Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Leak/Fit problems - looking for mask suggestions for first-timer
RE: Leak/Fit problems - looking for mask suggestions for first-timer
I would try a minimum pressure setting of 9 cm and a maximum of 20 cm for a couple of nights. Once you see what it does, then you will have a better idea what settings may be ideal. I suspect you will spend a good part of the night at less than 11 cm, and only occasionally go above 11 cm. Remember that setting a max of 20 does not mean it will go there. Another thing to keep in mind is that each mask may require a different pressure. After using my F20 for four nights I have concluded it needs at least 1 cm more pressure. And in any case I think last night may be my last night with the F20 anyway. I have the leaks solved, but it is simply not nearly as comfortable as the P10.
Post Reply Post Reply
@fats - Thanks for the encouragement. It's definitely been a process. Now that I have a few nights under my belt, I too wonder if I can just train myself to keep my mouth shut. I'll keep working on it! Smile

@Ron - Thanks for the advice. I shall try it with a minimum 9 setting and open it up to 20. I'll see how it goes...
That's interesting what you say about a different pressure for each mask. I had no idea that would make a difference.
Re: the F20 - I agree. Great design, just not comfy for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2018, 12:48 PM)fs12 Wrote: That's interesting what you say about a different pressure for each mask. I had no idea that would make a difference.

And just to be clear and not misleading, when I say a different pressure, I mean a different indicated pressure by the machine. Each mask and hose combination is going to have a different pressure/flow characteristic. These machines only estimate mask pressure, they do not measure it. So perhaps what the machine reports as a different pressure may actually be the same mask pressure and the mask setting is not perfectly correcting for the flow induced pressure losses. And the other possibility is that if the mask is causing discomfort and frequent arousal events, the machine may keep producing more pressure in response to the events, which may or may not be actual apnea events.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for clarifying, Ron.
I guess the machines are only so smart, eh?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 32 9 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,010 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 153 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 135 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.