Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Mask fitting and adjustments
Question 
Mask fitting and adjustments
Ok, so i've only been using a cpap for 2 nights now.  It is a machine that i'm borrowing until after I get my titration and prescription for my own....with that said, i've never met with a DME or had a proper mask fitting.  

Is there a good tutorial somewhere to show how to "properly" fit a mask?  The Thursday night was my first night and I used a Dreamwear FFM....I adjusted it so that it didn't feel too tight or too loose.  Throughout the night I had several leaks that woke me up...mainly around the bottom of the chin area...from drool seeping through, and up from under my nose.  

Last night, I readjusted it and I think I may have had it too tight...while I didn't have any leaks around the nose this time...it was mainly from the drool or condensation around the chin area.  This morning when I woke up...my nose was soar like it had been scrunched up all night and i had some pretty deep strap marks...I walked into the kitchen and my wife and daughter laughed at me...lol  

I've read that it takes time to figure it out....figure since i'm new to all this, I'd ask.  Thanks
A man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy" ~ Pres. John F. Kennedy
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask fitting and adjustments
You can check the link for mask primer below. Also they have you tube videos for most masks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbM39gKtY
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Vitamin J.

I know I have seen posts about mask fitment and tutorials too, but I couldn't find any right away. Try Google.

My best advice based on my own experience is to adjust all straps as loosely as possible. Lie down in your bed and turn on your machine. Give it time to get up to pressure. NOW assess the leak situation and fit. Adjust the straps to your comfort and gently move it around a bit to see if there are any obvious leaks. This will get you started, but it will be a process of fine-tuning your fit for a while.

Most masks rely on an "inflation" of the seal to allow it to kind of float on your face. If you can find the happy medium of comfort and leak prevention, you'll have it licked.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2018, 10:45 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: You can check the link for mask primer below. Also they have you tube videos for most masks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbM39gKtY

Ditto on that. Mask setup, especially for a full face can be difficult.

It would be helpful to post the daily screenshot though so we can see what pressures you are running and what mask leaks look like.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info guys...i'm gonna try upsman's advice.

I'll check out that video too.
A man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy" ~ Pres. John F. Kennedy
Post Reply Post Reply
Try this and see if it helps:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...GUARANTEED

Good luck!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,778 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 5 484 03-09-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
Gross Need help interpreting data and making adjustments tiredandexpired 13 583 03-01-2024, 10:07 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Help Interpreting OSCAR data and making adjustments Catbois 1 172 03-01-2024, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto - Adjustments sleepy9994 11 1,360 10-28-2023, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Air pressure adjustments Jeromer 14 1,359 10-12-2023, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Lucky7

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.