Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Periodic Breathing
RE: Periodic Breathing
Your results in the past were over 7-17 AHI.  This looks like an improvement from that point of view.  How is the comfort?

I'd like to try this a few more night and make sure we understand what's happening before making further changes, but this no longer resembles central or complex apnea.  Big improvement, and our next move may be to increase pressure to 8.5.

[Image: PpbFbNi.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you again for the reply and all of your assistance.

The 17 AHI is a misrepresentation due to the wake junk. In that screenshot (and with most of mine) I have highlighted the period where I knew I was not awake. During that period my AHI was zero. I agree to stay your recommended plan and will keep the setting at 8 with the aflex off. I really enjoy that Aflex but I'm sure I'll get used to it.  I may also be inappropriately cutting out areas that are legitimately causing events, I'll give you that, but not much. I wish there was a method in SleepyHead to cut out known wake states. I know I can roll over and hit ramp, etc. and restart, but it's not as easily done as it seems when one is trying to fall asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think adding Aflex back is certainly something we should do once you establish a baseline for the lower pressure therapy. The whole idea of this is to get comfortable, with more and better quality sleep. I'm not a numbers person, but this was an improvement in continuous therapy. I personally always liked an AFlex setting of 1 better than 2 or 3 with my past Philips machines. and that might be a good way to go.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleeprider,

I took it to 8.5 no aflex. I was able to get 2 hours of sleep on the machine.  Some periodic breathing came back right before I woke up. I was pretty stuffed up as I awoke, so tonight I am going to increase the humidity. However it was nice to get 2 hours in a row.  It looks like there were some leaks associated with my events, but I'm still new at deciphering this.

Do you think there is a chance that the pressure increase from 8 to 8.5 caused the periodic breathing or just coincidental?  
[Image: mq2qRmyl.png]

[Image: XJneRe2l.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
PB is more common in disrupted sleep and near the end of a sleep session. I would not worry about this one.

What is keeping you from getting a full night of sleep? I think we have demonstrated that you tolerate CPAP pressure without EPR much better than variable pressure with EPR. This is actually another indicator that we are dealing with a complex/central apnea problem. Periodic breathing can often occur along with complex apnea, and while it's not serious in the form shown in your charts, is another indicator of the unstable respiratory regulation that goes with that. I'm always concerned that coaching borderline complex apnea cases may delay or prevent you from getting a better form of therapy. If you were suffering through 20 AHI every night, you would be on ASV much quicker than if we get you down to 2.5-3 AHI.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,587 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 301 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 360 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  periodic leg movement sheepless 151 16,860 04-13-2024, 06:27 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 359 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 201 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 584 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.