Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV people. please help.
Sad 
ASV people. please help.
My FFM has been denting my face, from my having to tighten it to prevent leaks. I have tried several different mask liners; the homemade fleece or velour leaks a lot, cotton t-shirt material not so much.

The leaks cause the pressure to go way up, and then I get bad aerophagia, and leak reports in sleepyhead. I have asked DME for help, they ignore me, and I have to call them to remind them to send me a replacement cushion for my Simplus.

I've tried many masks, only to have this same problem, and the F10 hurt my nose.

How do you deal with this problem, ASV folks? Please help. Thank you. xo
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ASV people. please help.
I can't help with the ASV specific issue, but there are others here that will chime in with that.
I have used the Simplus and have my BiLevel set to higher pressure than your machine.
I changed from the Simplus to the Amara View and will never go back-face digging (bridge of my nose specifically)

Now for adjusting the Simplus: I was forever overtightening that mask to try and control leaks. I always ended up loosening the straps to get it to seal.
Once I start the pressure I would pull the mask "slightly" away from my face and let the silicon seal inflate to fit to my face, then let go and let it "float" there. When it would leak and blow into my eyes near the bridge of my nose, I would pull the mask toward my chin so it would seal better, sometimes pulling down on the back of the bottom straps to keep it from riding back up.

The Amara View can be quite tricky to get set right, at least for me, but when you get it right it is fantastic. It does not even touch my nose bridge Smile. When it's not fitted correctly I know it and just fiddle with it until I hit the sweet spot, no breathing resistance and the air flows directly into my nose-both sides.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
I also had problems with leaks with numerous masks. My sleep doc suggested I increase the pressure even higher. That lasted half a night.
I lowered my pressure (but not as low as you) and solved my leak problem.

Making the straps too tight is a classic cause of leaks.

If you must wear a full face mask, I would try the Amara View. I will be picking one up this week for my brother in law. That will also allow me to check it out thoroughly. If it works for him I will probably order one for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2015, 07:38 PM)bwexler Wrote: I also had problems with leaks with numerous masks. My sleep doc suggested I increase the pressure even higher. That lasted half a night.
I lowered my pressure (but not as low as you) and solved my leak problem.

Making the straps too tight is a classic cause of leaks.

If you must wear a full face mask, I would try the Amara View. I will be picking one up this week for my brother in law. That will also allow me to check it out thoroughly. If it works for him I will probably order one for me.

Tried the Amara View, and no matter what I did, it would not stop leaking.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JVinNE,
The only one that's worked for me is the Mirage Quattro. I had to go up a size cause of some mouth breathing and bottom lip hanging out then. It took a few days to fine tune the straps and forehead dial. 1 increment at a time.
Finding the best mask sure can be a challenge.
Good luck.

Post Reply Post Reply
The Simplus should deal with a max of 13 easily. My auto machine is maxed at 16 When i use the simplus and leaks are fine
Thats over a beard. The simplus rides lower than some ffm.
Either you have the wrong size or your over tightening the top straps.
If the cushion on a Simplus is denting your face you definitely are WAY over tightening it.
Too tight the cushion cannot seal as designed and it will leak.
If the forehead support bar is touching your forehead its to tight on the top straps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2015, 12:58 AM)Ghost1958 Wrote: The Simplus should deal with a max of 13 easily. My auto machine is maxed at 16 When i use the simplus and leaks are fine
If the cushion on a Simplus is denting your face you definitely are WAY over tightening it.
If the forehead support bar is touching your forehead its to tight on the top straps.

Thank you very much. I will try this. I also purchased a secondary mask; an Airfit F10. Going to try it with a liner again just to see how I do with it. I could go back and forth?

Post Reply Post Reply
I have some questions about your settings. You list Min EPAP=5,Max IPAP=13, PS=1-2. I am assuming that you are in ASV Auto mode. According to the clinicians manual there is a Max EPAP but no Max IPAP-maybe just a slip of the typing finger. According to the clinician manual the Min PS can be set 0-6. The max PS can be set 5-20. Was your PS=1-2 meant to be PS=1-20.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2015, 12:58 AM)Ghost1958 Wrote: The Simplus should deal with a max of 13 easily. My auto machine is maxed at 16 When i use the simplus and leaks are fine

I agree with what Ghost says with one exception. At my pressure of 20 cm/H2O I had to have the forehead support tightly against my forehead in order to minimize leaks at the bridge of the nose. I tried it loose first and tried to work around it but to no avail. Had to tighten the upper straps up. I think the difference between Ghost and me is our respective pressure. When I was trying the Simplus I was running straight bilevel at 16/20 EPAP/IPAP.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone interested in starting an online self-help video chat for people with SA/UARS? JamesD0079 0 374 10-26-2023, 09:56 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  [Diagnosis] AHI scores - what sort of range do people have? p123 4 527 10-14-2023, 09:49 AM
Last Post: jstro84
  CPAP Problems for People with Large Lung Capacity? AquaMan 7 1,040 09-17-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Advice for first time CPAP traveller - sharing a room with people. Hopingforachange 5 671 07-19-2023, 01:30 PM
Last Post: djont57
  what are people doing with the Respironics recall replacements? KuriApollo 8 984 06-23-2023, 06:59 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
Question How many people use Notes? B1Sailor 8 853 01-31-2023, 09:49 AM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  Mouth tape for bearded people accetableplaintain 8 3,299 08-03-2022, 04:39 PM
Last Post: accetableplaintain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.