Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV machine?
ASV machine?
Hello,

My husband has sleep apena and several years ago we got him on this machine ResMed S9 VPAP™ ADAPT AND H5I™. Well with insurance changes and everything he hasn't been on it in several years. We're currently working to correct that. His new Dr wants him on a ASV machine and we've told him that we have a machine but he's said that the one we have won't work. From what I can tell there's not a lot of difference between the one we have and an ASV machine. I'm not sure which model but I suspect ResMed AIRCURVE™ 10 VAUTO WITH HUMIDAIR™. The DME wants to charge us $219 set up and $109 a month. Can you please help me to know what the difference is between the machine we have and an ASV machine? If we can avoid the crazy monthly fee by using what we all ready have I want to. THank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ASV machine?
Thanks for asking the question. I do not have an answer for you but feel sure someone will. I will look to reading their answers for my own education.

Wishing you well.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ask the doctor what it is that the ASV machine will do that the VPAP Adapt will not do and then check with Resmed and/or one of the online suppliers to make sure that he knows what he is talking about. I am not sure. I thought that they were basically the same.

Someone who knows more about those machines will come along and answer your question.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You are probably talking about the Aircurve ASV machine, quite different from the Vauto. Think that your S9 VAP Adapt and the Aircurve ASV are both adaptive servo-ventilators (ASV). You should ask the DME to show and explain the differences and why the newer machine would benefit your husband. the Aircurve Vauto is an auto bipap machine and does not have ASV ability.
Post Reply Post Reply
The S9 VPAP Adapt is an adaptive servo ventilator (ASV), as is the Aircurve 10 ASV. They use essentially the same components and electronics in different housings.

Note that the ResMed AIRCURVE™ 10 VAUTO WITH HUMIDAIR™ is NOT an ASV machine

The S9 VPAP Adapt came in two different models, one with AutoEPAP and an earlier one without. Look at the label on the back of the machine - the REF number should be 36007, 36037, 36047, 36057, 36377. (Most of the difference between these relate to whether they were packaged with the humidifier, heated hose etc.) The 36007 is the older version (no auto EPAP) and the others are the newer model. While auto EPAP is a nice feature to have it's not critical and not a reason to change machines if your existing one is working OK.

It may be the doctor is not aware of the specific machine you have, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But you can inform him that your machine is indeed an ASV and you don't need to fork out a fortune on a new one just now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi TataniaAvalon,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to your husband as he restarts his CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Till this is sorted out, for the time being, I would start on the adapt again. I wouldn't pay someone $200 unless it included a sleep test.
you could use the existing settings, or I would refer to page 41, as it has the initial default setup for both the ASV and ASVauto. Then with the help of the forum, the min epap is increased to minimise the OA, as per the instructions for titration.
https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...lo_eng.pdf

I would download sleepyhead and post the charts, details are at the top of the page.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your replies I appreciate it! I think I'm going to call the DME back and tell them what model of machine we have and see what exactly they want to provide and the difference between the two. Depending on their answer, I'm going to talk to the Dr and see exactly why he want's to put my husband on the different machine. From what my husband said it's because it's a newer model. But he's not as good with the medical stuff as I am so I need a medical reason for a new machine. I'll keep you updated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately there are doctors that don't understand the machines that they prescribe. That is why this forum is so important, it gives us who suffer from sleep apnea the ability to understand what we need. I know that I am in a much better place due to this forum, keep asking questions until you understand. It is better to be proactive than reactive. Good Luck!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,189 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,794 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,756 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,250 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.