Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Abbreviations, software, etc... Questions
RE: Abbreviations, software, etc... Questions
Do you know the breakdown of your AHI? (OA, CA, Hypop?
Okay, yeah . . . (I'm still learning how to read the Sleepyhead reports --- lots of info there and I don't understand much of it)

Date Sleep Wake Hours
7/25/2014 23:15 09:37 08:56:09
Hypopnea 0.00
Obstructive Apnea 8.06
Unclassified Apnea 0.11
Clear Airway Apnea 2.91

Statistics
Channel Min Med 95% Max
EPAPExpiratory Pressure (cmH2O)
W-Avg: 4.99 4.02 5.00 5.00 5.00
IPAPInspiratory Pressure (cmH2O)
W-Avg: 10.96 9.18 11.00 11.00 11.00
Minute Vent.Amount of air displaced per minute (L/min)
W-Avg: 5.65 0.00 5.50 8.12 19.50
Resp. RateRate of breaths per minute (Breaths/min)
W-Avg: 11.18 0.00 11.60 14.00 37.00
Resp. EventA ResMed data source showing Respiratory Events (Events/hr) 0.00 0.00 0.00 7.00
Flow Limit.Graph showing severity of flow limitations (Severety (0-1))
W-Avg: 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.33
Leak RateRate of detected mask leakage (L/min)
W-Avg: 1.62 0.00 0.00 8.40 86.40
SnoreGraph displaying snore volume (??)
W-Avg: 0.03 0.00 0.02 0.06 0.30
I:E RatioRatio between Inspiratory and Expiratory time (ratio)
W-Avg: 36.31 4.00 37.00 50.00 100.00
Insp. TimeTime taken to breathe in (Seconds)
W-Avg: 1.42 0.00 1.40 1.74 2.00
Exp. TimeTime taken to breathe out (Seconds)
W-Avg: 4.17 0.00 3.70 7.18 10.00
Tidal VolumeAmount of air displaced per breath (L/min)
W-Avg: 521.33 0.00 460.00 860.00 4000.00

Time over leak redline 0.081%

....spending all or nearly all of the night at the max pressure.
I still don't understand this. Does this mean that the pressure changes from 11? It varies during the night?
(I'm trying to understand all of this better --- I really want to be able to understand the machine, my numbers, how this all works)
Post Reply Post Reply
Clear Airway Apnea 2.91

That's the one I was looking for Clem! This number will very likely calm down for you after a couple of days. Hopefully so too will the OA's. But if they don't, I do think you are at least on the right track. So keep watching what happens and keep letting us know what's going on. In a few days you may need to go back for another pressure increase. But not yet.

Good job working the plan!
Post Reply Post Reply
So, that's the "brain" thing. My brain is being retrained to breathe while on this machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2014, 10:30 AM)Clementine Wrote: okay --- dr approved changing the pressure yesterday, from 10/4 to 11/5.

Okay, this is not as complicated as it probably seems. I'll explain what I mean.

With a pressure of 11/5 I'm guessing this means the following:

Max IPAP 11 (this is maximum value of the inspiratory pressure)
Min EPAP 5 (this is the minimum value of the expiratory pressure)

The other number we need is the PS (pressure support) which is the difference between the IPAP and the EPAP. The PS stays constant but the IPAP and EPAP change.

Quote:I was all set last night to see some improvement in my AHI. Sad It was 11.08.

You have to look at much more than just one night's worth of data.

Quote:Here are my numbers:
[...]
Max IPAP: 11.0
Min EPAP: 4.02
PS (Pressure Support): I cannot find any PS on my Sleepyhead report . . . . ?

You have to go into the clinician's menu on your machine and look at these values. I'd like to know what those three numbers are, and you can easily learn how to do it by reading the clinician's guide. (Unfortunately SleepyHead has a bug in it concerning the reporting of these numbers on some of its screens. )

(07-26-2014, 11:30 AM)Clementine Wrote: Pressure Statistics Last session/Month:
Average EPAP 4.99 0.44
Min EPAP 4.02 0.00
Max EPAP 5.00 5.00
Average IPAP 10.96 10.03
90% IPAP 11.00 11.00
Min IPAP 9.18 9.02
Max IPAP 11.00 11.00

I don't see anything about 95%; I see 90% up there . . .

Any of these numbers help?

and what is "bumping the top"?

These numbers indicate, and you can look at the daily pressure graphs on SleepyHead (reliable) to verify, that your machine is raising the pressure to its maximum value and keeping it there. This is an indication that you need to raise the maximum pressure (bump the top).

The data shows that you are spending at least 90% of the time at a IPAP pressure of 11, which is the maximum.

(07-26-2014, 11:45 AM)Clementine Wrote: Hypopnea 0.00
Obstructive Apnea 8.06
Unclassified Apnea 0.11
Clear Airway Apnea 2.91

The largest by far of these three is the OA, which is another indication that you could benefit from an increase in pressure.

Quote:(I'm trying to understand all of this better --- I really want to be able to understand the machine, my numbers, how this all works)

I can see that, and you're getting much closer to seeing how it all works.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2014, 04:50 PM)Clementine Wrote: I started with my machine on Monday so I'm a newbie.

I am so grateful for this board, already. I feel like this machine might actually help me, if I can get the mask tightness resolved.

I have been reading this board the last few days as I recover from a head cold --- great timing to have a head cold, just when I'm trying to start with this lovely mask. I cannot sleep with the mask with this cold.

Anyway---
As I read through so many of these threads, I am really confused by the abbreviations. Is there a thread that explains abbreviations? I see mention often of software. I'm a Computer Idiot, so someone will have to explain all of this to me in kindergarten terms . . . what is the software, and what do I use it for?

help? Huh
Hi Clem, I note that you are an Advisory Member - whom do you advise? I could use some advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2014, 02:29 AM)Coroboree Wrote: I note that you are an Advisory Member

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...bers_group
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2014, 04:55 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Hi Clem, welcome to the forum. Here are a couple resources for you to look at:

Identify your machine (so you can update your profile with the correct information).
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...8#pid75378

Does your mask cover both your mouth and nose (full face mask), or
does it cover only your nose (nasal mask), or
does it fit inside your nostrils (nasal pillows mask).

Here's an article that will help with all the abbreviations:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms
Sleepster: I have Event Flags on my SH Daily Event Flags called CA (Clear Airway), CA Clear Airway do not appear in the list of SH Acronyms. So what does it mean? Why is it bad? It would seem to be better than BA Blocked Airway!

I also notice that on 12/3/14 SH (seems to report that) I was asleep 00:25:22 (only 25 minutes?) Wake 15:57:46 (that long in bed with CPAP?). The selected date on the Calendar is 2 December 2014, by the way. The date 12/3/14 is just above the colored stripes where a purple stripe is entitled: Clear Airway 0.39

What Does IT ALL MEAN?

Anything? Is this a HOAX?
Post Reply Post Reply
Coroboree, the CA is is the same as a Central event. Basically this means that the brain doesn't signal the body to breathe. Depending on the xPAP manufacturer, the unit will test the user using some sort of slight air pressure change to see if there is resistance. If there is, then it is recorded as a OA (obstructive) and, if no resistance, it will be recorded as a CA.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2014, 03:20 PM)Coroboree Wrote: Sleepster: I have Event Flags on my SH Daily Event Flags called CA (Clear Airway), CA Clear Airway do not appear in the list of SH Acronyms. So what does it mean? Why is it bad? It would seem to be better than BA Blocked Airway!

I also notice that on 12/3/14 SH (seems to report that) I was asleep 00:25:22 (only 25 minutes?) Wake 15:57:46 (that long in bed with CPAP?). The selected date on the Calendar is 2 December 2014, by the way. The date 12/3/14 is just above the colored stripes where a purple stripe is entitled: Clear Airway 0.39

What Does IT ALL MEAN?

Anything? Is this a HOAX?

First there is a subtle difference which is really of no concern to us here between a Clear Airway Apnea and a Central Apnea. To be classified as a central apnea there must be very little to no air movement and no effort on the part of the body to take the breath for at least 10 seconds. In the lab this effort or lack of is measured by a sensor around the chest. Since the PAP can not measure the effort to breathe but can determine how open the airway is, it would be technically incorrect to call it a central apnea. So it is called a clear airway apnea. As far as we are concerned it is tantamount to the same thing.

There is another thing that you should know about this data. The data the machine collects is not all just for CPAP. Some of it is not very meaningful for CPAP but may be for servo ventilators (SV or ASV). Some is not meaningful for straight CPAP but is for auto CPAP. Some of it is not meaningful for CPAP but it is for BiLevel CPAP

After seeing many of your aggressive questions, I must ask you a question. What do you hope to get from the data in Sleepyhead? Are you hoping to improve your therapy? Are you looking to ensure that your therapy does not deteriorate? What is it that you want to accomplish with this data?

If any of the above are one of your goals, then you are asking the wrong questions. You need to quit picking the fly crap out of the pepper and think this through as a process and determine what is truly important.

Lastly, if this is a hoax, it is only because you have made it so.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Coroboree, please identify your machine so you can update your profile with the correct information.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...AP-Machine

(12-04-2014, 03:20 PM)Coroboree Wrote: I have Event Flags on my SH Daily Event Flags called CA (Clear Airway), CA Clear Airway do not appear in the list of SH Acronyms. So what does it mean?

When the flow sensor detects that you've stopped breathing the machine sends pressure pulses in an attempt to determine if your airway is clear or obstructed. If there is no flow for at least 10 seconds and the airway is obstructed the machine scores a OA. If clear, CA.

Quote:Why is it bad? It would seem to be better than BA Blocked Airway!

Either way you've stopped breathing, so in that sense they're equivalent. The difference is in the treatment options. OA's can be treated by raising the pressure. CA's are harder to treat.

Quote:I also notice that on 12/3/14 SH (seems to report that) I was asleep 00:25:22 (only 25 minutes?)

Could be a glitch in SH. Use EncoreBasic to double check anything reported by SH that's of significance.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 160 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 272 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 266 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  ReMed Airsense software/firmware Ralph436 22 1,126 01-23-2024, 11:55 AM
Last Post: george1945
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 466 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  Contec CMS50E Pulse Oximeter Software John7 0 382 11-12-2023, 09:18 AM
Last Post: John7

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.