Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV questions
RE: ASV questions
I see the same thing as Vaughn . Get the Obstructive events under control first.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Vaughn, thank you so much for your input. It makes sense to me and does not contradict anything I am experiencing and/or already tried. And most of all you did not just tell me to "get used to it". For me it is real and very disturbing.

Looking at sleepyhead I see:
average EPAP 5.14-5.97
min EPAP 4.02
max EPAP 11.00- 11.48
90% IPAP 12.08
Min IPAP 8.02
My machine is set at Max IPAP 15, Min EPAP 5, and PS 4

Please help me clarify:
In sleephead I see IPAP=8.07, PS=4, and EPAP=4.07 which all adds up, but I don't understand how I can get EPAP of 4.07 if my Min EPAP is set to 5?

I don't see a 95% EPAP so... okay so now I have no idea what to do. I assume to leave IPAP unchanged. PS also unchanged? EPAP move from 5.0 towards???

Hit me over the head with it. seriously, I want to get this right.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thinking more:
if my IPAP 90% is 12 and EPAP should be IPAP - PS are you suggesting that I walk my EPAP min up to 12 - 4 -1 = 7?
Post Reply Post Reply
I think 12/7 is the goal to prevent obstructive hypopnea which is basically the PB your are seeing. As far as any minimum values on the Aircurve 10 in Sleepyhead, I don't give them much attention or credibility. The minimums, other than settings, are not particularly useful, and I actually reported them as a bug to Mark at one time. I was told that these are values the machine actually reports. Nevertheless, they have almost no useful meaning.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
After two nights: upped EPAP by 1 cm and the breathing pattern is almost gone, about 80% reduction. Silly me I thought that 1 cm would be a piece of cake, and is turning out a little more difficult to get used to than I thought, what a surprise Smile

Planning to continue the next 1cm in steps and not one jump, maybe, but it sure seems to be working finally.

Thanks to all who have helped me with suggestions and not a single "just get used to it"
Love this board and the people here!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2016, 11:46 AM)PoolQ Wrote: After two nights: upped EPAP by 1 cm and the breathing pattern is almost gone, about 80% reduction. Silly me I thought that 1 cm would be a piece of cake, and is turning out a little more difficult to get used to than I thought, what a surprise Smile

Planning to continue the next 1cm in steps and not one jump, maybe, but it sure seems to be working finally.

Thanks to all who have helped me with suggestions and not a single "just get used to it"
Love this board and the people here!

I'm glad things are working out.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2016, 11:46 AM)PoolQ Wrote: After two nights: upped EPAP by 1 cm and the breathing pattern is almost gone, about 80% reduction. Silly me I thought that 1 cm would be a piece of cake, and is turning out a little more difficult to get used to than I thought, what a surprise Smile
A lot of us have what can be thought of as a "maximum pressure" in terms of comfort. And even a modest 1cm increase when we're near that level can take a while to get used to.

That's why it's important to give your body a chance to fully adjust to any change in settings before making another adjustment.

Quote:Planning to continue the next 1cm in steps and not one jump, maybe, but it sure seems to be working finally.
If need be, increase the pressure by 0.4cm steps instead of 1cm steps.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2016, 05:55 PM)PoolQ Wrote: My machine is set at Max IPAP 15, Min EPAP 5, and PS 4

Please help me clarify:
In sleephead I see IPAP=8.07, PS=4, and EPAP=4.07 which all adds up, but I don't understand how I can get EPAP of 4.07 if my Min EPAP is set to 5?

Perhaps on at least one night covered by the SleepyHead report you were using the Ramp with a Start Pressure of 4?

(05-08-2016, 06:12 PM)PoolQ Wrote: Thinking more:
if my IPAP 90% is 12 and EPAP should be IPAP - PS are you suggesting that I walk my EPAP min up to 12 - 4 -1 = 7?

Yes, exactly.

But no need to increase Min EPAP all the way up to 7 unless the obstructive events continue to be the main problem while slowly walking the pressure higher (meaning, while making small incremental adjustments once a week or less frequently, before incrementing again).

Sometimes higher pressure causes its own problems, and a compromise needs to be made between raising the Min EPAP high enough to avoid obstructive events versus keeping the pressure low in order to avoid excessive air swallowing, or whatever.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well it looks like I may have it dialed in.
I first changed TiMax to 4.0, the longest possible because I was feeling that my inhale was being cut off too soon
I then change both the trigger and cycle to very high from high, better but something was still wrong. I changed the cycle back to high and this was better still.

I had now decreased my nightly arousals by 50%

With the advice above I increased my EPEP by 1cm to 6 from 5, better still
Increased EPAP to 6.8 and took a step back on this, not so good here
went back to 5.2 and stepped it up one notch at a time with 2-3 days on each step.
I looked at sleephead and counted how many time I had gotten out of bed and got a nice curve if decreasing and the increasing, minimum was at EPAP set to 6.4 and yes it was that sensitive, typical for me.

I now only wake up when I need to use the bathroom! So very nice. I am so glad because I looked at the ASV machines and from what I can tell they have fewer adjustments than my VPAP, no Timin, Timax, cycle, trigger so I was not sure where I would have gone from VPAP if I could not have gotten it dialed in.

Thanks to all who have helped me finally get a good nights sleep (my wife can tell right away in the morning). For those that are having trouble dialing in a good nights sleep, they might want to consider these VPAP settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is something that I do not understand. Could you explain why you increased the cycle sensitivity to very high when it sounds like you have felt that your inhale was being cut off too soon. Just curious because increasing the cycle sensitivity looks like it should cut off your inhale sooner according to Resmed's chart on page 5 of the clinicians manual.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 143 11 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 305 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 463 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,593 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie questions - What am I seeing? lmftit 0 358 09-04-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: lmftit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.