Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV vs ASVAUTO?
ASV vs ASVAUTO?
I'm confused on the differences between these two devices. 

Anyone care to explain in simple terms that I can comprehend with my brain fogged minded?

I think I may be approved for ASV. Is there one of these two devices ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV or ResMed AirCurve 10 ASVAUTO that I should hope will be approved?

Thanks for all the help!

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ASV vs ASV VAUTO?
Bill,
There's a Air Curve VAUTO which is the same as a BiPAP. Than there is the Air Curve ASV which is for Clear and complex apnea.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2017, 03:05 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Bill,  
       There's a Air Curve VAUTO which is the same as a BiPAP. Than there is the Air Curve ASV which is for Clear and complex apnea.

Sorry, I'm feeling brain-fogged.

I'm now guessing (?) there is one ASV machine with two modes ASV and ASVAuto?

ResMed lists both modes. Are both modes in all ASV devices?

Who uses which modes?

Bill

https://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/pr...0-asv.html
Post Reply Post Reply
OK I was wrong there. When in doubt go auto. You can always set it to non auto.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2017, 03:21 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: OK I was wrong there. When in doubt go auto. You can always set it to non auto.

You see my confusion. 

I just got off with the sleep center tech and suggested there are two ASV models. But I'm still not sure if he is correct. There are two modes.

I have been recommended for ASV by the interpreting physician.

Now I need to know if I should lobby for one machine over another if there are two different machines.

Any experts here want to chime in?

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
OK The one you want is the Air Curve ASV Auto. You can set it in Auto mode or non auto mode. If you scan down the chart you linked to there's only one ASV.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
using your link, ASVAuto mode is one of the modes on the ASV machine.
on the one asv machine model, you have cpap mode, asv mode and asvauto mode.
you can see this if you scroll down to functional features, where it shows various models

In the older S9 models some adapt asv were asv/auto and some were not. This isn't an issue anymore
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2017, 07:19 PM)ajack Wrote: using your link, ASVAuto mode is one of the modes on the ASV machine.
on the one asv machine model, you have cpap mode, asv mode and asvauto mode.
you can see this if you scroll down to functional features, where it shows various models

In the older S9 models some adapt asv were asv/auto and some were not. This isn't an issue anymore

Thanks for clearing that up! 

Out of curiosity, do you know if the ASV will do APAP? I see CPAP listed in the options.

With luck (and some possible insurance struggles) I may be joining you soon.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's be clear about what this machine does. In ASVauto mode, the machine will titrate EPAP within the set range, and will provide pressure support for centrals, hypopnea and periodic breathing within the set pressure support range. The need for pressure support will be based on the Pacewave algorithm. (you can research these terms).

In ASV mode, you can still set a range of pressure support, but you will need to set the fixed EPAP pressure, and decide on the backup rate in breaths per minute. This works for people that want minimal interference with spontaneous breathing.

In CPAP mode the machine provides fixed CPAP. For your question, we need to go back to AutoASV mode. To simulate APAP, we set the EPAP min and EPAP max to the range desired for APAP to prevent obstructive apnea. We can then set pressure support to zero for true Auto CPAP, or set the minimum and maximum pressure support to a value that gives an auto bilevel effect or APAP with EPR. It gets complicated, and if you find yourself in this position, just ask, and we can guide you. It would really be a huge waste of a $5000 machine to set it up for APAP...JMHO. In your case, we would set it up for ASVauto, and it would mostly act as an auto CPAP but take care of the occasional CA and hypopnea. Residual OA would appear on this machine as UA. We can set the minimum pressure support for 0-2 for minimal support in most breathing, but the ASVauto would add pressure support to that when your effort results in less than normal volume or rate.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2017, 08:27 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Let's be clear about what this machine does.  In ASVauto mode, the machine will titrate EPAP within the set range, and will provide pressure support for centrals, hypopnea and periodic breathing within the set pressure support range.  The need for pressure support will be based on the Pacewave algorithm.  (you can research these terms).

In ASV mode, you can still set a range of pressure support, but you will need to set the fixed EPAP pressure, and decide on the backup rate in breaths per minute.  This works for people that want minimal interference with spontaneous breathing.  

In CPAP mode the machine provides fixed CPAP.  For your question, we need to go back to AutoASV mode.  To simulate APAP, we set the EPAP min and EPAP max to the range desired for APAP to prevent obstructive apnea.  We can then set pressure support to zero for true Auto CPAP, or set the minimum and maximum pressure support to a value that gives an auto bilevel effect or APAP with EPR.   It gets complicated, and if you find yourself in this position, just ask, and we can guide you.  It would really be a huge waste of a $5000 machine to set it up for APAP...JMHO.  In your case, we would set it up for ASVauto, and it would mostly act as an auto CPAP but take care of the occasional CA and hypopnea. Residual OA would appear on this machine as UA.  We can set the minimum pressure support for 0-2 for minimal support in most breathing, but the ASVauto would add pressure support to that when your effort results in less than normal volume or rate.

I trust I'll have no need to set an ASV machine to CPAP or APAP. It was just simple curiosity about which algorithms were built into the machine. As you say, it would be a waste of an expensive ASV machine (especially since I own an APAP machine).

I also trust that I'll look to you for help and advice. I'm not an unintelligent person, but I don't know if it is is sleep deprivation/brain-fog or some other reason, but understanding the complexities of these machines, the settings, and differences in algorithms on a level that you obviously enjoy, is beyond me at the moment.

I just wanted to make sure I didn't get the wrong machine.

I want my brain back. I will have plenty of questions.

I really appreciated your time and expertise. It is a comfort to have you here!

Best,

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Respiratory depression from ASVauto? Dutchie 5 638 08-05-2023, 12:01 PM
Last Post: Dutchie
  Low AHI with Aircurve 10 ASVAuto Still tired/headache/waking up at night Jarlo 19 2,098 06-26-2023, 09:49 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
  HELP needed titrating ASVauto (UARS) Dutchie 8 922 12-10-2022, 09:56 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question ASV Mode vs ASVAuto Mode - What's the Difference? RayBee 26 7,847 08-21-2021, 08:16 PM
Last Post: S. Manz
  Difference between ASV and ASVAuto Karlin 2 1,385 10-20-2020, 08:40 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] ASVAuto and aerophagia Vilippo 4 1,343 08-21-2019, 02:51 AM
Last Post: Vilippo
  [Equipment] Resmed ASVauto Bob Engelhardt 5 1,432 03-05-2017, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.