Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Acceptable leakage amount
RE: Acceptable leakage amount
I find that the leaks are more likely sleeping on my side (99% of the time I sleep on my side) and seem to be caused by pillow (not the mask pillow Smile )pressure deforming my cheek and hence changing my nose profile.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may also want to consider a CPAP pillow, which is 'cut' out on the sides so that when you go to the side, the mask won't hit the pillow and move.  I have one and have found it helps but since I move around, I will occasionally hit the edge of the pillow, but for me, it is better than a standard pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed regard 24 L/min as a large leak. Above that the machine can't provide sufficient airflow to maintain a stable pressure. In addition it has trouble diagnosing and treating events which occur during a large leak. It seems all your leaks are below 24, so that's OK as far as it goes...

...however even low leaks can disrupt your sleep if they disturb you. Eg air blowing into your eyes, or the mask losing contact with your skin and causing "face farts". Also, as mentioned above, my experience is that AHI does go up on nights when I have extensive leaks (even if they are under the red line). So while your DME person is technically correct, it is wise to keep your leak rate as low as possible.
Post Reply Post Reply
Deep Breather, I like your advice. It seems to me the lower the leaks the better. I have given up sleeping on my side - it doesn't seem to work for me. I like the side, but I seem to be OK on my back too, so I'll just go that route. It's not the first 'accommodation' I had to make because of having sleep apnea. (No one ever said it would be fun.)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,614 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 107 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question Tidal Volume Acceptable Range trance 12 3,433 03-02-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Massive leakage with new P30i unlockingsleep 2 260 02-25-2024, 03:14 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  High amount of central apnea caused by OSA? LiaASV 32 2,439 12-04-2023, 10:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  What is an "acceptable" Large Leak percent? BlueSky1958 21 1,600 12-04-2023, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Acceptable Large Leak Percentage? kenhh 15 5,013 10-10-2023, 12:04 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.