Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Aargh! (help!) - not feeling better on APAP
RE: Aargh! (help!) - not feeling better on APAP
(08-11-2013, 11:23 PM)mraley82 Wrote: To top it off I have sporadic insomnia so I don't end up using the machine because I can't fall asleep in my bed and for some reason I only can on the couch.

Bring the CPAP machine to the couch.

What you are experiencing is a typical adjustment to CPAP therapy. Your brain is used to having to wake you up to breathe, and now it's trying to adjust to the fact that it no longer has to do that. Those spurts of events you're seeing your data will gradually subside and you will start to notice an improvement in the way you feel and are able to function.

First and foremost, though, you cannot train your brain unless you use the CPAP machine every time you sleep.

Next is getting a good fitting mask. If the full face mask you're using doesn't fit try another. There are many options including hybrid masks. Just keep bugging the VA until they realize you aren't going away and you're not giving up.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2013, 06:48 PM)mraley82 Wrote: What's an "acceptable" nightly leak rate? At what point should I be able to know I've made the correct adjustments?

The Resmed machines report what is called the 'unintentional' leak rate, which is simply the total leak (as measured by the machine) minus the mask's 'intentional' leak through the breathing holes. That makes it easy for you to know how much you're leaking without having to work out the numbers. The upper limit for an acceptable leak in ResScan is 24 L/min. Beyond that the treatment is considered ineffective.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2013, 09:16 PM)Paptillian Wrote: The Resmed machines report what is called the 'unintentional' leak rate, which is simply the total leak (as measured by the machine) minus the mask's 'intentional' leak through the breathing holes.

Oh, please don't call them "breathing holes". Please call them "air vents" and explain that they allow a constant airflow so that you are always getting fresh air on every breath.

Calling them "breathing holes" brings to mind a picture of having to breathe through those small vents. Yes, strictly speaking you _are_ exhaling through those vents, but that mental imagery is scary.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 90 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 374 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 577 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 261 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 440 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,427 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,152 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.