Acrobat alternative PDFCreator, good/bad?
FrankNichols Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed F10 and/or P10
Humidifier: Builtin
CPAP Pressure: 17-19
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: I've figured out how to get my AHI down to 5, I quit sleeping!

Sex: Male

RE: Acrobat alternative PDFCreator, good/bad?
I guess I am just weird, the only use I ever make of PDFs is when I have to open one someone sends me.

I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
07-10-2016 04:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
nzbnate Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit™ P10 w/ ClimateLineAir™ tubing
Humidifier: HumidAir™ (Dishwasher Safe)
CPAP Pressure: Min 8 Max 20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I have used Foxit Reader for awhile now, it also allows you to create and edit PDF documents. Works great and its free.
07-13-2016 05:28 PM
srlevine1 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense Autoset (S10)
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Activa LT
Humidifier: Internal to S10
CPAP Pressure: 12-15.6

Other Comments:

(06-12-2016 07:34 PM)justMongo Wrote:  I have version XI of Adobe Acrobat on this machine. It's time to rotate this machine out of service in favor of my more powerful machine.

Due to license restrictions, I cannot move Acrobat to the other machine. And, I'll not pay Adobe their ridiculous price for Acrobat DC.

I have used a number of alternative PDF products and they mostly work fine for everything except conversions to other formats such as Word, the editing of PDFs that require non-embedded fonts, or the handling of graphic images with dodgy resolutions. I have used the product you mention successfully, but for limited circumstances. It worked fine. But, I still prefer the full Adobe version -- and hate the cloud versions of their products.

As for Acrobat XI, do you have an Adobe Account? If so, download the old version and apply the old key and it usually works fine. Treat the transaction like a crash recovery. If the last product was an upgrade, just have the previous license key available. Adobe is quite accommodating on "crash recoveries," not so much on upgrades to new machines.

There is another alternative. Use a professional grade backup utility (like Acronis True Image - Home Version) that allows you to backup your entire system and restore it to another computer with different hardware. "Acronis Backup’s reliable Universal Restore technology enables complete system recovery to new, dissimilar hardware without any complications! Skip the hassle of locating a machine of the same make/model or operating system—recover an entire disk image to any hardware with a few simple clicks." You can get a 30-day trial and try the methodology.

And, yet there is another alternative -- buy a cheap version of the obsolete XI product (full version) on eBay for a considerable price savings.

As the former Chief Technologist (retired) of a financial services company heavily invested in PDFs, I have just about had every possible experience with their use and modification. Including being part of the FBI's investigation and prosecution of the Russians for breaking Adobe's PDF encryption in the first court test of the DMCA.

Best of luck.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2016 07:54 PM by srlevine1.)
07-13-2016 07:52 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
srlevine1 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense Autoset (S10)
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Activa LT
Humidifier: Internal to S10
CPAP Pressure: 12-15.6

Other Comments:

(06-12-2016 09:59 PM)justMongo Wrote:  It came from Dell. It was purchased for less than retail price as a post delivery download. It was a bundle with Photoshop essentials and some useless video software. I do see a "deactivate" in "about."

I have no idea what the activation codes were -- seems like there was just a download link on the Dell machine.

Download the free version of Belarc Advisor and run it. It will display a ton of information about your system including any activation codes.
Look in the Software License section and you will see your Adobe codes. Hope this helps.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
07-14-2016 06:00 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Good news: No link between coffee consumption and common type of irregular heartbeat DeepBreathing 13 941 12-13-2015 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyH
  The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. justMongo 32 1,492 10-01-2015 01:40 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Alternative to BD syringes? Cost too high justMongo 31 3,555 06-07-2015 07:19 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  so hard to get a good coffee Paptillian 38 5,698 05-24-2015 08:40 PM
Last Post: 2PAPs
  Oh good grief, what next? retired_guy 4 728 11-28-2014 02:46 AM
Last Post: herbm
  [News] Study says coffee is good for your eyes SuperSleeper 2 991 05-06-2014 10:27 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  American Dietetic Association Using State Legislatures to Block Alternative Nutrition SuperSleeper 0 1,587 07-12-2012 02:21 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper