Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResScan 7.0 now available! [old version]
RE: ResScan 7.0 now available!
Well, I'll go ahead and recommend that to the developers...

....oh wait... I was thinking that the ResScan developers actually cared about us end-users.  I apparently got ResScan confused with OSCAR.   Bigwink Bag-head
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

(12-09-2021, 07:25 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Well, I'll go ahead and recommend that to the developers...

....oh wait... I was thinking that the ResScan developers actually cared about us end-users.  I apparently got ResScan confused with OSCAR.   Bigwink Bag-head

Ha!  No argument at all...

I do like the "Compliance Report" that ResScan produces.  Other than that, it is clunky and hard to use -- seriously, it feels like I'm using an app from the 90's instead of 2021, and I'm on a pretty state-of-the-art Windows desktop.  My guess is that Resmed spent a fair amount of effort (money) developing the original version of ResScan, but then fired all the good developers and hired a skeleton crew of entry-level programmers to "maintain" it the last few years.  It definitely "works", but the user experience delivered says it is on "life support".

More than that, Resmed exclusively consider their "customer" to be the DMEs/Doctors and the insurance companies.  Compliance data has 10x the priority as actual "analysis" of the data.   

In trying to import my data to ResScan, I ran into some significant problems. When I changed my "time zone" on the AS11, it not only deleted all of its internal data -- it also deleted the SD card file that holds the summary data plus plus "start/end dates" and created a brand new one.  ResScan won't easily combine the two periods, i.e., before/after the time zone change.  While it imports and has all the detail data from both periods, it only usese the "last imported" set of summary data file AND compliance reports.  So that means that a "time zone change" on the AS11 (no idea about other machines) can mess up the ability to create a 30-day compliance report.  It's really a mess, with poor flexibility.

Of course, OSCAR handles that just fine other than some minor display issues (of which the OSCAR team is already aware).  I have all the data (before and after the time zone change) in a single profile on OSCAR.  It would be nice [FEATURE REQUEST] of Oscar could mimic the "compliance report" that ResScan provides -- though getting various agencies to accept that as authoritative may still be a challenge.

OSCAR is way much more responsive (both the application performance itself AND the development team, to be sure).  But the DMEs and Doctors want something "certified by the equipment manufacturer", whether it works well or not.  <sigh>

When I'm in charge of world health care delivery standards, things will be different!!!!   (lol)
(12-09-2021, 08:53 PM)ScottZZZ Wrote: When I'm in charge of world health care delivery standards, things will be different!!!!   (lol)

You've got my vote, Scott.   like
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

(12-08-2021, 05:26 PM)ScottZZZ Wrote: Leak rates (Median, 95%) appear to match.  Oscar reports "99.5 percentile" whereas ResScan reports "Max", so no direct comparison there.  

The AHI scores appear to match.  ResMed appears to truncate (not round) to the tenth, whereas Oscar reports to the hundredth.

The one area where there is significant mis-match....  Pressures.  Both report Median and 95th percentile.  Oscar reports 99.5 percentile whereas ResScan reports "Max". But there is a significant difference in the Median and 95% values reported.

On my 12/6 data:
 Oscar reports Med=10.14, 95%=11.78, 99.5%=12.36.
 ResScan reports Med=9.3, 95th=11.0, Max=11.7.

On my 12/7 data:
 Oscar reports Med=10.58, 95%=13.10, 99.5%=16.58.
 ResScan reports Med=9.8, 95th 12.3, Max=16.

Those are some pretty significant differences -- though I have no way to determine which is a more accurate calculation.

Thanks for the detailed comparison. You mention that for Leak Rate, OSCAR reports 99.5% percentile while ResScan reports "Max." But are the numbers the same or different? 

AHI comparison is somewhat more complicated. I can tell you what we have observed in the CPAP machine screen display and previous versions of ResScan: The machine rounds the elapsed time of each session to the nearest minute. Then it divides the total number of events by the total number of minutes (converted to hours).  OSCAR, on the other hand, adds all the session elapsed times together in milliseconds, without any rounding. It then makes the AHI calculation. You can see that rounding by session is likely to produce different results, sometimes markedly different results, than not rounding except for the final display (by .1 for the machine and by .01 for OSCAR). You can recalculate this yourself to confirm.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
(12-09-2021, 08:53 PM)ScottZZZ Wrote: I do like the "Compliance Report" that ResScan produces.  Other than that, it is clunky and hard to use -- seriously, it feels like I'm using an app from the 90's instead of 2021, and I'm on a pretty state-of-the-art Windows desktop.

Which report do you call the "Compliance" report, as I don't see that in the menus. Are there any other cases where you prefer ResScan reports to OSCAR? 

ResScan is medical software, so no doubt has been through a review by FDA to demonstrate it does what it says it does. This can put a thorough block on innovation in future versions as small changes might be approved automatically as fixes to an approved product, but an entire new UI might require they go through an approval process again. I've seen this before on other medical reporting software -- they don't get updated to newer standards.
Useful links

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
(12-10-2021, 12:33 AM)GuyScharf Wrote: Thanks for the detailed comparison. You mention that for Leak Rate, OSCAR reports 99.5% percentile while ResScan reports "Max." But are the numbers the same or different? 
AHI comparison is somewhat more complicated.
I created a more detailed comparison using 7 days of data. 

The most significant area of difference is "pressure".  No idea which is more accurate (OSCAR or ResScan).  My *GUESS* is that OSCAR is calculating the values based on the second-by-second data, and ResScan is probably using a value from the summary data reported by the Machine.  But that doesn't explain why they're so different.

The Leak Rate data ("99.5%" from OSCAR, "MAX" from ResScan) are different, as would be expected.  But the "MAX" is useless, since it includes even a momentary huge leak from (for example) adjusting the mask at start of therapy.  OSCAR's reporting of 99.5 percentile is much more useful.

For both Leak Rate and AHI, my personal data doesn't give a lot of "variety" to test the statistics, as I have very low leaks and well-treated apnea.  But hopefully the comparison is of some use anyway.

(12-10-2021, 12:37 AM)GuyScharf Wrote: Which report do you call the "Compliance" report, as I don't see that in the menus. Are there any other cases where you prefer ResScan reports to OSCAR? 
I'm seriously not very familiar with ResScan, and I may have also missed some capabilities in OSCAR, but here goes...

There's only (1) report that I'm aware of in ResScan -- obtained by clicking the "Report" icon in the top ribbon.  However, that report is hugely customizable, via a dialog that allows adding/removing or re-ordering various elements (i.e., patient info, individual statistics, summary graphs, detail graphs, etc.).  What's nice is you can generate a "30-day compliance report" that has elements of (selectable) patient data, (selectable) summary statistics, and (selectable) summary graphs in one brief report.   Once customized, creating that same report again in the future is "one click".

With OSCAR, I can go to Summary graphs, choose the graphs I want, "Last 30 days", and print.  Then I can go to Statistics and print that.  Roughly the same data, but more cumbersome to create and combine, with steps to be repeated every time I want to create it.

OSCAR is hands-down better at "interactive analysis" -- which is more important to ME than reporting.  I almost never need a report, but I know some people need them regularly for job-based compliance checks.  The ability to design/customize a "30 day compliance report" and re-create it with one button is a nice feature of ResScan.  I don't know if it would be used enough to justify the development time in OSCAR, so I'm not saying it should be any priority -- just that it is a nice feature.
(12-10-2021, 12:37 AM)GuyScharf Wrote: ResScan is medical software, so no doubt has been through a review by FDA to demonstrate it does what it says it does. This can put a thorough block on innovation in future versions as small changes might be approved automatically as fixes to an approved product, but an entire new UI might require they go through an approval process again. I've seen this before on other medical reporting software -- they don't get updated to newer standards.
Understood.  I have some experience from employment, and later as a pilot and aircraft owner, with a similar 3-letter agency:  FAA.   And you are exactly correct about the innovation problem.  We were still using decades-old aviation technology and designs for many things, simply because the regulatory hurdles for test/approval were so involved and expensive.  Some regulation is definitely required for safety, but that can also delay (or kill) innovations that would improve safety and economy.  It is really tough to find the right balance!
(12-10-2021, 01:54 PM)ScottZZZ Wrote: II almost never need a report, but I know some people need them regularly for job-based compliance checks.  The ability to design/customize a "30 day compliance report" and re-create it with one button is a nice feature of ResScan.  I don't know if it would be used enough to justify the development time in OSCAR, so I'm not saying it should be any priority -- just that it is a nice feature.

The next release of OSCAR will have a date range option on the Statistics page. That should help on getting compliance data for a specific date range.

I'll look into the custom report feature of ResScan for ideas for the future.
Useful links

(12-10-2021, 02:36 PM)GuyScharf Wrote: The next release of OSCAR will have a date range option on the Statistics page. That should help on getting compliance data for a specific date range.

I'll look into the custom report feature of ResScan for ideas for the future.

That's great, thanks!

Any thoughts on the difference in pressure values reported by ResScan vs OSCAR?

My only theory, given that
  1. The ResScan Statistics page makes no mention of EPR (though EPR is correctly shown on the Settings page), and
  2. The ResScan Median/95th pressures are consistently about 0.8cm lower than those reported by OSCAR, and
  3. I have EPR set for "full time" 1cm
...  I'm wondering if ResScan is combining/averaging inhale and exhale pressures over time to arrive at its Pressure Statistics, whereas OSCAR is reporting inhale pressure.  That seems like an odd decision on Resmed's part, but it might explain the difference.  I have to assume that OSCARs calculations have been checked/verified many times by now, so I'm inclined to think there is just some intentional difference in how the statistic is calculated.

The Detailed graphs track very closely (within 0.1cm) between OSCAR and ResScan, it is just the statistics (median, 95th, 99.5/Max) where ResMed is consistently lower for me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New version doesn't find profile BlueSky1958 7 87 03-26-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  ResScan 7 help! [password issues] DakotaNorth 2 93 03-26-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Cannot import data from ResMed Astral 150 to ResScan or OSCAR BreatheEZ 8 2,335 03-16-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  Does ResScan delete detailed logs/records from the SD card after downloading them? Determinism 5 179 03-15-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  ResScan 7.1 nawolfor 2 373 02-26-2024, 10:29 PM
  NOTICE: ResScan 7.1 Software now available [for ResMed machines only] SuperSleeper 0 430 02-26-2024, 10:27 PM
  The OSCAR 1.5.1 does not see the notes recorded in the earlier version. G. Szabo 2 205 02-26-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.