels totally artificial and doesn't emulate natural breathing. The timing in these cpap machines are totally wrong. There is no delay in breathing which is no wonder why people have trouble getting used to them. With EPR off, at first it feels great, but then the soft palette starts to get very sore as it stays expanded and then it gets extremely difficult to breath out causing me to feel like I am suffocating. I don't care how much it costs because I can afford it but what I want is to feel better.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2017, 10:13 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Without seeing a chart it's hard to say what you need. If Central Apnea is not involved I'd say your probably looking for BPAP like the DreamStation Auto BIPAP or the ResMed VAUTO.  I think either one would help you out. But to be sure it would help if you posted a chart of your current data.

Below are links to down load sleepyhead a program that many use here to track detail data. Also the links show how to arrange the data and post it here.

Welcome to Apnea Board!

Bit difficult with only 1-2 hours of use. I am not sure how it would you guys?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleep Therapy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy and hopefully you will get the machine you want.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Sleep Therapy. Welcome to Apnea Board.

It's not uncommon for people to have problems adjusting to CPAP therapy - I well remember the sensation of "drowning in air" which occurs when the pressure goes up. The SleepyHead charts will definitely help us help you, even if there's only a few hours data. Follow the instructions in Walla Walla's links to get the charts properly formatted to give the most appropriate data.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are having trouble with cpap, asv will lift the top of your head off. better to get some sleepyhead charts up and see what is going on.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
What ajack says is true. CPAP does not time your breathing, but ASV does. Your description of CPAP cramming air down your throat and the timing being artificial is a product of stress and perception rather than reality. CPAP stands for continuous positive air pressure. It is simply enough pressure to keep your upper airway from collapsing so you can breath easily. In a leak-free CPAP interface there is no perception of increased airflow, wind or really pressure. It is there, but most of us have to pull the mask away, creating a leak to even know it is on.

Anxiety over CPAP is a common problem, and I know it's unhelpful to tell you to just stick with it, but that may be what it takes. Use it when you are comfortable watching TV or reading, try to condition yourself to experience the comfort and ease of breathing rather than fighting with leaks and seeing the pressure as intrusive. If you can't resolve the anxiety, you will join the 50% or so of users that fail at CPAP. The benefits of success can be well worth the effort.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.

Have you been using CPAP for a year? Or was it that your health had been deteriorating for a year?

We recommend downloading sleepyhead and uploading your sleepyhead charts through imgur so the learned users here can help you in detail. Most of us have not been lucky, unlike some, and have had to suffer through months of discomfort and anxiety to tolerate PAP therapy. But slowly, it does improve and waking hours after that is worth it. As others have noted, even an hour or two will show enough for them to decipher whats going on.

My own journey was a complete nightmare to start with. I would only have an hour at the time before I would rip off the mask. This would occur all night long so you can imagine trying to work full days for 5 days on the trot with those kind of nights. Living dead was my state in those days.

Hang on in there..........
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Help with Hypopneas! strugglingzombie 0 128 04-03-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: strugglingzombie
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 343 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 314 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Help Please - Hypopneas remain with BIPAP Newby 0 206 02-25-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Newby
  Hypopneas resolved, CA's persist--help! AZAwake 5 501 01-20-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Central Hypopneas suddenly! Kingsway 4 544 11-19-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Newly diagnosed - mostly centrals & hypopneas - advice please :) sleepymum81 5 945 08-31-2023, 09:32 PM
Last Post: jwest

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.