Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Accidentally fell asleep with mask on, but didn't turn CPAP machine on
Accidentally fell asleep with mask on, but didn't turn CPAP machine on
Hello all, first post.

So I was a little startled today when I woke up and realized I had my mask on, but my CPAP machine was off. I was so tired last night I guess I put my mask on and forgot to turn on the machine.

I have a full face mask, but I guess they are designed for a worst case scenario to sleep with the mask on, but no power to the machine in case your power goes out.

Just wondering if anyone else has ever done this and is it dangerous? I was worried I could've done damage to myself since I was sleeping without getting full air.

I've been using CPAP for about a year. First time I ever did something this stupid.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Accidentally fell asleep with mask on, but didn't turn CPAP machine on
Hi Jneditch, welcome to Apnea Board.

It's very unlikely you could do yourself any damage by sleeping with the machine off. The mask is vented to allow exhaled air to be expelled, and if the machine isn't running, a flap valve in the hose connection allows the vents to operate in reverse. You can test this out easily enough by putting the mask on and breathing normally before you turn the machine on. In the event something did go wrong, I'm pretty sure you'd wake up enough to pull the mask off, anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
Most machines have an auto-on feature you can activate. Try it before you party and crash next time. The anti-asphyxiation valve worked for you...that's a good thing. Bigwink
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys! I'm just an over thinker. I know the mask is designed for such an event, so good to know it works! From now on I'll just turn the machine on first before I put my mask on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum. Your profile shows "unsure" on machine. Really, after a year? Hope you stick around and enjoy the conversation and maybe learn a few things about this machine we all hook into.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
and if you find out you have a data capable machine, I would suggest downloading sleepyhead and watch your data. How do you know if things change if you don't watch for yourself? Your doctor and DME can't or won't do it for you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Welcome

Hi Jned,
The doc will just throw a machine at you and tell you to use it.

This group will show you HOW to make it work for you.

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I just placed unsure cause I was in a hurry to get my question answered. I'll download that app and update my system info. Thanks guys!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2015, 09:29 AM)Jneditch Wrote: Thanks guys! I'm just an over thinker. I know the mask is designed for such an event, so good to know it works! From now on I'll just turn the machine on first before I put my mask on.

There ya go... good idea! I do the same after sleeping one night without that good ole air. I still don't know how that happened. Just a usual night, but who knows.

Here's to many air filled nights! Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
The most dangerous thing you can run into is pulling your machine down on your head at night.
(A most rude awakening!)

I think that's why everyone tells you to mount it lower than your head on
the night stand.

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 166 Yesterday, 12:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 93 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 312 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 845 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 634 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 203 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.