Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Admin Note] Some preemptive suggestions regarding political discussion
Information 
Some preemptive suggestions regarding political discussion
Okay folks, unfortunately, I have to post this again, but I guess it's a good time to do so, as we're now approaching the U.S. Presidential election (and the uncertain future that our U.S. members may soon face).

And remember, I love you all, and the LAST thing I want to do is hurt one of our members.  So many of you are like my online family members.  I'm saying this out of my genuine concern for my online family-- I don't want to you get hurt, but some folks who have written to me privately need to understand how the real world works.

This Off-Topic Forum is not a "safe space" where you'll be protected from folks who hold a differing political opinion.  This Off-Topic Forum is kind of like the wild, wild west when compared to the other areas of Apnea Board.  Here, folks are free to pull out their political pistol and put all sorts of holes into your belief system in a very public way, as long as they abide by the forum rules and don't personally attack another forum member.  Please remember this:  Attacking one's position is NOT the same as attacking one's person.  Some folks who have written to me via PMs lately need to grasp that concept, and if they can't handle it, they should not even read anything in the Off-Topic Forum.

With that said, here is my Public Service Announcement:

Heated political discussion is allowed here in the Off-Topic Forum.  Please read this sticky thread, which explains this:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...STING-HERE

We generally don't close threads because of disagreements on politics.  We ask that people be civil and don't personally attack another forum member, but firmly-held political opinions are bound to get heated at times.

My suggestion is that if you don't like someone expressing a political opinion contrary to your own, simply don't read the Off-Topic Forum, or ignore what is being said here.

If someone violates a forum rule here, that will be dealt with privately by our forum staff.  Mostly, all we have in the past several weeks is a bunch of strong political opinions being expressed, which is completely allowable within this Off-Topic Forum.

This Off-Topic forum is sort of our "release valve" to keep heated political discussions out of the Main Forum (and other apnea related forums), while still allowing a degree of freedom to discuss issues and reply without fearing that our opinions will simply get wiped out by a Moderator.

AGAIN, if you don't like hearing political opinions contrary to your own, DO NOT COME AND READ THE POSTS IN THE OFF-TOPIC FORUM, and definitely don't write to ask me (or any staff member) to censor or punish someone else's political speech here in this Off-Topic Forum, because I will not do it.

Members are free to disagree and post in any of the threads here, of course!  They're also free to keep quiet and not respond at all.  Off-Topic discussion are what this Off-Topic Forum is here for -- so that political discussions do not spill over into the sleep apnea related areas of Apnea Board.

Thinking, mature adults should be able to vehemently disagree on politics here, then put their disagreements behind them and go into other areas of the forum and help each other and cooperate with regard to sleep apnea and CPAP issues.  But sometimes, adults, even with the best of intentions, fall into an emotional rage of anger (it happens to the best of us).  We sometimes lose our ability to disregard a political disagreement and let it spill over into other areas of Apnea Board.  If you find yourself doing that, please take my suggestion and simply stop reading what's posted here.  Life is too short to raise your blood pressure to unhealthy levels simply because someone on the Internet disagrees with you.

Thanks for listening.   Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

#apneaboard
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Some preemptive suggestions regarding political discussion
(11-01-2020, 10:31 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Here, folks are free to pull out their political pistol and put all sorts of holes into your belief system in a very public way, as long as they abide by the forum rules and don't personally attack another forum member

Just a reminder, heated political discussion is allowed, while breaking forum rules is not allowed.  Any posts that violate forum rules will be subject to editing or deletion, along with a warning from staff.

I don't care how upset folks are, nor how emotionally charged this whole political process is, violations of forum rules will not be allowed.

And I remind everyone that someone attacking your opinions is NOT the same as them attacking you personally.

Let's all act like adults, please.  If you can't handle the discussions in the Off-Topic Forum, my suggestion is to not even read things here.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

#apneaboard
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Some preemptive suggestions regarding political discussion
Hear, Hear!!  What SS said.

Disagreement is fundamental in a diverse society.  It's what gives it both strength and character.  Let's remind ourselves, and each other, that strength of character means being able to accept defeat if one's arguments are ably defeated.  Making it personal doesn't win the argument, it just sours it.  If you feel compelled to disagree, don't be disagreeable doing it.
Serial Tapist
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  POLITICAL TIME OUT srlevine1 10 1,283 04-25-2020, 11:54 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  Overactive Bladder Forums? Suggestions? ronlecroy 8 1,090 07-07-2018, 06:31 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  I need crypto Software. Suggestions justMongo 3 914 04-22-2016, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sn00zeAlarm
  Need suggestions ASAP Please me50 3 1,303 07-06-2015, 04:49 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  New Android Phone - finally took the plunge - suggestions for apps? SuperSleeper 30 11,229 04-03-2013, 05:45 AM
Last Post: b360155
Grin Treatment suggestions needed! jgjones1972 3 1,798 12-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Last Post: Bompa
  Should donations to candidates or political party be banned? zonk 10 4,205 03-27-2012, 11:30 PM
Last Post: PollCat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.