Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bit of a unique situation not sure how to proceed
Bit of a unique situation not sure how to proceed
So, when I was in the Army back in 2010-2014, the last 6mo I got diagnosed with OSA and was given a machine. I think it was a medres. It was an APAP that felt like normal breathing but kept everything in tip top shape. I used to be able to sleep for 8-12 Horus with little issue. Doc said I was just a long sleeper variant. Once I got my machine, I used it for 6mo, but because I was getting out and crappy leadership I wasn't made aware of how the payment plan worked. The army paid for the device every month for 12mo. Since I got out with 6 to spare, and didnt know to transfer it to the VA(which I found out years later), I got smacked with a collections case. Well, I returned it to them, and it went away. Which sucked because that device changed my life. I went from 8-12 and being tired, to 6-7 hours and waking up before my alarm. 

Years later, I started defense contracting. My sleep study was still on my file, and they wanted paperwork to show I had a CPAP or they wouldn't let me deploy. So, since it was a weird time for contracting(didnt want to get fired because I couldn't deploy right away) I went and contacted a local provider for a sleep study and told her the story. And asked her if she could say I dont have it and I could submit that. She said she didnt feel comfortable with that, but we could do the sleep study and see what it says. When I arrived that day and we talked more, she said I could sleep on my side and somewhat my stomach and maybe this would help the results in my favor..which I know helps SOME of what they look for in the study. On my back the results arent great. But that night with being able to lay mostly on my stomach my results came back as borderline OSA, and she wrote me a slip saying in her professional opinion I was clear and no longer have sleep apnea. I was much appreciated.

Alls well that ends well.. except now, im having this issues. Im currently in Iraq, and will be for a year for this contract, so I cant see a doctor OR do a sleep study. My gf(we just had started dating and sleeping over) told me before I came out here for this deployment that I snore a lot and stop breathing in my sleep and its very scary. I have been getting zero restful sleep out here even when I get a full 8-9. I was seeing if I could just buy a machine outright, but it seems theyre prescription. Are there doctors who would consult online, or places outside the US I can acquire these things? Im getting tired to the point that I could see it becoming an issue in the future. Im trying to nip this in the bud before it start affecting my work. 

I was searching online for answers, and a reddit post recommended this board. Im at my wits end with what to do. Ive got 10mo left on this year contract I agreed to do, and I dont want to go a full 10 mo feeling like this.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bit of a unique situation not sure how to proceed
There may be a few options depending on whether you have an APO address. You could buy a used, or new Cpap on OfferUp (private sale) and have it delivered to a friend, then they could ship it to you to the APO address. Also, if buying and shipping through Amazon via APO is available to you then they do have a few new Cpaps that the sellers call “sleep machines” or “sleep aid machines” since Amazon prohibits sale of Cpaps the vendors call it by another name. Just be aware that there isn’t much history IRT to these devices on Amazon and they are obviously Chinese, but with few options it may work for you until you get back to the us.
Post Reply Post Reply
Before you consider buying a machine. First think about what you need:
* CPap or APap (probably the last since you have no therapie settings)
* Do you need a humidifier or has your sleeping environment a high humidity
* What kind of mask do need ( What is your sleeping position, do you turn around a lot)
I think I've seen a couple of places in europe where you might be able to buy a CPap/APap without prescription (both new and used Resmeds). Alternative you could ask some to buy a travel CPap for you. (Much lighter, but I don't know if they are suitable for every day usage)
I would be wary to buy a random chinese brand, getting to much pressure might hurt your lungs.
Make sure that you get a device that you can readout your therapie data. As you don't have a sleeping study I think you at least want to have the option to post it here to get some advice if things don't work out immediately
Post Reply Post Reply
If you go the route of a travel machine, make very sure that it has data.

You will really be on your own, and you can't manage the machine without data.

(Although those of us with expert "help", and insurance, DMEs, etc. know that we're on our own anyway, since those people are often useless.)
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a vender list at the top of the site. #2 (we are not to give a name) has new and used machines and I have read on this site that they will ship out of country.

I have purchased 2 used ones from them. One had been used 1 month the other 1 week. Great machines and excellent service.

My suggestion is ResMed s10 AUTOSET. AUTOSET is the model you want.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't help with sourcing a machine, but I will say that wives or partners are much better at diagnosing sleep apnea than any sleep technician. If you have one and she says you have apnea, believe it. I didn't and I believe the heart attack I eventually had was a direct result of long-term untreated apnea.

Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2022, 08:30 PM)SleepinAZ Wrote: There may be a few options depending on whether you have an APO address. You could buy a used, or new Cpap on OfferUp (private sale) and have it delivered to a friend, then they could ship it to you to the APO address. Also, if buying and shipping through Amazon via APO is available to you then they do have a few new Cpaps that the sellers call “sleep machines” or “sleep aid machines” since Amazon prohibits sale of Cpaps the vendors call it by another name. Just be aware that there isn’t much history IRT to these devices on Amazon and they are obviously Chinese, but with few options it may work for you until you get back to the us.

I do have an APO address, Im on an airfare base for this deployment. So mail functions per normal like any other US address, luckily. Ill have to check out OfferUp, I have never heard of that site before. My first venture was to amazon, and I saw those machines.. but was untrusting with so few reviews, and not knowing if they were legit or not. Plus I couldn't tell what was or wasn't an APAP. Im trying to stick as close to the original system as I was using. I know I had an APAP. I appreciate the response and direction. 

(07-14-2022, 09:11 PM)mchris Wrote: Before you consider buying a machine. First think about what you need:
* CPap or APap (probably the last since you have no therapie settings)
* Do you need a humidifier or has your sleeping environment a high humidity
* What kind of mask do need ( What is your sleeping position, do you turn around a lot)
I think I've seen a couple of places in europe where you might be able to buy a CPap/APap without prescription (both new and used Resmeds). Alternative you could ask some to buy a travel CPap for you. (Much lighter, but I don't know if they are suitable for every day usage)
I would be wary to buy a random chinese brand, getting to much pressure might hurt your lungs.
Make sure that you get a device that you can readout your therapie data. As you don't have a sleeping study I think you at least want to have the option to post it here to get some advice if things don't work out immediately

Youre right, I have no settings, but Im going off the one I used to use which I know for sure was an APAP machine. Im in Iraq, so low humidity, but I was in Tacoma, WA while still inn the Army while I had the last one. He still wanted me to use the water tray with it to condition the air. I sleep on my stomach or side/stomach mix. I think I move around a lot yes. And the mask I used before was two bulbous things that rested in my nose and wrapped around my head. I was able to start falling asleep on my side or back while using the APAP and stayed asleep all night. Now it is hard to sleep on my back.

(07-14-2022, 09:47 PM)cathyf Wrote: If you go the route of a travel machine, make very sure that it has data.

You will really be on your own, and you can't manage the machine without data.

(Although those of us with expert "help", and insurance, DMEs, etc. know that we're on our own anyway, since those people are often useless.)

I would prefer to not have a travel machine. From here on out, Ill lug the full monty with me. 

(07-14-2022, 10:00 PM)staceyburke Wrote: There is a vender list at the top of the site. #2 (we are not to give a name) has new and used machines and I have read on this site that they will ship out of country.

I have purchased 2 used ones from them. One had been used 1 month the other 1 week. Great machines and excellent service.

My suggestion is ResMed s10 AUTOSET. AUTOSET is the model you want.
I appreciate your response as well with directed information to a source just as the first response as well. Once I finish replying I will go look through both that were given. That exact model of resmed is what I was looking for. My problem, is if the site requires a script or not. Since my issue is I dopnt think I can find a doc over the internet to help me with this.

(07-15-2022, 02:03 AM)StevesSp Wrote: I can't help with sourcing a machine, but I will say that wives or partners are much better at diagnosing sleep apnea than any sleep technician. If you have one and she says you have apnea, believe it. I didn't and I believe the heart attack I eventually had was a direct result of long-term untreated apnea.

Good luck.

I for sure have it. I have always known I have. I can wake up a room with my snoring if im not on my stomach. I was diagnosed in the Army.. and even the second sleep test I did that the tech basically helped me swindle it.. it said I had it, but was borderline enough that she was able to give me a clear to go ahead and say im fine and dont have it. That allowed me to keep my job and Deploy. My old gf said, and this new one said it both about my breathing. The more I hear from videos on YouTube around fitness, I hear people that are knowledgeable about biology saying this is probably a silent killer of more people than anyone likes to admit and takes more years off peoples lives than anything else.. and its rarely taken serious. Now that I've entered my 30's Ive been taking my health a lot more serious. Between her words to me about not breathing in my sleep, and how I feel now. I know I need to treat it. Even if it's on my own with your guys help until I can see a real doctor. 

I really do appreciate everyones response and guidance with such direct answers.
Post Reply Post Reply
The prescription requirement pertains to machines sold in the US. If any, what is the requirement for these devices in Iraq?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2022, 05:56 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: The prescription requirement pertains to machines sold in the US.   If any, what is the requirement for these devices in Iraq?

Well its a precarious place. You must obey local laws, but simultaneously obey US laws on base as well. Even if it's just a FOB. However some rules supersede iraqi ones, and others dont. I placed and order and am talking to the person well see what happens. It technically is an international order and you must fill customs sheets out to ship here.. but an APO is an extension of a US postal service option and US address if im not mistaken. So its a borderline of the two if im not mistaken.
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome! Machine arrived! Just received it when I came on shift, and will be setting it up when I go home this morning. Thanks everyone that spoon fed me resources, I really do appreciate it.

Now on to the next step, setting it up and figuring out settings. I got the ResMed AirSense 10 auto set!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [CPAP] Help to understand current situation and OSCAR data 3dkid14 0 253 01-18-2024, 04:21 AM
Last Post: 3dkid14
  [Diagnosis] Unique situation, wondering if anyone could elaborate on my study kc90 6 537 12-27-2023, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [CPAP] Unique finding? Looking for recommendations and any expertise. gold3n 5 660 11-04-2023, 01:47 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  In my situation (described within) which is better: S9 or Aircurve 10? erouting 7 681 08-14-2023, 05:20 PM
Last Post: erouting
  [Pressure] I need some advice with my sleep apnea situation. cpap2994 4 658 05-14-2023, 02:20 AM
Last Post: Llort
  Unique Cpap chinstrap Ctyankee 1 648 03-31-2022, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question 24 hour stomach bug - how to proceed? astraith 4 1,102 02-21-2022, 01:11 AM
Last Post: clownbell

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.