Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice Wanted: Current CPAP Died - what are my options now?
RE: Advice Wanted: Current CPAP Died - what are my options now?
Thanks Thanks Thanks
I really appreciate the advice.  

Doctor's visit went well. I got the prescription and ordered the AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her. It should arrive tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.
Post Reply Post Reply
I forgot to mention that I have been using Supplier #26 for several years (masks, filters, tubing). I checked several of the other suppliers and Supplier #26 had a sale on the machine I wanted. And next day shipping was included in the cost. Double happiness.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well done! You are really going to like the new machine and will find it much different from the old one. Based on your old settings, you should start in Autoset Standard, or Autoset For Her mode with minimum pressure 7.0 and maximum pressure 14.0 (machine will only go as high as needed). You will like EPR, and need to try different settings to see what is most comfortable. I would start Full Time at 3, and change to lower settings if you feel the pressure difference between inhale and exhale is too much or you feel "breathless". The last setting is under the menu option Essentials. Change from ON to PLUS. This gives you more detail in your on-screen sleep report.

If you have not done so, be sure to request the clinician manual from the forum. There is lots of useful information beyond the the user manual, and your machine may or may not include the clinician manual. It's a good way to prepare for receipt of the new machine. Hope you got a good deal. Looks like the Autoset for Her is down to about $750 from Supplier #26.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2019, 09:03 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: ...Based on your old settings, you should start in Autoset Standard, or Autoset For Her mode with minimum pressure 7.0 and maximum pressure 14.0 (machine will only go as high as needed).  You will like EPR, and need to try different settings to see what is most comfortable.  I would start Full Time at 3, and change to lower settings if you feel the pressure difference between inhale and exhale is too much or you feel "breathless".   The last setting is under the menu option Essentials. Change from ON to PLUS. This gives you more detail in your on-screen sleep report.  

If you have not done so, be sure to request the clinician manual from the forum.  There is lots of useful information beyond the the user manual, and your machine may or may not include the clinician manual.  It's a good way to prepare for receipt of the new machine.  Hope you got a good deal.  Looks like the Autoset for Her is down to about $750 from Supplier #26.

I will do program it for this and will also request both the clinician and user manual to start reading before it arrives. I know there will be some adjustment but I feel like I'm moving from a Chevy Vega to a Lexus. I'm really looking forward to more detailed reports so I can see if I have fewer AHI's with this machine. That is the ultimate goal, isn't it?

Not that this is important but since the price was so good I opted for the climate controlled hose. That will be luxury. 

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ISnooz,
WELCOME back to the forum.!
You got a great  machine.
CONGRATULATIONS! on your weight loss and good luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2019, 05:42 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi ISnooz,
WELCOME back to the forum.!
You got a great  machine.
CONGRATULATIONS! on your weight loss and good luck with your CPAP therapy.

Thanks Trish6hundred,

I'm looking forward to the new machine. And thanks for the kind words about the weight loss. It took a a loooooonnnggg time before I finally decided I was tired of being so overweight and was willing to change my mindset to make healthier eating a lifestyle change. 

Thanks

iSnooze
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2019, 12:18 PM)iSnooze Wrote:
(07-23-2019, 09:03 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: ...Based on your old settings, you should start in Autoset Standard, or Autoset For Her mode with minimum pressure 7.0 and maximum pressure 14.0 (machine will only go as high as needed).  You will like EPR, and need to try different settings to see what is most comfortable.  I would start Full Time at 3, and change to lower settings if you feel the pressure difference between inhale and exhale is too much or you feel "breathless".   The last setting is under the menu option Essentials. Change from ON to PLUS. This gives you more detail in your on-screen sleep report.  

If you have not done so, be sure to request the clinician manual from the forum.  There is lots of useful information beyond the the user manual, and your machine may or may not include the clinician manual.  It's a good way to prepare for receipt of the new machine.  Hope you got a good deal.  Looks like the Autoset for Her is down to about $750 from [/url][url=http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-CPAP-Supplier-List?pid=31#pid31]Supplier #26.

I will do program it for this and will also request both the clinician and user manual to start reading before it arrives. I know there will be some adjustment but I feel like I'm moving from a Chevy Vega to a Lexus. I'm really looking forward to more detailed reports so I can see if I have fewer AHI's with this machine. That is the ultimate goal, isn't it?

Not that this is important but since the price was so good I opted for the climate controlled hose. That will be luxury. 

Thanks
Actually no it is not.  The goal is to improve your sleep and the rest that you get along with your daytime symptoms such as wakefulness.  It happens that the AHI usually tags along for the ride, but the goal is to improve your health, not your AHI Numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2019, 12:18 PM)iSnooze Wrote: I'm really looking forward to more detailed reports so I can see if I have fewer AHI's with this machine. That is the ultimate goal, isn't it?

I'm excited for you!  Getting a new machine after that many years, that's definitely going to be a good experience!!!
I wanted to comment on AHI.  I disagree about fewer AHIs being the goal.  Let me explain why.  

I originally got the DreamStation Auto, and I consistently get AHI of about .6 - 1.8.  My sleep apnea symptoms completely went away!

Later I bought a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset (for travel, due to its smaller footprint and better case), and I consistently get an even lower AHI with it (about 0 - .8).  BUT my sleep apnea symptoms returned. 

It would be easy to conclude the ResMed was doing a better job of treating my apnea, based on the AHI.  But based on how I felt, the DreamStation did a better job.

After some experimenting, I've concluded that ResMed and DreamStation must score AHIs differently from each other. They also have different algorithms for treating them.  

I realized ResMed's default setting was too aggressive, and was causing me disrupted sleep (even if I didn't recall disrupted sleep).  I switched my ResMed to the "soft" setting, and sure enough my sleep apnea symptoms went away.

So I just want to encourage you that while AHI can be helpful, it's not the end-all-be-all.  So if you're seeing great AHI but you're not feeling as great, do tweak away at the settings, and I'm confident you'll find a setting that works well for you!  Just don't go *only* according to AHI when trying to decide if a machine is better.

There's my unsolicited two cents. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Hydrangea,
This is really valuable information, and it is something I’ve often wondered about.  Sometimes a more aggressive algorithm like ResMed offers isn’t always the right choice for everyone, even though it might give you a lower AHI.  

I’m still using a Respironics machine and have always felt quite comfortable and well rested with it.  
The biggest drawback is the Flex system compared to ResMed’s EPR.  That feature alone might sway me toward a ResMed machine.  Thinking-about
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2019, 06:25 PM)bonjour Wrote: ... The goal is to improve your sleep and the rest that you get along with your daytime symptoms such as wakefulness.  It happens that the AHI usually tags along for the ride, but the goal is to improve your health, not your AHI Numbers.

(07-23-2019, 06:39 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: ... I disagree about fewer AHIs being the goal.  Let me explain why.  

I originally got the DreamStation Auto, and I consistently get AHI of about .6 - 1.8.  My sleep apnea symptoms completely went away!

Later I bought a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset (for travel, due to its smaller footprint and better case), and I consistently get an even lower AHI with it (about 0 - .8).  BUT my sleep apnea symptoms returned. 

It would be easy to conclude the ResMed was doing a better job of treating my apnea, based on the AHI.  But based on how I felt, the DreamStation did a better job.

Thanks for the clarification and the detailed example. Once I get my machine I will focus on getting the most restful sleep possible and not worry about any of the numbers.  I've now slept 2 nights without a machine and my husband told me he didn't hear me snoring or gasping for breath at all. However, I have a headache and feel very unfocused. Sleeprider was right. I don't need another sleep study to tell me if I still have sleep apnea. I can tell by how I feel since I've had 2 nights without therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 295 3 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 171 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 863 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 65 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,797 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.