Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Adjusting your own CPAP machine
RE: Adjusting your own CPAP machine
For me and most others changing settings as needed is a very good idea.
We avoid having a cookie cutter approach of arbitrary numbers applied when pap therapy is very indivodual.
Myself relying on the Docs settings id likely have brain damage by now even with an ahi of 3. Those events were lasting around a min and a half each.
My friend spent 8 yrs on an auto set for single pressure, smothering with a continuing ahi of 11being told he was doing great.
I now seldom go over 1.
And neither does he.
Nuff said.
Post Reply Post Reply
well i'm new to all this and was told off in no uncertain terms today when my sleep clinic discovered i'd setup my own machine Sad

all i did was follow the script i'd been provided - not exactly rocket science. Anyway had they rang saying the Dr wanted to alter my pressure (down thank goodness) but there was no way I was being told the new setting - this was something the clinicians should only ever set.

Apparently i'm to stay on 18.4 for another two nights before they can look at it.
Oh-jeez

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum Gyddyup! You have found a good place.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
HST- NoxT3
AHI=0.8, my "brick" is still working! lol
It does show a little residual snoring so there is a narrow window for tweaking it but I think I really need to take better care of my RAD first. lol
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2015, 06:20 PM)jec335 Wrote: I have also decided to take home a home sleep test tonight. It will only test respiratory effort, airflow, oxygen saturation and heart rate but if it shows I am not well controlled on my current settings, with my old "brick" (lol) then I may just have to upgrade and follow your advice!

There are lots of other reasons to get a newer machine. They really are quieter, longer lasting, and more precise than ever before.

I'm late to the party, but welcome aboard. We can use a member with your expertise and good will around here.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2015, 03:43 AM)Gyddyup Wrote: well i'm new to all this and was told off in no uncertain terms today when my sleep clinic discovered i'd setup my own machine Sad

Don't be discouraged. Follow what they say until you are not so new. Give it a chance to work. You may not need to make any changes. There is a lot to learn and in the beginning, there is a lot of decision making going on taking in to consideration any other health issues you may have.

If you are not tolerating therapy well, don't wait to speak up. The beginning successes are the most important.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm new to an Autopap, which has auto ramping, pressure relief, and automatic climate control for humidity and tube temperature., as well as cellular and wireless service so my data is automatically uploaded to the MyAir site and my dr can look at it and adjust my settings remotely.

I was also told by the supplier how to change certain settings that I could tweak for comfort. I was also given a Resmed pamphlet with my manual with a list of problems and how to change the settings for comfort level.

So some of us that talk about changing settings have been given permission by our drs and instruction to do so. The one thing I do not change is the maximum pressure, but with the autopap, I'm staying well below the maximum anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2015, 10:50 AM)usertc Wrote: The one thing I do not change is the maximum pressure, but with the autopap, I'm staying well below the maximum anyway.

When that doesn't happen we say the machine "runs away" and we have to lower the maximum pressure if it causes issues like discomfort, and especially aerophagia. Of course, we have to be careful that we don't lower it too far. We want to keep the airway inflated, but we also want to be comfortable enough to be able to sleep. Missing sleep (due to discomfort) is not healthy, but it's not as unhealthy as sleeping while not breathing.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, what an interesting and informative thread! Thank you jec335 for initiating this. I for one will benefit from your postings and from all of the responses. My equipment supplier will not provide any information on changing settings except ramp time settings. With a little digging I was able to find the information. The suppliers resistance to user changes and more so, that of many doctors is, I believe, due to liability concerns.

Again, thanks for starting the discussion and thanks to all who responded. That's what makes this forum so helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2015, 12:17 PM)stanleydean Wrote: Wow, what an interesting and informative thread! Thank you jec335 for initiating this. I for one will benefit from your postings and from all of the responses. My equipment supplier will not provide any information on changing settings except ramp time settings. With a little digging I was able to find the information. The suppliers resistance to user changes and more so, that of many doctors is, I believe, due to liability concerns.

Again, thanks for starting the discussion and thanks to all who responded. That's what makes this forum so helpful.

:grin:
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 90 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 307 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 307 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 626 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,736 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Need help adjusting settings cokepi 1 131 03-08-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.