Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Acceptable leakage amount
Acceptable leakage amount
Hi fellow apneacs,
I've been sleeping on my back since I started cpap about a year and a half ago. Sleeping on my side didn't seem to work so well. But I got tired of sleeping on my back all the time and decided to give sleeping on my side another go. I got a special apnea pillow which is somewhat helpful and am using the Airfit P10 mask which is supposed to be a good side-sleeping mask (according to Google). 

The problem I'm having is that my leakage (according to sleepyhead and Resmed) has increased quite a bit. I look at both results daily - Resmed doesn't have graphs but gives you a score. 

I went from approx. 7 leaks/min (on my back) to around 16 (on my side) according to Resmed. Today, acccording to Sleepyhead, 95% of the time my leaks were not over 16.80 with the highest being 22.80.

This bothered me and I thought I should return to my back, but my DME therapist said that it's only a problem if your score is in the twenties because the machine will compensate for it unless the leak is over 24. She said to watch and if it was creeping up I should go back on my back, but if it stays in the teens, then no problem.

I don't always believe everything she says, so thought I would check with you guys. Would you be concerned if your leak rate was that high?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Acceptable leakage amount
Have you tried replacing the pillows? For me, increased leaking is usually a sign they are wearing out.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, Crimson Nate, the pillows and hose are relatively new and the increase in leaks resulted from switching from my back to side. It doesn't seem like I move around on my side, but apparently I do. When I wake up the pillows are in place though. That's why it seems strange. Mainly, I'm just wondering if the leak numbers are acceptable to continue on my side.
Post Reply Post Reply
While the number of leaks are important, how much over the 24l/min are you per leak? I see you don't have #SleepyHead listed in your profile. Does the software that you are using provide this data?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your leak rate is below 24ml/min your fine.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Crimson Nate, I do use SleepyHead - I'll have to update my account to show that. My sleepyhead data says my maximum leak was 22.8 L/min and that I didn't have any major leaks. I guess that's pretty close to the maximum. But 95% of the time it was not over 16.
Post Reply Post Reply
While your leaks are 'acceptable', I have noticed that I get a bit higher AHI when I have more leaks.  That being said, for me it is a trade off as I'm trying to get the bridge of my nose to heal from wearing a FFM.  I will accept a higher leak rate while my nose heals.
Post Reply Post Reply
HoJo, The bridge of my nose is very sensitive too, so am lucky I don't have to wear the FF masks. In the beginning I thought I would, but trained myself to not breathe through my mouth. I'm wondering if part of my leak problem is that when I'm on my side I don't keep my mouth closed as well. I think maybe that's it, because the nasal pillows seem very secure in my nose and I've never waken up with them bumped out of place. 

Thanks for your help and input. I'll continue on my side and just keep checking my stats to make sure I'm under the leak limit.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can sleep on my side with my AirFit N20 nose cover, but as I slip into sleep my head sags a bit and my chin drops toward my chest.  It's a tiny movement, but the air flitting across my eyelashes brings me awake because I know it's best not to have any leaks.  

I have learned to accommodate for this by exaggerating my head position to that orientation and then placing my head on the pillow fully.  If the mask doesn't leak that way, it won't as I fall asleep.  This seems to work.  Figure out how the leaks happen, adjust yourself to force that to take place with you in preparation, and then relax.  Let nature do the rest.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Mesenteria. I am trying to figure it out and I believe it does have to do with positioning. I will experiment tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,984 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 168 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question Tidal Volume Acceptable Range trance 12 3,627 03-02-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Massive leakage with new P30i unlockingsleep 2 315 02-25-2024, 03:14 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  High amount of central apnea caused by OSA? LiaASV 32 2,524 12-04-2023, 10:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  What is an "acceptable" Large Leak percent? BlueSky1958 21 1,722 12-04-2023, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Acceptable Large Leak Percentage? kenhh 15 5,180 10-10-2023, 12:04 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.