Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Acceptable Large Leak Percentage?
RE: Acceptable Large Leak Percentage?
SarcasticDave94: I disagree and stand by my opinion that was supported by the OSCAR Wiki.  For example, my large leak is usually under 1%. Chasing the reason for the 1% is a waste of time.  There a many innocuous reasons including itching your nose, turning over and mask shifting, occasional mouth breathing, taking the mask off to go to the bathroom, etc.  There are thresholds for a reason. Perfection is not necessary.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2022, 09:42 AM)Marc Wrote:  I disagree and stand by my opinion that was supported by the OSCAR Wiki. 

That's makes no sense.

Your opinion is based on somebody else's opinion?

Well at least that makes it easy.

You're both wrong.
Post Reply Post Reply
Although that said, the wiki has a lot of "may" and "probably" but lack the most important considerations.
Post Reply Post Reply
Marc,

You are certainly allowed your opinion. However, let me remind you of one item. This is referring to LARGE leaks and not just any ole leak. Large leaks are ones that have gone over the threshold leak redline of 24 L/Min on ResMed units. And especially important on the advanced machines, solving large leaks is essential to good therapy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you to the forum members who offered positive advice and suggestions.
I took them to my CPAP retailer, and she was able to make adjustments, which, with a new mask, have pretty much solved the leakage problem.

I would also like to respond to the comments made by the accurately named SarcasticDave, 
Why do you think that I arbitrarily assumed that opinions offered were “not acceptable?”
Do you really think that I would post a question on the forum without first trying to find a way to reduce the leaks?
What prompted your conclusion that I had already decided what answers I would accept?

In short (too late?), these types of responses will not encourage people to seek help from members of the forum. 
Who would want to ask for advice if the responses are so negative and insulting?

People asking questions are seeking advice, not abuse.

Again, thank you to those who took the time to offer positive suggestions based on their knowledge and experiences.
Your advice and opinions are certainly appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
Personal experience with Large Leaks:

My full face mask intermittently has large leaks. Even though I get can get a green smiley face report, if there have been large leaks over 1% then sleep did not go well. Even though green smiley may appear, anything over 1% indicates restless sleep due to movement which in turn produces arousals and wakenings. i am going by that when <1% shows on OSCAR's LL segment, I generally feel I've had decent sleep. I use the number of large leak events to tell how poorly my sleep went. The percentage is some sort of correlation and I'm not sure if OSCAR indicates how much time was spent with a large leak occurring.

I have a good seal on the mask but that is only if I lie still. If I have 5 large leak events I usually rested well. If I have 25 large leaks, this indicates I was a tossing, turning, and rolling on and off onto my back. Not only did my CPAP therapy not go well, the sleep I got was not worth much as rest even while large leaks were not occurring.

One night I do okay, the next I may wake with recollection of waking several times during the night, grabbing my mask, maybe take it off and put it back on, and definitely pulling on it to inflate it in hopes of getting the seal back that was lost by my movements. It is aggravating and frustrating.

I get LLs so often it makes me want to give up on CPAP therapy, but I have stuck with it for 15 years always hoping for a good night's rest, yet seldom getting one.

So, I am estimating that an acceptable large leak rate is not a set number for all. I know red frown face tells me I have had a really bad night of movement, knocking the mask loose from its seal a great deal, but green smiley does not tell me all went well, the OSCAR LL event number does.
I only give suggestions from experience as a fellow CPAP user, not professional advice.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 325 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Leak Spikes and A Break in Flow blu15 9 1,254 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: avhenry
  [Equipment] Headgear for very large heads NogginOff 5 268 04-01-2024, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Cpapian
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 10 396 03-29-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 192 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,470 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,875 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.