Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV keeps restarting
Sad 
ASV keeps restarting
Hey yall,

My machine is constantly turning on and off which has never happened before. I have had it randomly shut off once in a blue moon but this is constant now. I have an older Respironics 950 ASV Advanced machine. I was thinking of ordering a new power supply but as of right now im not sure what to do. I dont get any errors but it just keeps resetting. Last night it worked flawlessly. Any suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ASV keeps restarting
I'm not familiar with your machine, but does it have any settings for Auto Start/Stop? If so try turning them off.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The 50 series machines had a fault with a flow sensor not being attached to the main board by a screw that would hold it securely. We used to have a thread that described a repair, but I can't find it as it was a long time ago. Anyway, the machine shuts down when flow is not properly detected. Most 50 series machines that have this error will also display a service code or beep.  This Youtube video describes a good fix. We used to also apply a machine screw in the hole in the corner next to the flow sensor to hold it down, but if you can repair by cleaning that is better.  

Your 950 is very outdated. I strongly recommend replacing it, and if you do not have good insurnace coverage, you can source a lightly used Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV from Supplier #2. for $1699 It is a far better and more reliable machine than what you currently have.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2022, 09:08 AM)Jeff8356 Wrote: I'm not familiar with your machine, but does it have any settings for Auto Start/Stop?  If so try turning them off.

Alright ill give that a shot right now

Just to add context... I slept 2 hours last night with no issue. I then abruptly woke up to the machine resetting. It continued to reset. I then got up waited like 30 minutes and tried a different outlet. It was working for 5 minutes and then the restart process happened again. I have had random resets in the past but they were never anything like this
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2022, 09:08 AM)Jeff8356 Wrote: I'm not familiar with your machine, but does it have any settings for Auto Start/Stop?  If so try turning them off.

Okay so the machine did have that as a setting. I turned it off and about 5 minutes in it shut off/restarted. Thanks for the suggestion
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2022, 09:37 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The 50 series machines had a fault with a flow sensor not being attached to the main board by a screw that would hold it securely. We used to have a thread that described a repair, but I can't find it as it was a long time ago.  Anyway, the machine shuts down when flow is not properly detected.  Most 50 series machines that have this error will also display a service code or beep.  This Youtube video describes a good fix. We used to also apply a machine screw in the hole in the corner next to the flow sensor to hold it down, but if you can repair by cleaning that is better.  

Your 950 is very outdated. I strongly recommend replacing it, and if you do not have good insurnace coverage, you can source a lightly used Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV from Supplier #. for $1699 It is a far better and more reliable machine than what you currently have.

Yeah, I may take it in for repair with https://acbio.com/cpap-repair/ Not sure if its the best route right now. My machine doesnt unusually beep or show an error it just makes the regular beep when it is starting up and nothing like the video. Ill probably just put it in for repair since I dont really trust myself doing it myself although it seems somewhat simple

Its going to suck switching brands since ASV is very difficult to adjust to and switching companies will make it difficult again but it seems like my options are few. I will probably wear the machine during the day so I can more easily adjust to the ResMed. It took me around 3 months to get used to Respironics
Post Reply Post Reply
The pressure support on the Resmed is a world of difference from your ASV. You get a really rough square-wave pressure change that is abruptly on or off, while the Resmed ASV uses Easybreathe which shapes the pressure transitions to appear much more like your natural breathing. It targets your 90-second rolling average respiratory rate and volume to maintain minute vent, rather than the timing and volume targes that your old Philips sets. We have many users of ASV on this forum, and you won't even recognize the Resmed ASV as disruptive. There will be an adjustment, but you won't look back.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks very much man,

I have been worried so much about the adjustment. I actually tried the Resmed one night but it didn't feel good but thats probably because I have been on Respironics for years. I just have to deal with the initial struggle.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would guess that with the auto on and off disabled, and its still resetting, it would be a power supply. over heading I don't think would be an issue without an error code but anything is possible. Check to make sure that all the filters are clean and try a new power supply.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had this problem before. An electric issue caused it. If not the setting error. Try using different power sources to test the device. Like a power station.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Restarting CPAP jw421 15 782 02-05-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: jw421
  Restarting CPAP treatment, looking for guidance croc 17 1,373 09-09-2023, 02:34 AM
Last Post: jwest
Question [Treatment] Restarting CPAP. Struggling with sleep talan 19 2,446 04-12-2022, 08:18 PM
Last Post: talan
  S9 Autoset restarting kaywai 5 659 10-27-2021, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Restarting CPAP after 4 years: does machine need cleaning? Kevin521 3 1,357 03-04-2021, 09:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Restarting CPAP after 3 years StaffyGirl 7 3,694 04-05-2016, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Luvmyzzz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.