Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

WARNING: Scams [don't let this happen to YOU!]
Exclaimation 
WARNING: Scams [don't let this happen to YOU!]
Just a heads-up for those who may have gotten a Private Message (PM) or email from another forum member offering a CPAP machine for sale.  These types of scams do happen on occasion.  If a forum member is asking you to send money to them in order to purchase a CPAP machine, please be advised that ANYONE can sign up for a forum account, post several posts to make it look like they are "legitimate" and then send out PMs to any forum member pretending to be someone who wants to "help" you by offering a CPAP machine at a good price.

Please be aware that if they ask you to send money prior to you receiving the item, there's a strong chance you're dealing with a scammer.   In fact, if they present such an "opportunity" to you using their forum account, you're already dealing with someone who has no problem violating forum rules. If someone sends you a PM or email requesting money for a CPAP machine (or any other equipment) please NO NOT respond to them.  You do so at your own risk.

Keep in mind that for this and other reasons, our rules state:

Quote:3.  No member may use their forum account to solicit or facilitate the sale, trade, or transfer of any prescription-required items (such as CPAP machines, humidifiers, masks or mask parts)

We have had scammers do this in times past.  

BE CAREFUL with these types of "offers", folks.

Cool
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: WARNING: Scams
Also, if anyone receives such a PM or an email sent through the forum software, please send a Private Message to me, and include their forum username or email address, the method of contact (PM or email) and any associated details (such a the contents of the message, time received, etc).  We will take corrective action against that forum account.

Scamming Apnea Board members is taken VERY seriously and will likely result in the offending account being banned if we find that there was likely to be fraud involved.

Thanks
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: WARNING: Scams
Forgot to mention that one of the past scams was when people offer a "FREE" CPAP machine and simply ask you to send them a "certain amount for shipping" in order to cover their personal cost to get the item to you.

Please be aware that any attempt to require you to send any money at all may be a scam.  Remember especially, once you send a personal check, the scammer then has your exact checking account number and may use that information to drain your account of all funds.

A check is a treasure trove of information for fraudsters. Think about all the personal data you want to hide from thieves and then think about what's printed on the front of your personal checks: names, addresses, the banking institution, the bank's routing number, and the check holder's account number.

With access to this data, thieves can pay for items online with just the account and routing numbers. Many prepaid cards can also have money transferred to them from a bank account by using the same information. That's to say nothing of the risks of identity theft or an account takeover once this information is compromised.

The worst thing about using checks is the same problem one runs into when using debit cards: If there's a dispute when fraudulent transactions are performed, it's your money that's missing, not the bank's. You'll find yourself in the very stressful position of fighting to get back all the money that was originally in your account.

In other words, the legal protections that are in place for credit card use are missing when it comes to checking account fraud.

BE SAFE, folks.   Smile
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: WARNING: Scams [don't let this happen to YOU!]
Just a side note.

We bank with Wells Fargo. We have both a checking and a debit card with them. Wells Fargo protects their debit cards just like they do their credit cards. 

All they require is that you notify them in a timely manner, if you suspect a fraudulent transaction on one of their debit cards. I was told a timely manner would be within 72 hrs. 

Not sure about their checking accounts though. We never been the victim of a check scheme or fraud.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2019, 02:54 PM)Big Guy Wrote: We bank with Wells Fargo. We have both a checking and a debit card with them. Wells Fargo protects their debit cards just like they do their credit cards.

That's better than no protection, but I'd be willing to bet that there is a limit to that protection in the small print.  If you have several thousands of dollars in a checking account that is stolen, it might be a major issue to get it all back.  Keep in mind, such protections for checking account or debit card fraud are company policies, not laws.  Company policies do not have the force of law and can be broken if the company so desires.

Plus, what happens if you go one hour past that 72-hour time period?  They're under no obligation in that case.  So unless you're checking your account for fraudulent activity every couple of days, it would be easy to miss that deadline.

Even if you do catch it in time, you can be sure that your bank will not replace the funds until a full investigation of the fraud is completed.  Meanwhile, you don't have access to your own funds.

As a suggestion, many banks have "email alerts" (or text alerts) for certain types of transactions, where you can get a email if a transaction occurs for more than "X" amount of dollars.  I have one set up on both my personal account and our Apnea Board account, so I get notified quickly for any transaction greater than $500.

Thinking-about
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
A couple weeks ago, I received an email that my PayPal account showed suspicious activity, and that they would be happy to check on it if I supplied my full name, account number and
password.  

That was a red flag to me.  I’ve never had a problem with PayPal, nor have they ever asked for information via email.
Out of curiosity, I clicked on it to open it, the web page looked identical to PayPal’s site, but I suspected it was a fraud. I certainly didn’t leave any information.

I logged on to the real PayPal site and checked my account and all looked well.  I then phoned PayPal, and they asked me to forward them the email I received.  Within a few hours, they got back to me and confirmed it was fraudulent and to delete it from my email account, and also change my password on PayPal.

Tis the season ... Hackers and Spammers have gotten very good at what they do, so be careful.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, be careful of clicking on any link in an email.  It may be legit, but maybe it's not...

For instance, a link can lead to a page that looks exactly like the real thing, but the URL (web page address) is slightly different.

For instance, the following link is legitimate:

https://paypal.com/us/home

HOWEVER, the following links are NOT legitimate:

https://paypal.win.com/us/home

https://www.paypal-us.com

https://www.paypal.login.com

https://www.pay-pal.com

You have to pay attention to the part immediately BEFORE the ".com".  That is the actual domain name.

Plus, you can't always go by what's in the address bar of your web browser (that can be faked).  To see the actual link, you'd need to "hover" over the link prior to clicking on it and look (usually) near the bottom of your browser to see a preview of where the link actually goes.
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
I have been scammed 3 times buying machines:

1) using MoneyGram
2) using Email Money Transfer
3) paying part of the payment as Friends and Family on PayPal.

Now, I only ever use PayPal, paying as goods and paying by logging into PayPal directly. Since doing this, I haven't been scammed, but there is still a chance.

That said, the savings on a private deal can easily save you more than buying 2 machines...so it can be worth it. You just need to be as safe as possible and keep your guard up.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2019, 02:59 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 02:54 PM)Big Guy Wrote: We bank with Wells Fargo. We have both a checking and a debit card with them. Wells Fargo protects their debit cards just like they do their credit cards.

That's better than no protection, but I'd be willing to bet that there is a limit to that protection in the small print.  If you have several thousands of dollars in a checking account that is stolen, it might be a major issue to get it all back.  Keep in mind, such protections for checking account or debit card fraud are company policies, not laws.  Company policies do not have the force of law and can be broken if the company so desires.

Plus, what happens if you go one hour past that 72-hour time period?  They're under no obligation in that case.  So unless you're checking your account for fraudulent activity every couple of days, it would be easy to miss that deadline.

Even if you do catch it in time, you can be sure that your bank will not replace the funds until a full investigation of the fraud is completed.  Meanwhile, you don't have access to your own funds.

As a suggestion, many banks have "email alerts" (or text alerts) for certain types of transactions, where you can get a email if a transaction occurs for more than "X" amount of dollars.  I have one set up on both my personal account and our Apnea Board account, so I get notified quickly for any transaction greater than $500.

Thinking-about

I have e-mail alerts on all of my accounts. It's kind of a crap shoot anymore when you do business online. You have to be on your game and be as vigilant as possible. 

We've yet to become a victim of any type, kind, or form of fraud. I do my due diligence as much as possible. I'm hoping that isn't just by luck.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 798 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  [CPAP] Can you get a warning about no SD card? jerrykur 8 668 08-06-2023, 09:11 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  WARNING to CPAP Users: PREPARE for the Unexpected - When the power goes out SuperSleeper 231 120,718 07-21-2023, 05:07 AM
Last Post: baffled
  What would cause something like this to happen? sleepy331 3 522 07-05-2023, 08:33 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Angry WARNING - POSSIBLE RESMED KNOCK-OFF srlevine1 11 4,719 04-30-2022, 01:05 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Equipment] Warning: Malware found on Contec RS01 gnluna 14 1,836 01-25-2022, 06:46 AM
Last Post: selfcoacher
  [News] WARNING: AROMATHERAPY srlevine1 1 733 10-27-2021, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.