Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV vs APAP?
ASV vs APAP?
Hi,

I’m a bit puzzled and I would like to know if my understanding is right.

I did some reading to find the difference between an APAP machine and an ASV machine.
Is it true to say that we would all be better with an ASV machine because it can adapt the pressure for each of our breath BUT that our sleep doctors don’t prescribed them first because of the cost difference? 

If someone has the money, would he benefits from getting an ASV machine?  Any bad side effect i don’t understand?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ASV vs APAP?
The primary purpose of ASV is to provide non-invasive ventilation of an individual having a central apnea. Other than that functionality, it is similar to an auto-bilevel (BiPAP/VPAP). While I think these machines are under-prescribed to those that could benefit, I would not encourage anyone without a need to get ASV. As you probably know, we can set up ASV to function as a CPAP, auto CPAP, auto bilevel and of course with a backup rate and pressure support for centrals. I don't think most people have the desire or expertise to deal with ASV, and there are no studies that would support a doctor in prescribing ASV for someone that does not need it. For the few that might pursue it on their own, I don't think there would be much, if any, harm; but why?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is one point of view.Relative prices from 1 supplier
ASV $2999 CPAP, ASV, ASV Auto
VAuto $1766 CPAP, BiLevel S, VAuto (Auto-BiLevel)
Autoset $ 883 CPAP, Auto CPAP

Each machine has different modes, different algorithms with which to maximize treatment.

Insurance wants to spend a minimum to treat you. (Minimizes cost)
DME wants to provide the cheapest allowed. (maximizes profit)
The Dr. wants something that treats you effectively (AHI under 5.0)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi vinhuard,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2017, 08:13 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: As you probably know, we can set up ASV to function as a CPAP, auto CPAP, auto bilevel and of course with a backup rate and pressure support for centrals.

Is this true of the ResMed AirCurve ASV?  I thought it did only straight CPAP if you chose not to use the ASV capability ...
Post Reply Post Reply
It can be setup with CPAP setting, but the auto-CPAP and auto bilevel are end up having limited pressure support, but the pacewave continues to trigger IPAP. Jesse Lee tried to do this and ended up going back to the Aircurve 10 Vauto. It is a different feel from the CPAP and VPAP without backup rates. In his case, he did not have any central apnea, and that is why the experiment does not really apply to your situation. In any event, I learned from JesseLee's experiment, and have not made this assertion again.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
IDK if the aircurve 10 asv can be made to work like apap but the modes offered are cpap, asv and asv auto.

as often as it's been explained, I still find the naming similarities between the asv and vauto(?) to be very confusing, as are the different types or modes of the non-asv bilevel (since I haven't used those machines).
Post Reply Post Reply
I ask because I'm trying to decide whether to pick on an ASV that I've found for a reasonable price, in the hopes that it will improve my CAs. But if it doesn't work, and it turns out I'd be better on VPAP, I'm outta luck. (I assumed that I would sell my VPAP machine if I got an ASV).
Post Reply Post Reply
Allan, what I've seen is that the modes the ASV can deliver will work just fine for you. It can work as a bilevel, but you can't turn off the automatic backup rate and it won't work with less than 3 or 4 cm of pressure support. I think you can use EPAP min of 4 to 15, and PS from a minimum of zero, but you have to use a PS max of 3 or 4 cm higher than the minimum. What we know about your therapy, is that if this is a Resmed machine, you're going to use the initial settings for ASVauto mode of EPAP min 5.0, EPAP max 15, PS min 3.0, PS max 15.0 and just go from there to optimize once you are used to it. Your AHI is probably going to be near zero from the start, but there may be some residual hypopnea or if you have residual obstructive apnea, the EPAP min is going to have to go higher.

I have only known of two people that chose not to continue with ASVauto once they tried it, and one of those didn't need it. That individual traded his ASV through Supplier #2 for a Vauto. In other words, if you have a good deal, there is no risk.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 372 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 576 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 434 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,422 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,151 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 588 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.