Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Acceptable leaks?
Acceptable leaks?
I've read through the Wiki (kudos to those who did it as it really nicely done and easy to find a lot of good info) and still have a newbie question on "large leaks" and at what point it impacts treatment. I read that manufacturers have their own gold standard percentage, but wondering if those with experience have developed their own numbers.

Reason behind the question is as a newbie (6 weeks into treatment) using a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset and am comfortable with my masks (P10 and F30i). I prefer the P10 as it is most comfortable and I fall asleep quickest, but due to allergies sometimes use the F30i. When using the P10 I have on average 5% large leaks per night (largest leak of 40 and 95% 25) and with the F30i have 0% large leaks. The large leaks on the P10 do not significantly wake me up or seemingly impact my quality of sleep. I know the large leaks are from opening my mouth as on the rare occasion they wake me up I feel the air taking the easy route, but once I shut it I'm back asleep quickly.

I'm not asking for advice on the masks, mainly looking to get some opinions from those well-schooled in OSCAR stats if they have a gold standard for when large leaks are a concern. Want to be sure I'm watching for the right numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Acceptable leaks?
Just look at your daily report. If you are having alot of events at the time o leaks it is an issue, if you arent, it isnt.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2021, 10:57 AM)tierdal Wrote: Just look at your daily report. If you are having alot of events at the time o leaks it is an issue, if you arent, it isnt.

Sage advice. I checked the daily reports for the past month and only once during a large leak did I have an event. Other than that just the leaks. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
My rule of thumb on ResMed and leaks when viewed on OSCAR: 24 is the redline. Above that, therapy is blown. But approaching 24, the closer you get to that line, the lower your therapy accuracy and efficiency. You do not need zero leaks, but they must be controlled and minimal. My self imposed acceptable number is 10 on my ResMed. Above that, I'll consider making adjustments if there's a trend of 2 or more nights. One night at 11 and I'll overlook it though.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2021, 12:51 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: My rule of thumb on ResMed and leaks when viewed on OSCAR: 24 is the redline. Above that, therapy is blown. But approaching 24, the closer you get to that line, the lower your therapy accuracy and efficiency. You do not need zero leaks, but they must be controlled and minimal. My self imposed acceptable number is 10 on my ResMed. Above that, I'll consider making adjustments if there's a trend of 2 or more nights. One night at 11 and I'll overlook it though.

I spend 2%-10% above redline using nasal pillows. Rarely wakes me up and AHI is typically < 1%. When using FFM it’s 0 leaks and the same AHI. 

I don’t like taping after a few tries and chin straps don’t help. I plan on sticking with the FFM for a few weeks and hopefully with learn to fall asleep as quick as with the pillows. 

Thanks for the advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
Funny enough FFM gave me way more leaks. So weird but I guess I should be happy lol
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2021, 01:23 PM)tierdal Wrote: Funny enough FFM gave me way more leaks. So weird but I guess I should be happy lol

I don't have leak problems with the pillows per se, just with opening my mouth. Which admittedly has been a problem most of my life  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
My ahi is invariably much lower with nasal pillows plus a neck brace than with a full face mask--even though my leaks are higher. And I tend to feel fine with nasal pillows. I went off them because of the leaks, but circumstances have me using the p10 again and I wonder why I should return to the f30. Other than leaks! My pressure is also lower with pillows, which I like.

My epr was turned off; after reading here, I jsut turned it on and set it to 3, hoping it will help with mouth leaks. Maybe overdoing it? Start with 2?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2021, 12:51 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: My rule of thumb on ResMed and leaks when viewed on OSCAR: 24 is the redline. Above that, therapy is blown. But approaching 24, the closer you get to that line, the lower your therapy accuracy and efficiency. You do not need zero leaks, but they must be controlled and minimal. My self imposed acceptable number is 10 on my ResMed. Above that, I'll consider making adjustments if there's a trend of 2 or more nights. One night at 11 and I'll overlook it though.

What adjustments do you make?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 285 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,610 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 140 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 161 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 108 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
Question Tidal Volume Acceptable Range trance 12 3,430 03-02-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.