Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does the amplitude of flow rate have significance?
Does the amplitude of flow rate have significance?
Hi everyone,

My data on sleepyhead shows an amplitude for the flow rate of +/-11, as in my peaks tend to be around 11 and my troughs around -11.  When I look at other people's charts, their amplitudes seem much larger.  What is the significance of this, if any?

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does the amplitude of flow rate have significance?
It means you breath less air in and out. It varies based on the size of the person. It's also connected to Tidal Volume. You can google tidal volume charts and check on them to see whats normal for your ideal weight.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
The tidal chart says my tidal volume should be 360-470. Sleepyhead says mine was 414. I am a medium size female, fairly thin with a delicate build. Is there any problem with breathing less air in and out?
Post Reply Post Reply
Nope no problem. It sounds like your numbers are right where they should be.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! You don't think shallow breathing like that is a kind of central sleep apnea? Or would it need to be shallower than that to pose a problem?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think your tidal volume indicates shallow breathing. Your breathing normally as far as volume goes. In the case of central apnea there wouldn't be any air flow during an event. it would be flat. Obstructive events could cause a reduction in flow without stop it though. If you think you have a problem with that go ahead and post a chart of using sleepyhead and someone can help you with that. There's links below for downloading sleepyhead and posting if you need them.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 102 Yesterday, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 267 Yesterday, 02:18 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 243 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 315 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,414 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 114 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 118 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.