Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Abnormal Abnormal Breathing
Abnormal Abnormal Breathing
While reviewing last nights data I noticed this abnormal breathing pattern which does not look like anything I have seen described.
I will greatly appreciate your assistance as my Sleep Medicine physicians are unable to assist, candidly they appear to be ignorant and unable to use the machine data to establish a protocol which will improve my treatment.  That is another topic.

Here is the overview of this period of abnormal breathing, followed by a closer look at the beginning, mid-point, and termination period flow rate.

Thank You,
Jim Greene
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Abnormal Abnormal Breathing
Snoring, perhaps?

Also, from your profile, CPAP pressure shows fixed 5cm. Is this correct?
Post Reply Post Reply
First, Thanks for your comment.  There was no snoring sensed by the machine.  There is, however, an obvious rapid inhalation-exhalation action ocurring below the main respiration cycle.

Next the pressure is fixed at 8 cmH2O.  The machine is set to CPAP-check mode, which is described as follows:

"CPAP-Check mode (C-Check) delivers CPAP therapy while automatically
adjusting the [fixed] pressure level to meet patient needs over the long term. Every 30
hours of therapy use, the therapy device evaluates patient obstructive respiratory
disturbance index (ORDI) and increments pressure ± 1 cm H2O if needed. The range
of adjustment that can be made over time is limited to ± 3 cm H2O of the CPAPCheck
pressure setting, in 1 cm H2O increments"

I chose this setting after an unsatisfactory recommendation by the sleep medicine person.  The recommendation (fixed 10 cm pressure) was based solely on being able to see that one nights 90% pressure was 10 cm.  They were unable to read the data recorded by the machine during about 30 days of treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could have been dreaming too
Post Reply Post Reply
It’s a form of periodic breathing sufficient to trigger hypopnea and arises out of flow limitations. It’s not a big medical concern, but the solution might be to use auto mode to enable higher pressure when it occurs. If you were on a Resmed machine, I would enable EPR, but with Philips, highervoressure is all you have because Flex won’t help.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,129 6 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 150 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 513 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Abnormal report - me or machine Anthony2L 1 171 02-29-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 680 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 385 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.