Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Abletree's Therapy Thread
RE: Abletree's Therapy Thread
Link in my signature
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah !!! Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I read the mask primer.    Did you happen to look at my OSCAR from last night?   I see a few Large Leak events - a 9 second one occurred just after an OSA event. That one wasn't flagged, but I can see the Leak Rate grey area on the graph

There are 3 flags. One 10 seconds and 2 for 2 seconds

I am using a nasal pillow mask

Does this suggest mouth breathing? Or leaky nasal pillows?

What do these 5 LL occurrences indicate?

PS - I am including the OSCAR daily attached

Thank you again for your thoughts. I'm sooooo new at this!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
some of both types. The large flat topped area are mouth leaks while the spike leaks are mask leaks on the leak rate chart.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah - the only flat top grey came immediately after an OSA event. 

I'm trying to determine whether or not I am a "mouth breather" - I don't think I am, but rather gasped with an open mouth as a result of an obstructed airway event.

The other spikes were just short flags.

I'm hoping I can stay with the nasal pillows - I really like them and the headgear I am using.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mouth breathing is sometimes a misnomer in that air is leaking out an open mouth. The spilled are because the mask is farting, flapping the seal around.

Look at a 3 minute view of the flow rate. If the below zero is not equal to the top it means expiratory mouth breathing. Otherwise it is specifically air venting or leaking from the mouth. The fix is the same either way. Keep your tongue o. The roof of your mouth
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you - I am sorry I don't understand a few things - 

As I am using nasal pillows, I imagine "mouth breathing" in my case would be air escaping out my open mouth - not a flapping seal around a mask

I have attached the only episode of grey for you to see. The snippet includes Flow Rate at the top, then Pressure, then Leak Rate. This is a 9 second view

I have also attached the 3 minute view I think you are referring to.  I see  a flat line, then an OA event, then disturbed rise & fall until it ends at a CA

I'm wondering if all this activity is the result of a leak, mouth breathing etc - or result of an OA/CA apnea disturbance

*Please pardon my ignorance

Post Reply Post Reply
Everything between that OA and CA is wake breathing so SWJ. Prior to the OA an arousal which is significant. I need 3 minute views to evaluate expiratory breathing

Also a zero line on the flow rate to assist in the evaluation.
Post Reply Post Reply
At 11:47:35 you took a large inhale, and held that breath , and your exhale was mostly after leaking had begun, followed by adjustment actions and a few additional (3 or 4) awake type breaths, and off to sleep centered breathing with an incidental CA. Most often, this occurs when you change position. Generally you take an inhale just before exertion. Unlikely you were disturbed by the large leak, as you were already attempting a movement.

QAL
Post Reply Post Reply
Felt like less tossing & turning last night - Headgear stayed on more. I adjusted my ramp down from 15 min to 5. No problems with that as far as I can tell. One bathroom trip

Longest time in bed so far. I get 4.5-6 hours in bed during the workweek. Seem to be "catching up" on the weekends. Feeling a little bit rested for the first time 1st time

What does this OSCAR show you (attached) Gideon was looking at my Large Leak issues yesterday. Anything remarkable? I still don't understand how to interpret the OSCAR charts or data

Thank you

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Second attemp at therapy Jonkier 8 194 5 hours ago
Last Post: Jonkier
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 6 229 6 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  lisaistired - Therapy Thread and Questions lisaistired 21 978 11 hours ago
Last Post: dormivi
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 76 1,645 Yesterday, 10:47 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 81 1,657 Yesterday, 09:39 AM
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 41 1,293 04-23-2024, 10:30 PM
  [Treatment] The Fox's Therapy Thread (plus help with Dad) The Fox 3 97 04-23-2024, 10:09 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.