Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Additions to your humidifier water?
Additions to your humidifier water?
I've researched this before and found out that you really shouldn't add any essential oils to the water because it can leave oily deposits in your lungs (and machine of course), but what about using a light herbal tea instead of the regular water when you have a cold? For example Camomille has healing, anti-inflammatory properties.

Is anyone doing this or is it a bad idea? In a different post someone told me the humidifier could grow bacteria is anything is added that gives the bacteria "food," which makes sense, but a person could perhaps use a couple drops of a herbal extraction. Since they are basically pure alcohol (plus the herbal properties) there could not be possible bacteria growth. Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Additions to your humidifier water?
If you had something in the room, you'll probably smell it. Air is drawn into the CPAP from the room.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2016, 10:16 PM)Russatrice Wrote: I've researched this before and found out that you really shouldn't add any essential oils to the water because it can leave oily deposits in your lungs (and machine of course), but what about using a light herbal tea instead of the regular water when you have a cold? For example C(h)amomille has healing, anti-inflammatory properties.

It does? What evidence is there that this is so? I'll agree that it has a reputation based, so far as I can see, on the advertising of companies that sell Chamomile tea, or perhaps "ancient herbal lore" (whatever that is). But what double blinded studies published in reputable peer reviewed journals reach this conclusion?

I think we should be very careful when making claims.

For instance, even if chamomile tea is good for your stomach, does that mean it is good for your lungs? I don't think that's a reasonable conclusion.

Quote:Is anyone doing this or is it a bad idea?

Even if some people are using it that doesn't make it not a bad idea.

I think you should perhaps be very wary about introducing random organic compounds directly into your lungs. But, having now to deal with kidney problems bought on by using over the counter anti-inflammatory medications at the "safe" dose specified on the lable, perhaps I am in the "once bitten twice shy" population.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
The only thing I have ever augmented my water with was a salbutamol nebule (i.e. generic ventolin liquid for nebulizer use). I was having a rough patch with a cold and figured one nebule's worth evaporated over the night should provide some assistance to the airways without giving me the jitters Wink That's about it for what I'd personally put in my lungs via the CPAP as it was made to go there...I'm like eseed otherwise, I tend to keep things out of my CPAP so they won't cause other issues.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:It does? What evidence is there that this is so? I'll agree that it has a reputation based, so far as I can see, on the advertising of companies that sell Chamomile tea, or perhaps "ancient herbal lore" (whatever that is). But what double blinded studies published in reputable peer reviewed journals reach this conclusion?

Well, even a quick Google search will bring up statements like this:

I discussed your question about inhalants with Dr. Randy Horwitz, medical director of the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine, and an expert on CPAP use. He noted that with this device, the air pressure is considerable – much higher than when simply inhaling steam. This can propel droplets deep into the lungs, which is a concern if you use oil-based inhalants (such as essential oils). Even a small amount, Dr. Horwitz said, might cause lung irritation.
He also noted that normally a CPAP machine is used during the six to nine hours that you sleep, which is quite different from a few minutes of steam inhalation. He said he would be concerned about the effects of overexposure to an inhalant.

But as always, one could ask their doctor, that would be better than relying on Google.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2016, 04:45 PM)PsychoMike Wrote: The only thing I have ever augmented my water with was a salbutamol nebule (i.e. generic ventolin liquid for nebulizer use). ...

For those who don't already know, a nebulizer creates a medicated mist.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I was interested in also adding fragrance but as someone posted adding anything to the water may be a problem. In my reading online the other option that people are using is putting the scent on a cotton ball and placing it near the air intake on the cpap machine. These are essential oils and there is even a company selling this for use with a cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 32 11 hours ago
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,735 Yesterday, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,313 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 151 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 699 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 417 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 330 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.