Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV vs APAP?
Hi,

I’m a bit puzzled and I would like to know if my understanding is right.

I did some reading to find the difference between an APAP machine and an ASV machine.
Is it true to say that we would all be better with an ASV machine because it can adapt the pressure for each of our breath BUT that our sleep doctors don’t prescribed them first because of the cost difference? 

If someone has the money, would he benefits from getting an ASV machine?  Any bad side effect i don’t understand?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
The primary purpose of ASV is to provide non-invasive ventilation of an individual having a central apnea. Other than that functionality, it is similar to an auto-bilevel (BiPAP/VPAP). While I think these machines are under-prescribed to those that could benefit, I would not encourage anyone without a need to get ASV. As you probably know, we can set up ASV to function as a CPAP, auto CPAP, auto bilevel and of course with a backup rate and pressure support for centrals. I don't think most people have the desire or expertise to deal with ASV, and there are no studies that would support a doctor in prescribing ASV for someone that does not need it. For the few that might pursue it on their own, I don't think there would be much, if any, harm; but why?
Post Reply Post Reply
That is one point of view.Relative prices from 1 supplier
ASV $2999 CPAP, ASV, ASV Auto
VAuto $1766 CPAP, BiLevel S, VAuto (Auto-BiLevel)
Autoset $ 883 CPAP, Auto CPAP

Each machine has different modes, different algorithms with which to maximize treatment.

Insurance wants to spend a minimum to treat you. (Minimizes cost)
DME wants to provide the cheapest allowed. (maximizes profit)
The Dr. wants something that treats you effectively (AHI under 5.0)
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi vinhuard,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP vs APAP Phatkid77 6 240 08-15-2017, 10:45 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Weinmann / Löwenstein Prisma 20A Auto CPAP: APAP settings: standard vs. dynamic Costas P 1 262 08-14-2017, 02:02 PM
Last Post: yrnkrn
  Questions to Resmed Airstart APAP discontinued production. sharp56 9 340 08-12-2017, 12:55 PM
Last Post: tedgreen
  Guide to choosing APAP machine slarai 4 206 08-12-2017, 11:01 AM
Last Post: tedgreen
  Question about APAP machines and sensitivity to hypopneas slarai 4 234 08-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Walla Walla
  Visited my Dr today for 1st visit since starting APAP speed3914 5 279 07-27-2017, 07:39 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Follow up- APAP noise Tahera11979 0 157 07-22-2017, 07:39 AM
Last Post: Tahera11979