Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics DreamWear
Humidifier: None
CPAP Pressure: 7 - 13
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Admins/Moderators - Please Consider Adding Tapatalk Support
For those that are not familiar with it, tapatalk is an app used by millions on iPhone and Android to access Internet forums. It is FREE for forums to install and can be installed in a matter of minutes, it makes it easy for mobile users to get to forums, and provides a mobile interface that makes it easy to browse forums.

I also notice that the forum is using older non-mobile friendly software, tapatalk would overcome that limitation.

Please understand, this is not a criticism, I'd like to see this forum grow further and if your main competitor embraces mobile and you don't, you are giving them a huge membership advantage, it means mobile users will go elsewhere.

Number of Mobile-Only Internet Users Now Exceeds Desktop-Only in the U.S.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2016 08:38 PM by Dreams of Green.)
01-25-2016 07:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

RE: Admins/Moderators - Please Consider Adding Tapatalk Support
As far as the forum part -- that's up the Supersleeper who is the Admin.
I've heard that Google will push down search results from websites that are not mobile formatted.
I've also seen people who use tapatalk on another non-apnea forum I participate in.
So, it's a good idea.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-25-2016 08:52 PM
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

I posted yesterday that Apneaboard is nearly unusable for mobile devices. I don't know if this forum can support Tapatalk to facilitate mobile access, but that may be one option.

01-25-2016 10:03 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

We tried Tapatalk back in 2012 and it would not work with our forum software.

But, just to make sure something hasn't changed since then, I just spent the last 5 hours installing the newer version of Tapatalk hoping things would have changed. Spent most of that time trying to de-bug several issues, trying to fix problems with permissions, reading documentation, etc. but things haven't changed with Tapatalk, so I had to uninstall it a few minutes ago.

Our current forum software is a hacked-up version of the open-source MyBB forum software. The code has been changed so much so that it's really now a fork of MyBB and nowhere near a standard installation. I've got a 25 page text file documenting each of the hacks, add-ons, mods, plugins, etc., and a folder full of files that have changed dramatically from the default install.

The current version of Tapatalk disables 3 of the most important security features we've installed on our forum software which would make it a completely unacceptable security risk. And there's a plethora of other problems as well. There is no workaround to avoid these issues - it's a conflict that can't be overcome with our current forum software, unfortunately.

GoMobile was another option for us, but it doesn't work with our version of MyBB either.

The main issue is that our forum software is old (2012). We need to make a switch to a newer software platform at some point. That is a major undertaking. The Advisory Members (formerly called "Master Members") here can attest that when we switched to the MyBB platform, it took us a week just to set it up and work the bugs out (those Master Members acted as beta-testers at that time). During that week, I got an average of 2-3 hours of sleep a night and just about ruined my health when it was all over. And that was before we even transitioned all the other thousands of members over here, and after that happened, we had a couple more weeks of bugs that kept popping up, necessitating late-night sessions to fix stuff. It worked out in the end, but man-oh-man, was it was a painstaking and slow process. I think I'd rather have a finger cut off than to go through that again. And a move to a new platform now would be even more complicated. And yet, we do need to do something.

I'm not complaining, but rather explaining how large of an undertaking it would be. I'd have to have 1-2 weeks completely free of just about everything else (unless I could do no other work and live on gallons of coffee and no sleep for a couple of weeks). Coffee

We will make that move to a more robust, feature-packed, mobile-friendly and scalable forum software platform at some point. The upgrade path would necessitate upgrading first to the newest 1.8.6 version, and only then perform a migration to a new software platform with a pre-prepared script (and both of those steps would have to be painstakingly looked at, transitioned and tested in order to make sure the features in our code hacks would survive each step).

A new platform is not going to happen soon, however. It's important to realize that this place is run by volunteers who have regular jobs and it's funded mostly by donations. We're not backed by a commercial entity or large corporation (and we don't want that either). We just don't have it in the budget to hire a developer who specializes in forum software migrations, and even if we did, I'd have to spend hours and hours teaching that developer all the hacks we've done to the code so that a migration path could happen with no major down-time, that, plus the developer would have to be intimately familiar with the MyBB software platform, and whatever new new platform we choose, and be able to sort through and account for all the hacks we've made, and also be available to test stuff on a temporary sub-folder and fix stuff quickly on the fly when it all goes live.

I guess what I'm saying is that I know there are frustrations with not having a completely mobile-friendly website. But we have some hard limitations to deal with that will take time and a major effort to overcome.

Thanks for listening, folks. As always, if anyone has questions, please ask.

Thanks

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

01-26-2016 01:28 AM
Dreams of Green Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics DreamWear
Humidifier: None
CPAP Pressure: 7 - 13

Other Comments:

Thanks for the thorough explanation, I sure wasn't expecting that! The forums we've installed it on don't have a lot of customizations so we did not face any of the complexities you do.
01-26-2016 01:55 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Most forums (understandably) simply install the default software, set up everything and let it go unchanged for years. On Apnea Board, we've tried to remain responsive to what the forum members want, and we're regularly updating and changing things to make this place a better experience for everyone (based upon member feedback, and suggestions from within the Advisory Member group here).

Unfortunately, that flexible responsiveness and willingness to improve things comes at a price: When it comes time to update the software, it's much more difficult for us than for a forum that just "set things up with the default install & settings and 'let it go'".

Thinking-about

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

01-26-2016 02:24 AM
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

another good post to add to the 'about apnea board' page Bigwink

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
01-28-2016 01:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

(01-28-2016 01:30 PM)DariaVader Wrote:  another good post to add to the 'about apnea board' page Bigwink

We have an "About Apnea Board" page?? Thinking-about

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

01-28-2016 07:09 PM
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

(01-28-2016 07:09 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  We have an "About Apnea Board" page?? Thinking-about

DielaughingDielaughingDielaughing

we don't... but we got a request for one, recently Wink

Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

01-28-2016 08:01 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Probably a good idea to create one, actually.

Okay, that's on my list... Eat-popcorn

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

01-29-2016 02:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [News] In Six Months, Microsoft Will Pull The Plug On Windows 7 Support ApneaNews 15 2,921 07-17-2014 01:32 PM
Last Post: Thegirls