Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Acceptable AHI ranges
Acceptable AHI ranges
I was wondering what the typical target ranges for AHI and events are. I know the ultimate target it 0 for all of it, but was wondering what the acceptable range everyone has been given by their doctors are. As I start to get some data in on my own treatment, I'm not sure what types of numbers really show me having a bad night, and which ones are good or acceptable nights. My technician told me that a low number of events may an acceptable tradeoff to get me to a more reasonable pressure than my orignal titrations had set for me (that way, I'm more likely to do what I know I need to and use it every night).

thanks for your input, and for all the help and support of every member. I haven't been around a lot in the past few years, but this board and the members really helped me through the initial shock and concerns I had when I was diagnosed with OSA.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Acceptable AHI ranges
An AHI of 5 or less is considered "treated" by the medical profession. Many will do better, but as long as you are generally at 5 or below your doctor will be happy.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
cool. thanks ^_^
Post Reply Post Reply
Personally id suggest looking at sleepyhead etc sofware.
See how many apneas and hypopneas you actually have to have over 6 to 8 hrs to arrive at that arbitrary number the docs picked.

5 isnt as wonderful as it sounds.
Also check the duration of those events.
Many hit 5 and call it good enough.
Then wonder why they still feel like crap.
Post Reply Post Reply
After 6 months on APAP and being a numbers person I have has the same question - What is an acceptable number - The prescribing doctor said 5 or under on the machine is the target - but is it really 5 - the number quoted is the average number of events per hour over your sleep period. If I look at my numbers for the last 30 days by the HOUR I have achieved a Minimum AHI of 3, a Maximum of 34. To me this means that I do not yet have the Apnea under control with more ivestigation required to determine why there are so many events between 2 and 4:30am.
Post Reply Post Reply
As Ghost has said, there is more to it than a straight forward number.

There are many reasons, and very individual ones as to why you have so many events between 2 and 4.30. I used to wake in those hours, because, the strap used to pinch my ear lobes I have found out! A different mask sorted that and my AHI has subsequently gone down.

Sorry, I can not suggest anything else or offer explanation to what causes events.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been under PAP therapy for two months now and currently my AHI's have been in the 5- 10 range. I have also been wondering the significance of just looking at the average for the night. For example last night the Dreammapper app shows 53 occurrences over a 7.5 hour period for an AHI of 7.1. Fortunately because the forum has made available Encore Pro 2 I can now see the wave forms. It shows that over one half hour period there were 29 occurrences. So is this bad that I had a very high AHI over this short period or good that the other 7 hours the AHI is only 3.4?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2015, 08:15 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: Personally id suggest looking at sleepyhead etc sofware.
See how many apneas and hypopneas you actually have to have over 6 to 8 hrs to arrive at that arbitrary number the docs picked.

5 isnt as wonderful as it sounds.
Also check the duration of those events.
Many hit 5 and call it good enough.
Then wonder why they still feel like crap.

Not to quibble but:

I don't have Sleepyhead available for my machine (dreamstation). My AHI averages at 10, yet I feel better, have less depression, less skipped heartbeats since I started CPAP. I don't think this is placebo.

I have no idea why this is. Sleepyhead would help, but it's not an option for me, unfortunately.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2015, 12:23 PM)Weird Tolkienish Figure Wrote: My AHI averages at 10, yet I feel better, have less depression, less skipped heartbeats since I started CPAP. I don't think this is placebo.

Well, if you were diagnosed with a high level of A.H.I. lowering it, even if you don't get it down to the ideal range, is probably still a good thing. If you were diagnosed as "severe" the machine is bringing you down to "moderate" apnea so you are chocking yourself in your sleep less than you were.

But ideally you want to get that A.H.I. down further and if you can do so it should probably give you even better results.

And also A.H.I. isn't everything. A higher A.H.I. with short events can actually better for you than a lower A.H.I. with longer events. So if you are choking yourself for ten seconds 20 times a night, that is probably better than choking yourself for 30 seconds ten times a night. Total time in apnea is an important figure and if your machine isn't reporting that you are missing an important bit of information,

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
My PA's goal is to keep me at 1 or less most nights. My apnea was 5 when diagnosed (RERAs much higher), but I have a slow heart rate so the goals aren't quite the same. For someone who has severe apnea, the immediate goal may be to simply cut that rate, whatever it is, in half and then work to improve as you become accustomed to the therapy. I am still tired and exhausted, but most days, I'm not needing a nap. Before treatment, I NEEDED two naps daily. I have multiple problems, including restless legs, that keep me awake.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,609 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
Question Tidal Volume Acceptable Range trance 12 3,429 03-02-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  What is an "acceptable" Large Leak percent? BlueSky1958 21 1,599 12-04-2023, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Acceptable Large Leak Percentage? kenhh 15 5,008 10-10-2023, 12:04 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  Acceptable Leak Rate Columbiabill 7 921 10-07-2023, 08:18 PM
Last Post: barney999
  What is an acceptable leak rate? Mysti 10 5,922 09-01-2023, 05:25 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
  Understanding APAP Pressure Ranges upsman 4 1,077 11-04-2021, 12:33 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.