Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Acceptable levels of PB and RERA
Acceptable levels of PB and RERA
Hello, 

What is an acceptable amount of time in periodic breathing ? Also what are the acceptable levels of RERA events ? 
Re RERA my sleepyhead data shows there was a RERA with a number in the bracket (63) - I want to understand what levels of PB and RERA are a cause for concern ? 
For reference this is the event I am talking about : 

[Image: DD6yeWF.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Acceptable levels of PB and RERA
Your RERA and your PB are absolutely fine. You might like to bump your minimum pressure up to 10 or 10. 5 to cope with the hypopneas which seem to be the main issue. I wish I had an RERA score like yours.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sure, thanks mate. This just happens to be of a day where there was minimal PB and just one RERA event. I will usually have one or two events of PB lasting around 2 - 4 minutes. And about 6 RERA events usually.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you add the RERA number, in this case 0.39, to your AHI number, 1.68, it will give you your RDI for that night. In this case,  your RDI was 1.97. RDI=Respiratory disturbance index. I don't know that there is a generally accepted limit for RDI as an indication of effective treatment but I suspect any number under 5 would be considered acceptable and under 3 would be very good.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have primarily RERAs. I found going up the MINIMAL interval will bring RERAs down to zero to 1-2 per night on a Resmed. Not sure if Respironics counts them the same, but I'd do the same method. Just go up very slowly.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2017, 01:31 AM)BHappy Wrote: Hello, 

What is an acceptable amount of time in periodic breathing ? Also what are the acceptable levels of RERA events ? 
Re RERA my sleepyhead data shows there was a RERA with a number in the bracket (63) - I want to understand what levels of PB and RERA are a cause for concern ? 
For reference this is the event I am talking about : 

[Image: DD6yeWF.png]

how do you feel ?

personally i care more about how low myO2 level is and how fast my heart rate went up to
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine marks things as RERA where it seems your sleep was disrupted by respiratory effort.  But I don't think it can tell that you are actually sleeping or awake.

The specific event you showed seems like you barely had recovery breath at 03:02:50, but most if not all of the breaths throughout are exactly how most people breathe in Stage 1 thru 3 sleep.  So, I would say you were not alerted by this, and would expect there was no significant O2 or pulse rate change at that time.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your numbers are real good.  At this stage make only small changes, typicaly .4 or .5 cm or less.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Pressure] Using BiPap Resmed Aircurve 10, still exhausted, good O2 Levels LordofKings 14 379 04-02-2024, 11:33 AM
Last Post: LordofKings
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,932 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 232 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 805 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Tidal Volume Acceptable Range trance 12 3,606 03-02-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Low O2 Levels During Sleep with Low AHI cmpman1974 60 5,279 01-01-2024, 09:24 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  [Treatment] Low AHI but dizziness and fatigue with spikes of low O2 levels John94 8 1,163 01-01-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: PamVT41

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.