Acrobat alternative PDFCreator, good/bad?
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

Acrobat alternative PDFCreator, good/bad?
I have version XI of Adobe Acrobat on this machine. It's time to rotate this machine out of service in favor of my more powerful machine.

Due to license restrictions, I cannot move Acrobat to the other machine. And, I'll not pay Adobe their ridiculous price for Acrobat DC.

One alternative that I have found is PDFCreator. It's open source, free, AGPL licensed.

I sometimes need to merge PDFs, print to PDF or bundle JPGs into a PDF. It appears PDFCreator can do those things.

Has anyone tried it? Good? Bad?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-12-2016 07:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Crimson Nape Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: P-10 / F&P Simplus / DreamWear
Humidifier: H5i w/Climateline
CPAP Pressure: 8 - EPR 3
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS-50F & 50IW

RE: Acrobat alternative PDFCreator, good/bad?
Since you like Acrobat and it didn't "fall off a truck", why not try transferring it over to the new computer? I found the following directions to do this:

Adobe allows you to transfer your copy of Acrobat to any computer in your business, as long as you also transfer your license and activation. If you don't have an installation CD you can download the software to the new computer, but only if you purchased Acrobat directly from Adobe. If you're using the latest version of Acrobat, you can also download and activate the trial version of Adobe using your existing license; otherwise, you won't be able to transfer Acrobat unless you can get the installation file from another source.

Step 1
Deactivate Acrobat on the old computer by launching the application and selecting "Deactivate" from the Help menu. Select "Suspend Activation" in the next window. When you suspend activation, you can no longer use Acrobat on this computer. However, you still have the option of reactivating the app if you run into problems transferring the license to the new computer. Once you have successfully transferred the license, you can come back to this screen and select "Deactivate Permanently."

Step 2
Find your serial number by logging in to the My Adobe website (link in Resources) using the same username and password you used when you first activated the software. Hover your mouse over your name at the top of the screen, and then select "My Products and Services." Click the arrow next to "Adobe Acrobat" to view the serial number.

Step 3
Download the installation file from the My Adobe website to the new computer. If you purchased Acrobat from Adobe, hover your mouse over your name and select "My Orders." Click the "Download" link next to the entry for Acrobat and then follow the download instructions. To download the trial version, click the "Download" tab at the top of the page, select "Product Trials," click the "Try" link under the Acrobat listing and then follow the prompts.

Step 4
Run the Acrobat installation program on the new computer. Enter your serial number when prompted, and then click the "Activate" button. The program will automatically communicate with the company's website to confirm the serial number, and you can begin using Acrobat on the new computer.

I hope this may help. Of course if it doesn't, you just go back to plan A and get PDFCreator.

Statistics prove that people who have more birthdays live longer.
06-12-2016 09:32 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(06-12-2016 09:32 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote:  Since you like Acrobat and it didn't "fall off a truck", why not try transferring it over to the new computer? I found the following directions to do this:

Adobe allows you to transfer your copy of Acrobat to any computer in your business, as long as you also transfer your license and activation. If you don't have an installation CD you can download the software to the new computer, but only if you purchased Acrobat directly from Adobe. If you're using the latest version of Acrobat, you can also download and activate the trial version of Adobe using your existing license; otherwise, you won't be able to transfer Acrobat unless you can get the installation file from another source.

It came from Dell. It was purchased for less than retail price as a post delivery download. It was a bundle with Photoshop essentials and some useless video software. I do see a "deactivate" in "about."

I have no idea what the activation codes were -- seems like there was just a download link on the Dell machine.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-12-2016 09:59 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
green wings Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics System One RemStar Pro (460)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: integrated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 13.0 cm

Other Comments: using CPAP since Jan. 2016

Sex: Undisclosed

I have PDFCreator on my machine. About all I've ever done with it is "print to PDF", though, so I can't give you a thorough review or recommendation.
06-13-2016 09:24 AM
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

I have Adobe Acrobat professional 9.5 and have continued to install it on newer machines. If you have version 11, it could be Reader, or some OEM version of Standard. I get a lot of use out of the program since it does OCR and forms as well as other tasks. In addition, I'm not fond of the new cloud approach that Adobe is using to subscribe for program use, rather than to own it.

I have used PDFcreator and it works okay. It takes a more modular approach, but seems to read and write PDF files competently. It actually does a better job of converting tables from Word or Excel than Acrobat Pro.

06-13-2016 11:59 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

I am even less fond of the cloud approach. Seems like Adobe and MSoft are looking for a continuous revenue stream.
(MSoft with their Office 360.)

I think I have an OEM edition of Acrobat XI supplied by Dell. I went to my Adobe account and cannot find a code for Acrobat.
And, it's not the reader version.

I read, this morning, that MSoft has bought LinkedIn. Wonderful. Will there be monthly updates and security patches? Will they push a cloud based version?

06-13-2016 12:57 PM
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

I quit using Adobe products years ago because I cant afford to keep paying them over and over for a product that doesn't work that well.
Now I use LibreOffice. It's free and uses a standardized file format that other programs can read. If you want you can export material to PDF if you really need to.

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
06-13-2016 02:32 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

If I didn't have multiple licenses for Office 2007, I'd be using LibreOffice.

06-13-2016 03:06 PM
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

I run Acrobat Pro XI on my Mac. My original (version 8 I think it was) came bundled with my Fujitsu ScanSnap document scanner. I paid for the upgrade once (around $200). One issue I found with LibreOffice there are some oddities with some of the PowerPoint transfers and it affects one of the things we do in regard to the way it handles embedded videos.

When I paid for the upgrade they charged me the wrong sales tax. Even though I have a city address, we are exempt from the city sales tax. Adobe has there billing software set by city, state instead of zip code. Tried to explain that to the rep and it made no sense. The difference was significant enough that I filed a complaint with our state tax folks and they made Adobe refund the difference.

Homer
06-13-2016 08:01 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Hmm888 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Remstar Pro Legacy/AirSense 10
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed
Humidifier: Respironics/Resmed
CPAP Pressure: -
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncorePro

Other Comments:

If not mistaken, with PDF creator you need to use PDF Architect to do merging and other enhanced features that Acrobat Pro does.
07-10-2016 02:25 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Good news: No link between coffee consumption and common type of irregular heartbeat DeepBreathing 13 936 12-13-2015 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyH
  The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. justMongo 32 1,492 10-01-2015 01:40 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Alternative to BD syringes? Cost too high justMongo 31 3,551 06-07-2015 07:19 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  so hard to get a good coffee Paptillian 38 5,698 05-24-2015 08:40 PM
Last Post: 2PAPs
  Oh good grief, what next? retired_guy 4 728 11-28-2014 02:46 AM
Last Post: herbm
  [News] Study says coffee is good for your eyes SuperSleeper 2 991 05-06-2014 10:27 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  American Dietetic Association Using State Legislatures to Block Alternative Nutrition SuperSleeper 0 1,587 07-12-2012 02:21 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper