Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV
ASV
Hello, I was wondering what is better for UARS bipap or ASV. I currently use a CPAP on min pressure 10 but don’t feel any better. Would ASV be better at auto titrating than a Bi pap would? Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ASV
We typically recommend a Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto for UARS above any other device. ASV has limited options for settings and is designed for central and complex apnea. Read this post I made for another member with UARS and feel free to review his experience with CPAP which mirrors your own. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid434686

If you want a more tailored response, let's see some data to understand the extent of your flow limitation or other problems.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is my OSCAR data. is was to my understanding that ASV had a better algorithm but i could be wrong. for the Bipap can i trust the machine to use the auto mode or does it have to be self titrated?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Well you're using CPAP mode with a 45 minute ramp from 4 cm before you reach 10 cm. You don't use EPR or any other feature of your machine. EPR (exhale pressure relief) makes your machine a bilevel with up to 3 cm pressure difference between inhale (IPAP) and exhale (EPAP) pressures. Your CA events are insignificant in terms of central apnea, maybe before we discuss ASV or bilevel we should take a look at what can be accomplished with what you are currently using. May I ask how you have concluded you have UARS? Your CPAP results show a moderate level of flow limitation, and we can probably drop that significantly by turning on your EPR.

If you're willing, to try something different, let's try the following setitngs:
Mode: Autoset Standard
Minimum Pressure 7.0
Maximum pressure 14.0
EPR On Full-Time
EPR Setting 2
Ramp Off

This is going to give you some bilevel pressure starting at 7.0/5.0 (inhale/exhale) and up to 14.0/12.0. Your pressure will stabilize and flow limitations will be reduced. I'd like to take you to EPR 3 but I'd like to see some results from this more moderate setting first.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok thank you. I will try those settings tonight. I was diagnosed with UARS before using CPAP. I saw a lot of people say they don’t get good results from CPAP so I assumed I still had UARS while using CPAP
Post Reply Post Reply
Just my opinion, but your learning curve as in jumping from the garden hose CPAP to fire hose ASV will be a steep verticals cliff to climb. And with the 10 CA events in 7 hours on this chart, ASV isn't necessary if this is typical. ASV would be an impossible sale with this data.

Try the edits Sleeprider mentions then maybe consider VAuto if this doesn't pan out with a good try. The VAuto has timing controls that will be sorely missed on ASV.

From a guy that used ASV due to extra high CA with CPAP, BPAP, or no PAP.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try Sleepriders settings then post the full night plus 3 random 3-minute views as that should provide a pretty good idea of underlying flow limitations.
Post Reply Post Reply
it looks like it did reduce flow limitation but i still don't feel any better. is it possible it could be under reporting flow limitation? i would post the report but it is not letting me attach.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's get a chart up and take a look at some respiratory flow closeups. If you really expect that you will feel remarkably better after one good night of therapy, then we need to reset your expectations. It will come back in small steps, but assuming you have suffered with flow limitation and arousal for some years, it will take time to heal.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Do you think I would feel better on a Bipap machine?
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.