Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Abbreviations, software, etc... Questions
RE: Abbreviations, software, etc... Questions
My AHI is still rather high -- avg of 15 (although 11.8 last night). High to me, anyway. I called my DME provider and told her --- she checked my numbers and said she'd call the sleep doc to get a pressure change okayed for me; then would change the pressure for me. I'm still waiting a couple of days later. She didn't sound real pleased when I told her I had downloaded software to read my numbers and that I was concerned about the AHI number.
I'm wondering if she actually called the doctor?
And I am wondering if I need to do the pressure change myself? Does anyone have a link which gives me instruction on this?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2014, 11:53 AM)Clementine Wrote: I'm wondering if she actually called the doctor?
I would call the dr myself. In my case, my primary is very up on the use of CPap/BiPap and would most likely make a suggestion on a change herself.

She not only knows I have the software but thinks it is great that I can manage control of it if necessary and discuss it with her.

DME has been out of the picture about 2 weeks after I got the machine 6 years ago.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2014, 11:53 AM)Clementine Wrote: My AHI is still rather high -- avg of 15 (although 11.8 last night). High to me, anyway. I called my DME provider and told her --- she checked my numbers and said she'd call the sleep doc to get a pressure change okayed for me; then would change the pressure for me. I'm still waiting a couple of days later. She didn't sound real pleased when I told her I had downloaded software to read my numbers and that I was concerned about the AHI number.
I'm wondering if she actually called the doctor?
And I am wondering if I need to do the pressure change myself? Does anyone have a link which gives me instruction on this?

(07-25-2014, 11:59 AM)krelvin Wrote:
(07-25-2014, 11:53 AM)Clementine Wrote: I'm wondering if she actually called the doctor?
I would call the dr myself. In my case, my primary is very up on the use of CPap/BiPap and would most likely make a suggestion on a change herself.

She not only knows I have the software but thinks it is great that I can manage control of it if necessary and discuss it with her.

DME has been out of the picture about 2 weeks after I got the machine 6 years ago.

I agree with krelvin. Call the doc. I'm all about managing your own therapy and make your own educated adjustments. However in your case you're hooked up to one of their modems, so I don't know if you changed something if it would stay changed. Until you dump the modem and the DME, it's best to just have one person setting the machine, and YOU verifying what they did. So call the Doc.. That's where to start.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to both of you. I wasn't sure of protocol --- since the DME people have that modem on my machine, I thought I should contact them first. Off to call the doc.

the modem comes off soon--- it was required for 30 days. Good riddance, it sounds like.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2014, 11:53 AM)Clementine Wrote: And I am wondering if I need to do the pressure change myself? Does anyone have a link which gives me instruction on this?

You can get the clinician's manual for your machine here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Scroll down to Section III.

The issue, though, is what changes to make? At this point it's best to let the doctor do the adjusting because more information is needed than just the AHI. What are the values of the three indices that add up to your AHI?

What are the current pressure settings on your machine? There are three:

Max IPAP
Min EPAP
PS (Pressure Support).

Your machine is not as simple as a CPAP where there's just one number to set, the pressure.

If you raise the pressure it could make your AHI go up, or if you lower it that could also make the AHI go up. To figure it out we need to know the values of those three indices.

The doctor should get all this data from the DME before making any decisions on pressure changes.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
okay --- dr approved changing the pressure yesterday, from 10/4 to 11/5. I was all set last night to see some improvement in my AHI. Sad It was 11.08. I even ended up sleeping in the recliner last night (due to hubby snoring like a lumberjack). I thought I would see a much better AHI. I'm so disappointed!

Sleepster, thanks for all of that info. I won't try changing the pressure myself yet.
Here are my numbers:
AHI: 11.08
Max IPAP: 11.0
Min EPAP: 4.02
PS (Pressure Support): I cannot find any PS on my Sleepyhead report . . . . ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Do not fret Clem, all is well.

We need more info than what you provided, primarily your 95% and your Mean numbers. Were you bumping the top all night still?

Also, what is the makeup of the 11.08? It is not unusual to see an increase in the CA number for instance when you make a pressure change. That's why we always say watch it for a few days to see what is really going on.

and finally, even if you stay poking at the max all night raising it to 11 was just the first step. You'll get to where you belong.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pressure Statistics Last session/Month:
Average EPAP 4.99 0.44
Min EPAP 4.02 0.00
Max EPAP 5.00 5.00
Average IPAP 10.96 10.03
90% IPAP 11.00 11.00
Min IPAP 9.18 9.02
Max IPAP 11.00 11.00

I don't see anything about 95%; I see 90% up there . . .

Any of these numbers help?

and what is "bumping the top"?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2014, 11:30 AM)Clementine Wrote: Pressure Statistics Last session/Month:
Average EPAP 4.99 0.44
Min EPAP 4.02 0.00
Max EPAP 5.00 5.00
Average IPAP 10.96 10.03
90% IPAP 11.00 11.00
Min IPAP 9.18 9.02
Max IPAP 11.00 11.00

I don't see anything about 95%; I see 90% up there . . .

Any of these numbers help?

and what is "bumping the top"?

....spending all or nearly all of the night at the max pressure. Kind of like what you're doing.

Do you know the breakdown of your AHI? (OA, CA, Hypop?)

Once again, last night was "day 1," so don't get too concerned about the numbers just yet.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2014, 10:30 AM)Clementine Wrote: I even ended up sleeping in the recliner last night (due to hubby snoring like a lumberjack). .................... I'm so disappointed!

By the way Clem, your machine will not likely do much to solve the above problem.

Just sayin'.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 160 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 271 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 266 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  ReMed Airsense software/firmware Ralph436 22 1,126 01-23-2024, 11:55 AM
Last Post: george1945
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  Contec CMS50E Pulse Oximeter Software John7 0 382 11-12-2023, 09:18 AM
Last Post: John7

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.