Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Aches from sleeping in one position
Aches from sleeping in one position
Howdy folks, newbie here!

I just started using cpap for severe OHA (AHI  100+, yoikes!) and I'm pretty pleased with how well it's going so far. I don't have any issues with comfort with the mask or air pressure.  I've been getting about five hours with it on a night with good results, I just seem to take it off a couple hours in (I think in my sleep), wake up later to pee and put it back on. I'm guessing eventually I'll adjust and stop doing that. The chest aches were bad after the second night but already feel better after the third.

I'm a side-sleeper normally and find that now I'm sleeping in one position while the mask is on that I am VERY achy when I wake up. I'm morbidly obese so I'm sure the weight and pressure from it doesn't help. My neck, shoulders, back, and hip feel like crap. I feel like if I switched to sleeping on my back that would probably help but I'm reading that's not a good idea. My incidence counts were no better or worse on my back or side during my sleep study though.

Does anyone have any tips for sleep comfort? Anyone experienced the same thing?  Does it improve over time?  Huh Dont-know Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Aches from sleeping in one position
You are adjusting to an eventual new normal, but you have quite a way to go...sorry.  If you are adapting well, and you say it is so, chances are excellent that you are sleeping better, more deeply, and are therefor experiencing fewer 'arousals' as the night progresses.  Meaning, you're in a deeper and more satisfying sleep, so you don't move as often.  Regrettably, this means you're likely to get stiff and sore.  It happens to me, although I am a recent devotee to low carb-high fat and have lost 22 pounds.  I find I sometimes awaken, as fit and as redeemed by CPAP as I am, to find myself sore or stiff, and I know it is from spending longer in one position.

You will continue to teach yourself how to live, including how to sleep, and that will possibly include losing some weight if your sleep improves and you find your appetite changing (possibly your diet too....?).  Apnea offers all sorts of other problems, weight gain, poor sleep, insulin resistance, immune suppression, organ stress, weakened cognitive function....it goes on.  If your machine is serving you properly, those things will hopefully improve some, and continue for some time....months.

I would strongly advise against sleeping on your back.  Across the board, those of us who offer comments routinely advise people not to resort to supine sleeping because it encourages apnea events.   If your mattress is more than 8 years old, and if you are 'heavy', there's a good chance you need a new mattress.  I would suggest you try some, and not for the 30 seconds it takes for the sales rep to beam at you because YOU are beaming, and then you say you'll take that one.  Spend ten minutes on one side to see if the top layer both envelopes you AND supports you.  Seriously?  You're probably going to have to spend >$1000 for a good mattress that you'll love for about 10 years.  My missus and I spent about CDN$2K....each... five years ago for those deep Dormeo/FutureFoam type mattresses.  Mine required about three months of off-gassing after it was unpackaged before I would sleep on it, but it has been several years and I still like it a lot.  I can spend almost 5 hours in one position, and yes, I'm sore when I finally awaken.   But, after five whole hours of therapy.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
The purpose of CPAP is to get a good night's sleep so your body can do it's maintenance while you sleep. And pain can be a big disruption to good sleep. I don't see why you can't move around.

I have arthritis and have to move pretty much every two hours. Sometimes the pain is so bad I have to think really hard about how to move and cause the least amount of additional pain. As a result I sleep on all four sides.

You might find you will get more leaks .... from the movement. But try it and see what happens. The machine should take care of the apneas, but if it doesn't, you could adjust the pressure to compensate.

I find I am more likely to get air in my mouth when I sleep on my back. It is usually just before waking and I guess I am at my most relaxed then and I can't keep my tongue in place. In that case, I just change positions.

Others will differ in their opinions, but I think feeling rested after sleeping is what it is all about.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, I appreciate your response. It's about what I expected to hear. A new mattress isn't quite in the budget at the moment but if the aches continue I'll try some sort of mattress topper and then start saving and researching for a mattress purchase. It's ten years old so I knew I'd need a new one soon anyway.

Thanks for your response. The problem is I don't move while I'm sleeping.. not much that can be done about moving about *during* sleep. I generally only wake once now so I can readjust then but I already feel achy by that point. I think a better pillow and mattress might help.
Post Reply Post Reply
When shopping for a pillow, be sure it's not too high or too puffy. These type of pillows will definitely throw your neck out of line and cause shoulder and neck pain.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm getting older by the day. That being said, nothing gets any better the older you get. My left hip tends to ache at times, but it does come and go. 

I'm basically a side sleeper. Can't sleep on my back at all. I have to change positions quite often at night. I try to do that w/o waking my wife and it can be a challenge. 

We've thought about getting a new mattress, but that can be a PITA as well. Trying to find one that does everything the store or commercials on tv says it does. 

I had a total right knee replacement done in Nov. of 2016. My left knee is beginning to feel the way my right knee did before the surgery. I'm hoping for a few more years though, before having my left knee done. It too, can ache at night if lying on my left side. 

Anyways, I make the best of it, and I'm grateful that I'm not as bad as some others are. Some are far worse off.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2020, 10:56 AM)Big Guy Wrote: ...
We've thought about getting a new mattress, but that can be a PITA as well...

Gosh, hip, knee, and the butt.  I don't know how you sleep AT ALL! 

Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Going into a mattress store can be as bad as driving up to a used car lot. They're gonna tell you anything you want to hear in order to sell you a mattress. 

We're due for a new one, but I need to study up on what's available these days.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you would feel more comfortable sleeping on your back, you can do so. Your PAP machine should be able to permit back sleeping unless you had tested at very high apnea while doing so.

Any of the sleeping positions, back, side, stomach, all need the correct pillow to hold your head and neck at the right height. Each of these positions need a different pillow as well due to varying needs based on the position. Example is that side sleeping, the pillow must be thick enough to fill the area equal to standing next to a wall and measuring from the shoulder to neck. Any less than that means your neck is kinked to one side, and reduces sleep comfort.

Maybe try a new pillow first. Maybe a My Pillow or a buckwheat hull fill type. Another possible adjustment is to raise the head of your bed or mattress a few degrees to add to your comfort. I have to sleep with the head raised up a bit, sleeping on my side due to HIGH back pain. I am not suggesting you consider my bed and mattress, as these come from a DME. But you can incorporate a raised head bed end. A wedge pillow under the mattress could be an option.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hesitate to say "it will solve your problem" as everyone's mattress and body are different, but I was experiencing similar problems, and got almost total relief from a 3-inch memory foam topper from WalMart.  Mattress is 10 years old, and my wife and I are looking to replace, but this buys us time.  We put it under the mattress pad, and it stays in place well.

As far as sleeping on your back, you shouldn't fear it.  I usually sleep on my side, but often fall asleep on my back.  Apneas are higher but it's a difference of AHI <1 on side and <3 on my back.  Still well controlled.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 813 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 203 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 250 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 399 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.