Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV questions
RE: ASV questions
yep, it did just that. I was trying to get the start and end more sensitive (accurate?) but as you say it just made it cycle sooner. Didn't really think it through, and didn't leave it set to very high for more than a few minutes and I could tell that is was wrong direction.

I have to wonder if at least some people that give up on CPAP are having the same problem I was having with the machine not syncing up with my breathing. My FIL has made like 3 adjustments to his VPAP and has been fine ever since, for me I seem to be very sensitive to anything that disturbs by breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2016, 05:24 PM)PaytonA Wrote: increasing the cycle sensitivity looks like it should cut off your inhale sooner according to Resmed's chart on page 5 of the clinicians manual.

Right.

PoolQ - "High" sensitivity means it will be advanced and happen earlier, and "Low" sensitivity means it will be delayed and happen later. If you would like the IPAP pressure to cycle back to EPAP later, I suggest you try setting Cycle sensitivity to Medium or Low.

However, just like increasing the setting for Pressure Support may increase the number of central events we get, anything which makes IPAP last longer may also increase the number of central events we get.

So, please note that although advancing Trigger to High or Very High may be more comfortable, this will make IPAP last longer and therefore may increase the number of central events we get.

Similarly, although delaying Cycle to Low or Very Low may be more comfortable, this will make IPAP last longer and therefore may increase the number of central events we get.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Vsheline as always thank you for your input. For now I just changed the one (left it changed anyway) with no impact on my central count. Your suggestion of increasing the starting pressure because of my breathing pattern is what made the final difference.

I just went back and looked at the waveform. I used to have recovery breaths that declined to very close to zero in-between and repeating.

Now I still get the repeating pattern but the low point is no where close to zero, so overall more actual breathing going on with productive breaths. Seems to have made all the difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
After thinking about this some more, I now remember why I was adjusting the trigger and cycle sensitivity. I had been reading about ventilators and how important it was to "sync" them to the natural breathing pattern of the patient.

I was not trying to lengthen the inhale time, I had set that at max of 4 seconds just to get it out of the way. This time setting does not force you to inhale longer, but if you try to extend your inhale longer than this setting it will drop the pressure. This is what got me started looking into this area in the first place, default is 3 seconds and my inhale is around 3.6.

My attempt to "sync" the start and stop if inhale worked and finally got me to the point I am at.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 158 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,595 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie questions - What am I seeing? lmftit 0 358 09-04-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: lmftit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.