Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The Charts and Graphs Project: A collaborative effort - we need your help
Question 
The Charts and Graphs Project: A collaborative effort - we need your help
~ The Charts & Graphs Project ~

Howdy folks,

I've received a number of requests for some type of Excel spreadsheet for manually recording and displaying CPAP data.  In other words, where a patient can manually enter nightly CPAP data (such as AHI, perhaps other data also), and the spreadsheet automatically calculates your weekly, monthly & overall averages and also graphs this on a chart (Bar graph options and/or line graphs, etc), so that patient can spot changes and trends in their therapy results.

The request seems to come from folks who don't like to use a complicated software package like ResScan or SleepyHead.

In light of Apnea Board's collaborative and helpful community spirit, I'm asking those of you with a little Excel spreadsheet knowledge to help out if you can.  I'm hoping that we can come up with a finalized spreadsheet, and then upload the final version to the Apnea Board website for people to freely use as they see fit.

If you can help, or have any thoughts or ideas on this, please reply to this post and use the attachment feature (at the bottom, when you reply) to attach any spreadsheet file that you've done or you've found elsewhere.  

Then, others can build upon what you've done, and we all can make improvements to it as time goes on.

Anyone have thoughts on this?
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

RE: The Charts and Graphs Project: A collaborative effort - we need your help
my wife said she will try this but...."don't expect it tommorrow". between going to work at noon and getting home not before 10 or 11pm, then doing whatever in the morning and trying to watch dvr prime time tv shows in the morning, theres not a bunch of time. i wish i knew excel because i have all the time in the world. if someone else is an excel whiz, give it a go.

first we need to get an idea from the requesters about what data they want on this.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
I just love SleepHead.. its just too ez for me and has everything I want & need. It gives me the running avg's. I'm still using the older version 8.8.2., so the newer version probably has more then I need or at least in better format. Can't beat success.
Until Sleepyhead came along I had made and used a very primitive Excell spreadsheet just to make averaging the monthly numbers easily.
I actually didn;t use Excell but a free & open productivity suite called "Open Office.org".. its freeware ..

also there is a tutorial about how to put together and use Excell (Open Office) which uses the same format.. heres link to start your education
http://spreadsheets.about.com/od/excel20..._forma.htm
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Thanks guys... I do know how to do Excel spreadsheets, and getting a real basic sheet up and running I can do, but it's when it comes to the more advanced features like taking that data and creating nice-looking charts and graphs from it.... that's where I'm lacking.

For some reason, many people are averse to using software like ResScan or SleepyHead, but they feel completely comfortable using a simple spreadsheet.

A couple of things:

What kind of data would be useful to have on a spreadsheet like this? Keep in mind we want to keep it simple. It's basically a quick and easy spreadsheet for someone to manually record AHI each day plus maybe one or two other variables? (but that looks nice and is easy to use).

2. Anyone with experience in creating nice looking charts and graphs from within Excel with data like this?

I'd learn how to do this stuff, but I just don't have the time right now between work, this forum and trying to re-design the website plus other projects.

But, I thought I'd throw this out there in case someone has the time and ability to do this. Of course, it can be a collaborative effort... even if someone builds a basic spreadsheet, someone else can take that sheet and expand upon it, with nicer graphics, charts, etc.
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Microsoft has a chart & graph wizard that makes charting data really easy. You can choose any kind of graph you want and it grabs all the data from your spreadsheet. You can name the charts & graphs anything you want as well.

Once we all decide what data we want to see I can help with the spreadsheet & graphs if my help is needed. No problem.

tombarelybreathing.
anything worth doing is worth doing well...sleeping included...sleep well friends Smile
I'll start out with a basic spreadsheet with an attached graph and I'll attach the file so that people can start to come up with more ideas about what they want.

I don't know about everyone else but I find it easier to see an example and then work up from there. Give me a day and I'll have it here if you'd like...just let me know.

tombarelybreathing
anything worth doing is worth doing well...sleeping included...sleep well friends Smile

.xls   Sleep Data.xls (Size: 43.5 KB / Downloads: 251)

All,

Here is a rough spreadsheet ( very very rough) just so you can see an example of what it might look like. If you want me to finish it and install graphs for the info just let me know what info you want and i'll set it up.

tombarelybreathing
Wow, nice job for a version 1, Tom... thanks!

Okay, folks Tom's got us rolling... what do you think of this? Anything need to be added, changed, whatever?

Wish I had time to work on this but it's nearly 2 a.m. and I need to get some sack time.

Excellent Tom... see my PM I just sent to you also...

Well-done
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

(03-12-2012, 01:59 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Wow, nice job for a version 1, Tom... thanks!

Okay, folks Tom's got us rolling... what do you think of this? Anything need to be added, changed, whatever?

Wish I had time to work on this but it's nearly 2 a.m. and I need to get some sack time.

Excellent Tom... see my PM I just sent to you also...

Well-done

looks good. i'd like to have block for type of mask so we can enter our masks. for instance i am currently using 2 different full face masks on different nights. i'd like to be able to push a button and see the 2 masks side by side showing the average leaks and ahi of each to decide which is better if that makes any sense or if it is doable.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Greatunclebill,

I think it can be done...I'm not sure I can "button it" but I can include multiple columns for masks and at the very least you will be able to see them both on the graph. I'm working midnight shift this week so my brain is a little foggy. Smile

tombarelybreathing

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 0 50 11 hours ago
Last Post: xaid
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 227 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 1,935 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  Help Interpreting Oscar Charts - Huge Clusters of OA Heaviside 3 350 02-22-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] What Do My Graphs Mean? | OSCAR TiredTim 27 1,439 02-12-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  'Near-perfect' flowrate graphs CPAPnerd 7 414 02-11-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Central apnea, graphs' meaning and ASV machine settings GT26 4 236 02-09-2024, 12:11 PM
Last Post: GT26

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.