Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Accidentally reset bipap to defaults - pressure settings now too high to sleep with
Sad 
Accidentally reset bipap to defaults - pressure settings now too high to sleep with
Hey guys,

So my dad did his sleep study years ago. Probably about 8 years ago or something like that. He has fallen on bad times since then and hasn't gotten the machine adjusted or upgraded or anything in all that time. He has been repairing the mask.

He uses a Respironics Duet LX System

Now, all this leads me in to where we are today, because today I messed up. See, I just bought my dad a new mask, the nasal pillow mask, because he finally decided repairing the old one wasn't working. I had read a review mention that the pressure was too high using the nostril direct mask like that, but that after finding the setting to turn it down, it was a great mask.

So I started trying to research pressure settings, and I found this site, but I couldn't find information on my dad's bipap. I found this thread: [link removed] which suggested that older Respironics' pressure settings could be accessed by holding the ramp button and one of the user buttons while plugging it in. So I started trying different combinations of these, like he said in his post, and I ended up reverting all settings back to default (done by holding the ramp button, and two of the ligther grey user buttons while plugging it in). This is a huge problem though, because my dad can't use his mask any more. Suddenly the pressure is way too high.

So now I have created a really bad situation, because he still doesn't have the money to see a doctor to get his machine checked out (or get a new machine), doesn't have any insurance, and now can't use his machine because I apparently erased the doctor's original pressure settings.

Even with his machine the way it was before he wasn't getting great sleep lately. He is tired constantly, and falls asleep everywhere. His old mask was the problem. If I could set him up with a good mask he would be fine.

If you can help me figure out how to access the pressure settings on this machine I would be extremely grateful. I really need to help him get to sleep. He is getting older (62) and I'm worried about him. On top of everything else he is recovering from Bells Palsy, which may have been caused by sleep deprivation.

I really just need to find a way to help him. I feel like this is a serious situation, but it isn't the kind of thing 911 helps with. I really don't know what to do.

Thank you for any help you can offer
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Accidentally reset bipap to defaults - pressure settings now too high to sleep with
This won't help immediately but the information about your dad's pressure settings is on the original prescription for the machine -- the prescription is part of his medical records and you should be able to obtain those records from the doctor who wrote the prescription. He is entitled to his medical records by law.

As for his symptoms, it may not be just the old mask -- pressure needs can and do often change over time. If he was not being followed by a doc or monitoring his own PAP therapy it might be that he needs an adjustment to his pressure(s) as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Accidentally reset bipap to defaults - pressure settings now too high to sleep with
Hi nimboo, welcome to Apnea Board.

Perhaps the instructions in the following REMstar_LX manual will help.

http://www.apneaboard.com/manuals51/REMs...-Setup.pdf

Good luck,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2016, 03:48 AM)kaiasgram Wrote: This won't help immediately but the information about your dad's pressure settings is on the original prescription for the machine -- the prescription is part of his medical records and you should be able to obtain those records from the doctor who wrote the prescription. He is entitled to his medical records by law.

As for his symptoms, it may not be just the old mask -- pressure needs can and do often change over time. If he was not being followed by a doc or monitoring his own PAP therapy it might be that he needs an adjustment to his pressure(s) as well.

Thank you, this is very useful information for when I figure out how to change the pressure settings
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi nimboo,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you in getting your Dad’s prescription so you can reset his pressure.
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2016, 05:28 AM)vsheline Wrote: Hi nimboo, welcome to Apnea Board.

Perhaps the instructions in the following REMstar_LX manual will help.

Good luck,
--- Vaughn

Thank you, Vaughn.

I tried those instructions, but they did not work. I tried many possible combinations while plugging the power cord in. The only combo that did anything was pushing the ramp button as well as the two small grey buttons while plugging it in - this reset the machine to defaults.

I included a picture of the bipap my dad is using. I really need to try to figure this out, preferable by tonight so he doesn't have to sleep without it again - he woke up exhausted today.

Post Reply Post Reply
How is that going? Were you able to adjust the pressure settings? What's the model number on that device? (Check the bottom, might be there.)
Post Reply Post Reply
From an old thread, here are the instructions for the Solo LX - may be similar on your Duet?

Instructions for entering Setup Menu of Respironics Solo LX:

1. Place the Solo LX device on a readily accessible surface. Plug in the power cord to the wall outlet. Unplug the power cord from the rear of the device.

2. Hold down the "Pressure" and "Ramp" buttons simultaneously while plugging the power cord back into the rear of the device. Release the buttons.

3. Read the current pressure setting on the display. Press the "Ramp" button to increase the pressure setting.

4. Hold down the "On/Off" button when finished and press the "Ramp" button once. Release the "On/Off" button.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2016, 09:58 AM)Winterfrost Wrote: How is that going? Were you able to adjust the pressure settings? What's the model number on that device? (Check the bottom, might be there.)

Thank you so much for checking up on us, friend. I hadn't checked back here in a bit because I sort of realized no one really knows how to get into this old machine - nothing I have tried works.

My efforts have since been focused on an alternate solution. After considering some options (including a new mouthpiece, etc), my dad and I have decided that finding an auto cpap machine would be our best option, as it seems to place less importance on obtaining a new sleep study. He would be willing to pay between $500 and $700 to fix this problem, he really really needs to start sleeping soundly. We pretty much realized that even if we figure out how to change the pressure on his old machine, it is still many years old and we may not be able to get it right either way.

So I've started looking around at autocpap machines - do you have a recommendation? I've found some Resmed S9 's on craigslist, some of them with under 100 hours on them for around $500. He wouldn't need a prescription to purchase these, but I'm not sure if the S9 is the best machine for him.

(02-18-2016, 07:19 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: From an old thread, here are the instructions for the Solo LX - may be similar on your Duet?

Instructions for entering Setup Menu of Respironics Solo LX:

1. Place the Solo LX device on a readily accessible surface. Plug in the power cord to the wall outlet. Unplug the power cord from the rear of the device.

2. Hold down the "Pressure" and "Ramp" buttons simultaneously while plugging the power cord back into the rear of the device. Release the buttons.

3. Read the current pressure setting on the display. Press the "Ramp" button to increase the pressure setting.

4. Hold down the "On/Off" button when finished and press the "Ramp" button once. Release the "On/Off" button.

Thank you for your suggestion, friend. Unfortunately, when I try this I just get the message "Keys stuck" on the screen. I tried all combinations of ramp/other buttons and found that the only combination that does anything is ramp button and the two grey buttons (resets machine to defaults) all other combinations, including the one you listed here simply return the "keys stuck" message.

We are now looking for a new machine, as this seems to be the cheapest route to getting him back to sleep. Any advice on a good auto cpap? I assume autocpap is the best route? Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi nimboo,
Try Supplier #2
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

This site sells lightly used machines also new open box zero hour machines.
I assume you need a script. Do you have your dads original script?

Supplier #26 offers new Phillips Respironics Auto Cpaps with heated humidifier and heated hose for under $500.

I would look to these sites before paying that much for an S9 on Craig's list. That is too much for that machine.

Some here have also found new APAP machines on Amazon.

Here's a link to help you see some of the machines available and which to avoid.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Definetly get an Auto Cpap. Good luck.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Optimal Settings on iBreeze BiPAP to reduce FL ewriter 2 45 11 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 298 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 50 2,169 04-16-2024, 02:57 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,385 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA
  [Pressure] High pressure Tomarovsch 1 111 04-12-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Bipap VAuto Settings Help Please jonoc99 5 156 04-12-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 135 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.