Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Accidentally reset bipap to defaults - pressure settings now too high to sleep with
RE: Accidentally reset bipap to defaults - pressure settings now too high to sleep with
Nimboo, where are you located?

$500 will buy you a brand new auto CPAP. Either the Philips Respironics System One Remstar Auto (DS560HS) or the Resmed S9 Autoset will be excellent auto CPAPS. SecondwindCPAP (Supplier #2) at this link is currently selling a S9 Autoset for $329 http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List That will come with a warranty, and is a very reliable vendor. They are also selling a PRS1 50 Series BiPAP for $599. That is a bilevel machine and is a good unit if you don't require a heated hose capability.

SecondwindCPAP is also selling a "New, Factory Sealed System One REMstar® Auto CPAP System with AFLEX" for $449 including the humidifier, standard hose, carrying case, power supply and manual. Given these prices, I would not go to Craigslist, provided you can provide a prescription copy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Accidentally reset bipap to defaults - pressure settings now too high to sleep with
(02-26-2016, 12:06 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Hi nimboo,
Try Supplier #2

This site sells lightly used machines also new open box zero hour machines.
I assume you need a script. Do you have your dads original script?

Supplier #26 offers new Phillips Respironics Auto Cpaps with heated humidifier and heated hose for under $500.

I would look to these sites before paying that much for an S9 on Craig's list. That is too much for that machine.

Some here have also found new APAP machines on Amazon.

Here's a link to help you see some of the machines available and which to avoid.

Definetly get an Auto Cpap. Good luck.

I checked out your links, they are very informative, especially that second one on which machines to avoid - Thank you so much! I now realize I was looking at the "elite" s9 on craigslist, which would not have been an auto cpap, glad I checked here before buying that one!

As far as the prescription goes, are you saying that the old perscription will still work? I talked to my dad and he doesn't think he'd be able to find it, but he's going to give it a shot. Do suppliers have a limit on how old the perscription can be? My dad has been using this maching for at least 8 years, so that may be an issue and make finding the perscription a non-issue.

I was also wondering if the medical records themselves could act as a perscription? If we were able to contact the hospital where he had the sleep study done, and ask for his medical records, would we be able to purchase from these suppliers with that alone? He's really not sure if he's going to be able to find it - we've moved twice since he first got the study, so it's a longshot.

(02-26-2016, 12:09 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Nimboo, where are you located?

$500 will buy you a brand new auto CPAP. Either the Philips Respironics System One Remstar Auto (DS560HS) or the Resmed S9 Autoset will be excellent auto CPAPS. SecondwindCPAP (Supplier #2) at this link is currently selling a S9 Autoset for $329 That will come with a warranty, and is a very reliable vendor. They are also selling a PRS1 50 Series BiPAP for $599. That is a bilevel machine and is a good unit if you don't require a heated hose capability.

SecondwindCPAP is also selling a "New, Factory Sealed System One REMstar® Auto CPAP System with AFLEX" for $449 including the humidifier, standard hose, carrying case, power supply and manual. Given these prices, I would not go to Craigslist, provided you can provide a prescription copy.

We are located in Dallas, Texas. We are currently in Kansas (drove our vehicle up here to get some free auto work from a good family friend). I mention this because we are going to have to pass through a few areas on our way back home - which may be relevant if you have a local option we can check out in mind or something.

What would be the ideal machine? One we wouldn't have to worry about for a long time? Tracking software would also be awesome, as would, I suspect, a humidifier and possibly heated tubing (my dad had been placing a space heater next to his bipap for a while as the cold air bothered him). Would you say the A10 autoset would be one of the best he could get his hands on?

I'm only asking because in case we do end up being forced to resort to craigslist, I want to know which one to keep my eyes open for.

Again, thank you all for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

PS: Have I not been a member long enough to post links? Whenever I quote you guys it makes me delete the links you posted before I can reply, weird.
Post Reply Post Reply
nimboo,
Yes, the original script should work if you can locate it, or if your dad has a physician that he uses and knows his medical history, he may be willing to write a script.

The online suppliers will keep a script on file indefinetly.

I don't know if you read through or looked at Supplier #2 web site, but they do offer help obtaining a script. If all else fails, they have a good reputation, and I wouldn't be afraid of doing business with them.

Hope you can get this resolved soon.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nimboo, I provided you with several very specific clues what machine to buy and where to get it. The Supplier list must be referenced on this site http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

If you post a link to a sale or commercial site, the moderators will delete it and issue a warning (read the rules). I told you to check Supplier #2 on that link (secondwindCPAP....). There are brand new auto machines. The "New, Factory Sealed System One REMstar® Auto CPAP System with AFLEX" for $449 is equal to the Resmed S10 Autoset in every way. It records full data on a SD card, and can be upgraded to a heated hose for $75. Many other machines on that site, including the Autoset are available at a good discount.

In Dallas there is a Resmed S10 Autoset for $650 on Craigslist. However you can get one professionally refurbished from Supplier #10 for $629 with a warranty. Shop carefully, you're on the right track.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good news!! We found something! I'm not sure if it's the prescription or not, but it is a 7 page sleep study results document signed by the doctors. It's labeled "Nocturnal Polysomnographic Examination." It was done 12 years ago, in 2004. It has graphs, and a ton of information about his diagnosis, etc.

He has an AHI of 61.4, and an AHI of 87.27 while on his back.

I believe this document will serve as a prescription? Or maybe not, but at the very least I can show it to Supplier #2 to prove he has apnea, correct?

(02-26-2016, 08:55 PM)OpalRose Wrote: nimboo,
Yes, the original script should work if you can locate it, or if your dad has a physician that he uses and knows his medical history, he may be willing to write a script.

The online suppliers will keep a script on file indefinetly.

I don't know if you read through or looked at Supplier #2 web site, but they do offer help obtaining a script. If all else fails, they have a good reputation, and I wouldn't be afraid of doing business with them.

Hope you can get this resolved soon.

I did look through Supplier #2, and saw the part about how they help with physician authorization. I don't know what this means, but I called them, and the operator took my message and told me that they will call me back on Monday when they are open.

(02-26-2016, 10:08 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Nimboo, I provided you with several very specific clues what machine to buy and where to get it. The Supplier list must be referenced on this site

If you post a link to a sale or commercial site, the moderators will delete it and issue a warning (read the rules). I told you to check Supplier #2 on that link (secondwindCPAP....). There are brand new auto machines. The "New, Factory Sealed System One REMstar® Auto CPAP System with AFLEX" for $449 is equal to the Resmed S10 Autoset in every way. It records full data on a SD card, and can be upgraded to a heated hose for $75. Many other machines on that site, including the Autoset are available at a good discount.

In Dallas there is a Resmed S10 Autoset for $650 on Craigslist. However you can get one professionally refurbished from Supplier #10 for $629 with a warranty. Shop carefully, you're on the right track.

I'm sorry, sleeprider. I don't want you to think I had ignored your links - in my mind I was asking a separate question, because I honestly didn't think we'd find his prescription, so I feared I wouldn't be able to purchase any of the machines you had listed.

I definitely read the link about which machines to buy, I read the whole thing, but just wasn't sure about which one of those machines was considered to be "the ultimate." But now I get the feeling you are saying any of the ones there are good, and there is no real reason to spend more money on one than another? I'll check out the ones you mentioned just now, thank you so much.

No, I am talking about the links you posted - I never tried to post a link, but when I quote your comment it makes me remove the link that you posted in your comment. Which is weird, because it let you post it, but not me. Edit: Oh just realized it is because I have a post count below 8 haha, so ya it's a new user thing, I'll be able to post links later.

Thank you so much for your help - I feel that even if this Polysomnographic thing isn't the prescription, at the very least it may be all the proof we need to get a prescription from Supplier #2, or maybe a doctor.

Post Reply Post Reply
nimboo,
I don't know if they would accept a polysommographic as a script. Some online sites may. Check with your doctor, and see if he/she would be willing to write a script based on that. All you can do is try.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With the Polysomnograhy you can get a prescription written by almost any doctor. That study is the diagnosis of his condition. That diagnostic study does not need to be repeated in order to obtain replacement equipment. A prescription could be written by his primary care physician.

Alternatively, you may submit a copy of the study summary to a prescription service like the one offered by Easybreathe See Supplier #30. They offer a prescription service for $99, where his data and a questionnaire about his past treatment will be reviewed by a physician who will provide you with a new script. Look for their CPAP prescription package. You should get a new script in 2-days. Of course any physician prescription is yours to use wherever you want, but Easybreathe probably figures, you'll just order from them. They also will bill insurance, so not a bad package from an online vendor.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys! Turns out the documents I have are sufficient for Supplier #2! (If this can get them in trouble, please pm me and I will remove this info).

I'm just trying to decide on a machine from them now - struggling a little bit between cpap vs bipap. In the link sleeprider gave me about how to choose a machine, it says: "some people need bilevel machines." The Duet LX was a bipap. However!

I talked with the fella from swcpap about the expiratory pressure relief found on some of the auto machines - he believes it may be sufficient. I was looking at the vpap machines - holy cow they are a LOT more expensive than the auto cpaps.

How do I determine whether or not my dad needs a bilevel machine?

I'm willing to send someone my dad's polysomnographic if you think you could help me figure it out, BUT here is a quote from the polysomnographic that may be of help:

"Impression:
1. Abnormal nocturnal polysomnographic examination revealing the following abnormalities:
a. Moderately severe/severe obstructive sleep apnea
b. prominent sleep fragmentation

2. Successful treatment of obstructive sleep apnea employing the following therapeutic parameters:
a. cpap pressure of 6cm of water
b. medium small respironics profile mask
c. chin strap
d. 12 feet of tubing
e. in-line humidification

Comment:
This patient has fairly prominent obstructive sleep apnea. There is considerable sleep fragmentation. Oximetry overall was relatively well preserved. Pressure requirements were fairly average.

The patient overall feels that he would like to continue to use the BiPAP, in that he feels his sleep would be more refreshing. Pressures under BiPAP would be difficult to calculate based on the present study, although an IPAP pressure of 8 or 9 and an EPAP pressure of 5 or 6 would probably be adequate."

After reading this, I get the feelin that perhaps the Bipap of 12 years ago may be equal to the autocpap of today, and that a vpap/bipap isn't really necessary? As far as I know the EPR goes down to 3, correct? meaning it would still be within the range the doctor from the sleep study recommended. I'd love your input - the $$ difference seems quite large, but if it is necessary we will do what we need to do.

Edit: when I say the $$ difference was quite large - I'm talking about the price of the Aircurve vpap, for example. I talked to my dad and he said he will spend however much is necessary. At this point he realizes that he used his last machine for 12 years. He figures a couple hundred more than he was previously willing to spend will be worth it, as he isn't going to be able to upgrade later if he cheaps out now. Plus, as we are saving money on a new sleep study, we may as well make sure we get the machine that is best for him.

I really appreciate you sleepy people Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Nimboo, either the Resmed S9 Autoset or Airsense 10 Autoset can provide the pressures in the summary above. Resmed machines are capable of providing CPAP pressure with exhale pressure relieve of up to 3 cm H2O. That means, you can set the Resmed to auto or fixed pressure that includes the recommended 8-9 IPAP pressure, and with the EPR set to 3, you will get an effective EPAP pressure of 5-6.

If you were to get either of those two machines, I would set it up in Auto mode with minimum pressure of 7 and maximum pressure of 11 and turn on EPR to 3.0. That should cover your needs.

If you can afford BiPAP, then the Philips Respironics BiPAP Auto is going to be the most comfortable, setup in AutoB mode, with EPAP min at 6.0, PS Min 3.0 PS Max 4.0 and IPAP max 13.0. We can review the results and fine-tune all this, but those are consistent with the old sleep study recommendations, and the Auto algorithm is going to help us to update those settings for any changes that have occurred. There is certainly more flexibility with bilevel to increase the difference between IPAP and EPAP (PS or pressure support).

A Resmed S9 VPAP auto or Aircurve 10 Vauto can be setup similarly, but will used a fixed pressure support of 3 or 4. Any of them should be fine to meet your needs, but I think the Resmed bilevels are more expensive. Keep us posted, and let me know if you are having any problems with the terminology I used. I'm sure SecondwindCPAP will interpret that study similarly and set this up for you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I think I figured out how to get into his Duet LX System!

By holding the power button and the right grey button, I got into the following series of menus:

Hold the power button and the grey button to enter this mode:

Pr Sensor = 202
Cm=0.0 0=-0.1
Turing the machine on increases the Pr Sensor and Cm values
Pr Sensor = ~510
Cm= ~15.7 0=-0.1

Mot DAC = 0
Period -1
Mot may be Not, and the DAC value can be altered by using the grey buttons, it seems to range from 0-200+
When you turn the machine on, Becomes
Mot DAC=225
Period 136
As you lower the DAC, the per;iod increases. A DAC of 111 corresponds to a period of 279, and is a much lower pressure than a DAC of 225 and a period of 136. You can change these values while the machine is on, and hear and feel the difference.

Valve DAC=128
Turning the machine on does nothing. You can adjust the values of Valve DAC with the grey buttons
Lower values seem to reduce pressure, in a different kind of way.

Motor Current
ADC:1=2 mA

DC Level
ADC: 16=240 mV

Flow Input:
F1: 546 F2: 536
Turning the machine on changed the values to
F1: ~240 F2: ~840
The grey buttons do nothing

LPM: 0 (0)
0: -8 Raw: -8
Turning the machine on changes the values to
LPM: ~158 (~630)
0: -8 RAw: ~602

Pres SCI: SPI
0.0 00000:00000
The value in the bottom right is counting up
Turning the machine on changes the values to
Pres SCI: SPI
~15.7 00000.00000 (still counting up)
The left grey button restarts the timer

Clr time meters?
Yes

Deep Sleep?
Yes

FlowTable: -15883
Zero
Turning the machine on does nothing.
Pressing "Zero" Changed the value to 21845

I took notes on each one and what it did. Can we get this one working??? It seems the DAC changes the pressure of the machine, but they are much larger numbers than the Epap and Ipap numbers I was expecting.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 911 1 hour ago
Last Post: SingleH
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 193 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 124 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 689 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,550 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  [Pressure] My sleep dr raised pressure to 16 Vickil 4 147 03-19-2024, 01:41 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 104 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.