Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV users - effects of higher pressure vs CPAP?
ASV users - effects of higher pressure vs CPAP?
Hi there,

I could use some experienced advice in regards to pressure with ASV treatment. I'm considering ASV but I know from my CPAP that even moderate pressure (8 to 10) causes inflammation  of my nasal passages. For awhile now I've been able to CPAP with a pressure of 5 causing my passages no distress at all. My understanding of ASV is that the pressure will need to be much higher.
So my question is ... does ASV pressure have the same effect as CPAP, given that the pressure is not constant?
And, are there other considerations as far comfort or complications that I should be aware of?

Thanks for any input!

Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ASV users - effects of higher pressure vs CPAP?
Steve, ASV is a different animal, and while it can be set to provide a pressure of 5.0, it also provide pressure support to resolve central apnea and hypopnea on a breath by breath basis. If you need that, it can be great. The increase pressure is only during the inhale portion of respiration, and it does part or all of the work for you. Since exhale pressure remains low, it is usually not as irritating. There are some things that work for people with nasal irritation as well.

I recall you posted a night a low fixed pressure with an AHI of 4, consisting of CA and H events with some periodic breathing. You may have complex apnea, and ASV may be a good solution. A typical setup for someone like you that resolves OA at low pressure is an EPAP minimum pressure of 4 with a pressure support range on IPAP of 2 to 10. That normally takes care of all events, but can result in up to 14 cm on inhale. I'm sure if you go that route, we can find a way to resolve your nasal discomfort.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, thanks for that information, it's what I'm looking for. I have been using prescription nasal spray recently  that helps alot. And I'll be geeting a deviated septum fixed in a few weeks to make breathing easier too. I would like to have a trial machine from our sleep clinic if possible so I'm loading up with information and speaking to the tech in an hour or so.
I notice you have an Aircurve 10 Vauto and wondering if that is similar to ASV?
Post Reply Post Reply
Found that answer! Definitely not the same. And the ASV is for me I'd say.
Post Reply Post Reply
exactly. I get the same pressure support on every breath, but the Vauto can change pressure to prevent obstructive events. The ASV can change pressure support on a breath by breath basis as well as EPAP pressure. Big difference.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay then ... I'm booking another sleep test for the ASV. I'll be testing the Respironics version as the clinic doesn't use Resmed. But from what I've read here the Resmed is my choice.
Thanks again for the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome
Let us know how your ASV quest progresses. I can share some pointers, experiences, etc. I'm going to make an apples to oranges comparison, but I'm hoping you'll allow it.

On my path to ASV, I had to fail CPAP and BiPAP. Both these were Respironics devices, BiPAP was a DreamStation, while the CPAP was an I-don't-remember model. My ASV though is ResMed. IMO ResMed is better where it counts, what you get through that mask. AKA the apnea therapy. The comparison I alluded to was ResMed ASV vs DreamStation BiPAP. While they're kinda sorta similar, the are different animals in brand and in level of device. So OK an unfair comparison plugged in. But that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I have far better therapy on my ResMed. Now I'll be honest and transparent as well. The DreamStation BiPAP was part of my problem if you will, it's therapy caused my central apnea. Not saying I'm biased against Respironics, but I'm sticking to the ResMed for ASV.

OK, hope the chatter helps. And best regards on the ASV quest. BTW arm yourself with every bit of knowledge on central and mixed apnea, and ASV devices you're able to get. It helps tremendously. And of course, ask away here too.

Dave B.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Dave, thanks for the input, it does help.

I'm not real hopeful that the sleep clinic will schedule an overnight but I should get to see the main doc. A referral was sent their way and a consult should happen in about 2 months. And I will post when I have some more to share.

Steve
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,023 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 437 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 103 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 236 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 22 3,429 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: godiego
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 277 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 444 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.