Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Abrupt change in AHI
Abrupt change in AHI

I have been using a s9 Autoset since January of this year. Up until a month ago my AHI was what I considered great; normally less than 5 with only a few excursions above that figure.
Now for the last two weeks I've been peaking at 50+ occasionally. Does anybody have any idea of what is going on? Is the machine malfunctioning? The high AHI and snore numbers seem to peak together when the pressure is at the upper limit of 15. I've reset it to 20 for tonight.

Comments? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Cheers, Vegaspier
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Abrupt change in AHI
Hi VegasPier
First of all the machine have no clue if you,re asleep or awake, awake events are meaningless

Couple of questions:
Are you using the machine on auto or fixed pressure? if auto .. what range and pressure stats
What central apnea component of AHI and leaks stats?

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2013, 10:44 PM)zonk Wrote: Hi VegasPier
First of all the machine have no clue if you,re asleep or awake, awake events are meaningless

Couple of questions:
Are you using the machine on auto or fixed pressure? if auto .. what range and pressure stats
What central apnea component of AHI and leaks stats?

Hello Zonk,

Thanks for the reply. I've bee using the auto pressure settings of min 9 and max of 15. I reset to max of 20 for tonight.

I'm afraid that I don't understand the second question. I'm sorry. Could you help me out?

Cheers, VegasPier

Post Reply Post Reply
Silly question? Any leaks showing up? Mouth-breathing can do exactly that. Also, my mask went a bit wonky and is leaking at the swivel, and my AHI went from under 10 to 30+ these last two nights. I know you're wearing a FFM, but since it fits under your lower lip, if your mouth is opening enough, it could possibly create leaks while you sleep?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a couple of things to look at.

What kind of events are you having? Are they all obstructive events? Are they relatively the same amount of central, obstructive, and hypopnea events? (this is what zonk was referring to, I think)

Other things to look at:
have you started any new medication? stopped a medication or changed the dose of a medication?
have you made any changes to the bedroom or sleeping pattern?
have you made any changes to the mask or hose?

How do you feel during the day? Do you feel the same as before or are you as tired as your AHI says you should be?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2013, 11:24 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Silly question? Any leaks showing up? Mouth-breathing can do exactly that. Also, my mask went a bit wonky and is leaking at the swivel, and my AHI went from under 10 to 30+ these last two nights. I know you're wearing a FFM, but since it fits under your lower lip, if your mouth is opening enough, it could possibly create leaks while you sleep?

Hello Peter_C,

You may have hit on something; mouth breathing. I've had a dry mouth on a few occasions plus I've been awakened with mouth breathing. But why all of a sudden? I've not changed anything that Paula mentioned. I have a new cushion. The one that I've been using is about two weeks old, maybe older. I'll put the new on in and see what happens tonight.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers, VegasPier
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi VegasPier
AHI include all types of apnea events (obstructive apnea, hypopnea, central apnea and unknown apnea)
Its important to know the breakdown of events, now if we,re talking about the majority of events are central apnea events than you need followup with your sleep physician

Leak rate is important too, looking for leak to be below 24 L/m over the course of the night. High leak render the data useless

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2013, 11:27 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: There's a couple of things to look at.

What kind of events are you having? Are they all obstructive events? Are they relatively the same amount of central, obstructive, and hypopnea events? (this is what zonk was referring to, I think)

Other things to look at:
have you started any new medication? stopped a medication or changed the dose of a medication?
have you made any changes to the bedroom or sleeping pattern?
have you made any changes to the mask or hose?

How do you feel during the day? Do you feel the same as before or are you as tired as your AHI says you should be?

Hello PaulaO2,

Peter_C has given me some items to think about. Answering your questions: No to all of them. As far as feeling tired, not any more than before.

Cheers, VegasPier

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2013, 02:16 AM)zonk Wrote: Hi VegasPier
AHI include all types of apnea events (obstructive apnea, hypopnea, central apnea and unknown apnea)
Its important to know the breakdown of events, now if we,re talking about the majority of events are central apnea events than you need followup with your sleep physician

Leak rate is important too, looking for leak to be below 24 L/m over the course of the night. High leak render the data useless

Hello Zonk,

I think that you have zeroed in on the problem; leaks. One leak rate was almost 155. It was associated with a AHI event. In fact, all of the OA or H events were associated with leaks.

Cheers, VegasPier.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night was my first night with my new mask (new replacement of the same mask). My leak rate dropped to 0.3L/s and while I didn't wake 'refreshed', neither did I struggle to get up like I have for the last number of weeks. Plus my AHI and AI dropped back to my norms of less than 10, and 2.

Depending on your face and mask, you can get large leaks with an open mouth. For me, mouth breathing is somewhat random, but also based on how exhausted I am, or if I am ill. Generally I can do well with a nasal mask, and only switch to my FFM when I am ill. Just something to consider.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,416 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,701 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 316 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Pressure max/min clarification and change I made richapple 5 365 01-28-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: richapple
  EPR Change to Help With Flow Limits? upsman 4 361 01-22-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: upsman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.