Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice: Overnight Oximetry Test
Advice: Overnight Oximetry Test
I will be getting set up with my 'official' overnight oximetry test next week. Is there anything I need to know ahead of time? I'm already planning to sleep on my back.

I'm a little worried that I will have a good night (heaven forbid! lol), as this test will both qualify me for insurance coverage for the supplemental oxygen, and also for an Rx for the ASV based on need (which probably won't be covered by insurance).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Advice: Overnight Oximetry Test
Read the manual?

Seriously, there's not much you can do but be yourself. but if you are aiming for an ASV, then sleeping on your back won't do much except note the OA events.

Are you doing this at home or at a sleep clinic?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
This is an at home test.

Deleted the other stuff cuz I'm feeling really uncomfortable and discouraged.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't offer suggestions on home version of the test, but my PSG for the ASV was identical to CPAP and BPAP except a "special" sleep tech was brought in for the ASV version. Forgot: I have yet to do an oxy test...

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I had a oximetry test it was just a device you wore on your wrist and attached to your finger. It was similar to the ones you can buy online. The only difference was it was a little bigger and you couldn't see the results. You have to wait to get the report back from the Doctor.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2018, 08:19 PM)kiwii Wrote: Deleted the other stuff cuz I'm feeling really uncomfortable and discouraged.

Here's a pep talk for ya:

There might be no good reason to feel that way.  Are you sure the situation is all that bad?  If you're not sure, try to forget about it for a while by distracting yourself with other stuff.  Or as the British saying goes, "Cheer up; it may never happen."  I think that's generally said just before hoisting a pint in a pub.

You know the Serenity Prayer that the twelve-step folks use, right?  I was interested but not surprised to learn recently that one form of it is at least as old as the Stoics.  When I consider that serenity thing I prefer to omit the silly irrationalist component of the AA version of it (asking, or even demanding, that an Invisible Pink Unicorn should magically give us courage, patience, and wisdom), but aside from that it makes a lot of sense.

In a bad situation that I want to make better, the first thing I need to do is to figure out, honestly and rationally, which parts of it I can change.  Then I need to come up with some plan of action for those parts, and put it into practice.  At the same time, I need to stop worrying about the parts of the situation that I can't change, because obsessing about those does no good and might do some harm (even if the harm is only psychological).

I'm not being holier-than-thou; we've all been through it many times and we know what it's like.  It's difficult, and it could even be that the third thing in my formulation of it above is the most difficult.  (Sometimes I foolishly worry about worrying too much.)

When all else fails, try taking the advice of James Thurber, as updated by Gregg Allman one time when he was all bummed out & despairing and writing a song about it:  "Leave your mind alone (and just get high)".  Sometimes it does seem that the best you can do is to say "Foo" and turn your attention to something else for a while.
Post Reply Post Reply
Best of luck with the test kiwii! I don't have any real advice but I feel that if you need oxygen, the test will show that you do and should be covered by insurance.
Take care.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 37 1,523 Yesterday, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 97 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 54 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 13 514 03-12-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 722 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 182 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 102 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.