Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Adding Daylight Savings support to OSCAR
Adding Daylight Savings support to OSCAR
I've been using OSCAR for a while to view the data from my Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, which does not automatically adjust it's internal clock for daylight savings. The date and time settings are on the clinician's menu, so the user presumably isn't meant to adjust the machine's clock either.

This didn't really bother me until I recently got a Contec CMS50H pulse oximeter and started importing data from it into OSCAR to see if my SpO2 or heart rate varies when the CPAP machine reports an apnea or hypopnea. Obviously for this to work they need to be time synchronised, but if I enter the time in daylight savings time into the CMS50H at the start of the session, they're out by an hour because the CPAP machine is in standard time.

Would it be possible to add support for daylight saving adjustment to OSCAR so that it presents times in daylight savings time when displaying sessions that were captured when DST was active?

Cheers,
Graham
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Adding Daylight Savings support to OSCAR
From my limited knowledge of OSCAR, it only records the time without an identifier for DST. Even if it did, many users travel with their CPAP and are setting the time to a different time zone on a regular basis.

When importing your SpO2 data, there should be an option to either use the oximeter's time or use the CPAP's staring time. Try selecting the latter.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2021, 03:59 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: From my limited knowledge of OSCAR, it only records the time without an identifier for DST.  Even if it did, many users travel with their CPAP and are setting the time to a different time zone on a regular basis.  

When importing your SpO2 data, there should be an option to either use the oximeter's time or use the CPAP's staring time.   Try selecting the latter.

This would involve adjusting times during import, or recording whether DST was in effect and adjusting them when displayed later.
I suspect most users aren't travelling most of the time; it makes sense to optimise and automate the most common case.
Unfortunately the CPAP time is the one that's incorrect, unless the user knows how to access the clinician's menu and bothers to change it; which the manufacturer appears to discourage.
Post Reply Post Reply
Eventually we'll probably record everything as UTC and convert local timestamps to that upon import.

But for now it's a bit of an inconsistent mess, largely thanks to the different manufacturers doing different things.

(And it will eventually be easier to fix timestamps after import.)
Post Reply Post Reply
So based on what I'm reading there's no retroactive way to manually adjust time stamps in OSCAR? I forgot to change my clock in my BiPAP machine while my Viatom pulse oximeter changed automatically because it's synched to my phone and just noticed that the two sets of data have been offset by an hour for the past week. Grr. No way to fix it?
Post Reply Post Reply
The way I understand, your CPAP data is 1-hour behind your SpO2 data. You might also consider trying this first. I'm uncertain if the Clock Drift has any effect on oximetry data, so I don't know if this will work. Purge just the oximetry data. Then set the Clock Drift to -1 hour and try importing the oximetry. If this works, forget the paragraph below.

Second method: Purge both CPAP and oximetry data for the days that are out of sync. Then go to File > Preferences > CPAP > Clock Drift. Increase the hour setting to a +1. Import your CPAP data. Go back and set the Clock Drift back to zero. Now, import your SpO2 data.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried. Neither of those methods are viable since the clock drift is universal and retroactive. If you use the clock drift to make the post-daylight-savings data "spring forward," all of your cpap data moves forward so that everything from before the time change is an hour late. Moving it forward and back doesn't do anything to sync or lock it with the oximetry data. The two data sets appear to be completely independent.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd keep it simple for now and do the forbidden: adjust the time in the ResMed machine through the Clinical Menu. 

I wonder whether this also happens with Respironics and other machines. 

Any program-change would need manual interception anyway... Unless somebody has a bright idea that takes everything in consideration.
Arie KLERK: Member of the Dutch Apnea Association staff (https://apneuvereniging.nl) and proud to be the OSCAR Translations Team Coordinator. 
***Please help us: We’re always looking for more translators and language editors***

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients, but just dedication to AB. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Arie, I'm sure you're aware the Respironics machines have no user-accessible clock settings. I think all are set to GMT.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2021, 07:23 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Arie, I'm sure you're aware the Respironics machines have no user-accessible clock settings. I think all are set to GMT.

Just because of that! I wonder, if there's no problem like above, the solution must be to act like them. I.e. set it all to GMT or whatever...
Arie KLERK: Member of the Dutch Apnea Association staff (https://apneuvereniging.nl) and proud to be the OSCAR Translations Team Coordinator. 
***Please help us: We’re always looking for more translators and language editors***

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients, but just dedication to AB. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar support for Lowenstein Prisma20A pls2000 1 72 03-22-2024, 08:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR Device Support xxxxqwe 9 222 03-18-2024, 05:59 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Software support for the Astral 150? Peashee888 10 620 02-18-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  support for AirSense 11 model 39520? roost 1 250 02-12-2024, 07:41 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  BMC G2S A20/Luna II OSCAR support HarryDuBois 9 955 01-18-2024, 03:13 AM
Last Post: A KLERK
  OSCAR- How to set time change to (Daylight Savings time) Reesche 5 751 01-03-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Reesche
  Created a program to support Wifi SD card for Resmed and all other devices narual 13 2,251 12-08-2023, 07:29 PM
Last Post: JerryE

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.