Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Abletree's Therapy Thread
RE: Abletree's Therapy Thread
Thank you QAL. You mentioned some of the details I am concerned about. Hopefully, some improvement is made by addressing the 1st level SA issues, but I am suspecting that I may ultimately require another sleep lab after I am able to do as much as I can to optimize at home with my apap.

This is one reason I hope to gather as much useful data as possible - to make my best case for my next, most appropriate, test, if that is indicated

I appreciate your input
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is my very 1st night of OSCAR data!. I am not sure if this is the best place to post it in this thread so others can see it and comment. As a newbie I might repost elsewhere. I would appreciate input, interpretation & suggestions. Thank you - see OSCAR attached

Hi OpalRose - I just posted my OSCAR data in a reply to my original post in this thread. Is there a better place or way to post OSCAR for others here to see? Thanks Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Gideon - I am not sure where best to post the screenshot. I just posted my 1st OSCAR data.  I also had my 1st "bad" night since getting my apap. I think one of my nostrils was plugged up some and it interfered with my ability to breathe through the nasal pillows. I probably mouth-breathed, as my mouth was dry when I got up - and there is that large gap where I recall removing my headgear for awhile

Here's my screenshot - I already posted in a reply to my original post in this thread - still finding my way around as a newbie :Smile  Thank you

Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO your Ramp is too long. You lost over an hour of therapy last night because of it. Try turning the ramp off, Most, not all, of the "pros" here do not use a ramp. If you need it shorten it as much as possible.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with Gideon... turn off the ramp feature. If you absolutely feel you can't do without, then change it to start at 6.5 for 10 minutes.

For congestion problems, be sure you are using a nasal rinse (use the one with a squeeze bottle). You can also try Nasal Sprays that help alleviate stuffiness.
Also talk to your doctor if it's a continuing issue. He may be able to prescribe something temporary to help.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. My DME Rep set it to auto so I could gradually adjust to the pressures, but I was thinking it was wasted quality time so I turned in down to 30 minutes last night. My plan is to take it to zero asap

Interesting though - last night was my worst night struggling. It coincided with this adjustment, but I think that it a coincidence. I think my stuffed up nostril was the biggest factor 

I'll keep reducing the ramp for sure unless someone goes wonky

Thank you. Fortunately, I don't have chronic stuffiness, as far as I know. I'll check out the flushing options for these kinds of moments ?
Post Reply Post Reply
I like to use a ramp, and have been using one for years, but agree the ramp should be short. I generally fall asleep within the first 7 minutes, so I set that ramp to 7 minutes so I don't get "treatment related bumps and bruises" while I am awake (since it is obviously reacting to non-sleep things).

There is a difference between a dry throat and a dry mouth, and sometimes you can get the wrong impression you were un-breathing (discharging perfectly good air through an open mouth.) The large leaks is probably a good indication of that (mouth un-breathing), and you can see it woke you up quite quickly, and the durations were not long.

If you knowingly slip the mask off, and are alert enough, try not to sleep. sit up until you think you can mask-up again. (A good opportunity to nose spray or sip some water.)

QAL
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks QAL - I changed my ramp from Auto 2 nights ago, to 30 min last night & 15 min tonight. I also changed my nasal pillows to and AirFit N30i nasal cradle to see if that will help at time I may have a plugged up nostril. I'll flush too! - Looking forward to seeing what tomorrow's OSCAR shows!. Thanks for your response Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, Auto Ramp is not a bad choice. If you set your Ramp Start Pressure to a cm or so below your minimum pressure, the machine won't start ramping up until it detects even (sleeping) breathing. Then you can look at the pressure graph and see how long you take to fall asleep.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is my OSCAR Day 2 from last night (attached). I will provide more details shortly. Comments are invited Smile

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 840 3 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,084 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 177 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 256 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,269 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,364 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 969 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.