Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice - First night with new machine
Advice - First night with new machine
Good morning all,
I am currently trialing machines prior to purchase.  I used a Phillips Dreamstation for 15 days.  Last night was my first night with a Resmed Airsense 10 autoset.  My numbers are attached below.  Do any of you experts with experience with this machine have any advice on settings?  Some of the settings I  would appreciate opinions on are Ramp (on or off?  I am pretty comfortable with adapting to pressure, so should I just turn it off to get to higher pressures sooner?), and EPR (on or off, which level if on?).

Any other observations on my numbers you would care to share?

Brian
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Advice - First night with new machine
With pressure at 7.6 to 16.0 and EPR 2, you seem to be sensitive to the EPR and are experiencing CA events. I think you can cut your EPR back to 1 and do better until you adjust, and I don't see a need for maximum pressure more than 9.0. Based on what I'm seeing here, minimum pressure to 7.0, maximum to 9.0 and EPR at 1
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Brian, it would be interesting to see how you did on your Dreamstation as well You have a significant amount of central apnea here, and if that was also true for the Dreamstation, you might need a different therapy from CPAP. ASV is used to treat central apnea and therapy onset central or complex apnea. Was there any central events noted on your sleep study?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the ideas Sleeprider. Later tonight I can dig up some of the details from the dreamstation, and check my original sleepstudy to see if there was Central Apneas documented.

I'll drop the EPR to 1 on the Resmed for tonight as well.

Brian
Post Reply Post Reply
About ramp. Especially with the adjustments recommended by Sleeprider, I think you can just turn the ramp off. I bet you'll never miss it.

I'm curious: have you noticed a difference in comfort switching from the PR machine to the ResMed? Like a lot of people, I found that the PR machine seemed to be trying to rush me into inhaling, while ResMed machine does a nice job of following my breathing. But not everyone has this same reaction.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2020, 11:09 AM)Dormeo Wrote: About ramp.  Especially with the adjustments recommended by Sleeprider, I think you can just turn the ramp off.  I bet you'll never miss it.

I'm curious: have you noticed a difference in comfort switching from the PR machine to the ResMed?  Like a lot of people, I found that the PR machine seemed to be trying to rush me into inhaling, while ResMed machine does a nice job of following my breathing.  But not everyone has this same reaction.

I found the Resmed accommodated a more natural style of breathing, as opposed to a more forceful or intentional breathing required for the Phillips.  It seemed very comfortable last night, so I was a little surprised by the AHI numbers when I downloaded them to Oscar.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good, I'm glad the ResMed is more comfortable. You are in good hands for strategies to bring your AHI down.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are three additional nights of data.  I welcome any suggestions.  I am feeling pretty good overall.  Brian

Post Reply Post Reply
Well on second thought the CA events are not too bad, and I think some of it is caused by the frequent leaks. A more steady pressure between 8 and 10 might help. Again, higher pressures don't seem to have much value to your therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, you had asked about central events from a sleep study.  It took a while, but I found this one.  It is my most recent one.  It was done while I was wearing a mandibular advancement device.  I hope it helps.  Brian

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 280 1 hour ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 169 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 860 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,795 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 78 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 797 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.