Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Accuracy of CPAP event classifications
RE: Accuracy of CPAP event classifications
The central events you zoomed in on may or may not be central apnea. I have strong doubts, mostly because they are random events that do not show any of the more alarming characteristics of central apnea pattern.  These may be sleep transition, position changes or obstructive that leave the airway open enough to appear as clear airway apnea.  On the other hand, particularly at the end of the night, the events are clearly obstructive and accompanied by flow limitations with flat-topped inspiratory peaks.  This suggests the pressure is too low to keep the airway patent, and I would expect some notable drop in SpO2 will accompany these flow limitations.  I have seen this kind of breathing pattern respond to simple increases in pressure, and also to pressure support, where inhale pressure is maintained higher than exhale pressure.  

In the second graph I have copied from your post, you can see several apnea where there is a vertical mark near the apnea flag.  Philips machines do not use forced oscillation technique (FOT) to probe the airway like Resmed, but uses individual pressure pulses to determine if the airway is open or obstructed.  Those hash marks show where the pulses occur. During a truly central event, we usually see the respiration flow rate chart deflect when the pulse is applied. This shows the airway is open and the air pulse can pass into the deeper airway and rebound, while with an obstructed, the appearance is usually less visible. Most of the pressure pulses we see here have very little effect, and the shallow, irregular breathing is clearly obstructed and flow limited.  I don't think your son is experiencing a lot of central apnea, but it would be the task of a bilevel titration study to evaluate if the breathing volume can be restored through bilevel pressure support, or if it needs a backup rate to maintain the respiration rate.  I suspect the former.  The two ways this may fall out is that your son responds to higher CPAP pressure and breaths normally, or he ends up benefiting from inhale pressures higher than exhale pressure to maintain a normal breathing wave-form.  Only failing those two approaches would a device like ASV with a backup rate be considered.  First things first, I expect the next step will be simple increased pressure.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5709]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5710]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Accuracy of CPAP event classifications
Looks to me like the problem is still obstructive. Have you thought about trying auto mode? By setting the minimum pressure to 6 but setting the maximum to 10 or so, then the machine can raise the pressure when it determines more pressure is needed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 394 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 329 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  CPAP sticks on higher pressure after Obstructive Apnea event AlanR 3 461 11-12-2023, 12:19 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  What is a 'Clear Airway' Event? dreamstream 13 16,353 08-29-2023, 08:09 AM
Last Post: nallac
  Cheyene Stokes event - first ever in 120 nights Willgetthere 2 510 08-27-2023, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Willgetthere
  [Diagnosis] Is this indicative of most events happening during REM? | What is a respiratory event Dire 4 554 08-08-2023, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Dire
  CA with arousal before event VS no arousal sleep2023 1 516 08-01-2023, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Sleepy Quixote

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.