Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice appreciated
RE: Advice appreciated
Safety pins did not keep my improvised, homemade soft cervical collar snug enough for entire night. I will revise today, and look at our local stores as well as internet . My sleep night was similar to recent nights. ... If eventually, I do not need tennis balls on my back at night, that would be fine with me.
Post Reply Post Reply
martyedb,
Chin tucking can occur whether you are on your back or side.  I have always been a side sleeper, but tend to tuck my chin.  
Over time, I have managed to self train myself not to tuck my chin.  Also, the height of your bed pillow may be too high and cause your head to drop forward.

It sounds like your collar isn't the right fit.  Measure your neck circumference and add a couple inches to allow for movement.
Also measure the area from your chin to the bottom of neck area.  Folk with shorter necks may only need 2-2 1\2 Inch in height.  Amazon has many collars and sizes available.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning!    I sewed velcro onto  my homemade soft cervical collar and wore it all night.   My mouth  seemed to stay closed all night, so my mouth was not so dry this morning.     Yes,  the collar may be   a bit too wide  yet,   or too thick.    We will measure and order one.     I am just 5 feet two inches tall, and I`m down to 121 pounds,    so two inches wide may work better.      (Losing  some weight may be another story.)     We are including a screen shot from last night.   I slept well, and got up to bathroom once, but went right back to sleep.    That helps, too.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The numbers say the Min pressure needs to go up a bit more. As you're running 11 now, you can try 0.2 steps to slowly go up to 12 or go direct to 12 and see what results are. The only areas that need attention are the remaining Obstructive, Hypopnea and the Flow Limit that shows around 5:00 and 7:20 times.

Now for the other half of the story. I know you say you slept well. Was the sleep good enough as it was, or do you think it still needs to get better? Specifically, if the events that are still on the chart are causing less rest than you'd prefer or if they cause disturbances, that is the reason to adjust pressure a bit higher. And again, it's those events about 5 and 7:20. If these are not bothering, then you can let it go as is for another night and see how it goes.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are two obstructive clusters that a better fitting collar may help. Take a look at the forum Reviews linked from the soft cervical collar wiki.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all, again.     We measured and ordered a soft cervical collar,   it will be here next week.   I made a new one today, will try it tonight, if only briefly.      I  changed  the min pressure up to 12.       I   had been  on set pressures from my dr  for my entire time with this, nearly three years,   then   we--my IT person   (   my sweet husband)   and then  I  -- have changed my pressures slowly just since  about September 17.    When I figured out how to change it to  Vauto, I made that change, too.       I appreciate the input from you who have  been working with this .
Post Reply Post Reply
If you've not gotten it yet, there's free for the requesting CPAP Setup Manuals in that button above. Just match your exact machine and hit the submit button. I think it's still a manual send process from there, but the Boss SuperSleeper is pretty quick at it. It may be helpful to at least look at the contents of one.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
We did request a manual for my machine.    Lots of info in it!    I hope to understand more of it  eventually!   Thank you for reminder.
Post Reply Post Reply
We can do Q&A about the contents if you need to learn about something. There's lots to see in the wiki as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
here is last night's summary.    I increased the min. to 12,  and increased the max to 16.   I think I'm supposed to keep a difference of 4.  (?)  or more??   
I added a couple other variables, too--  a no-no, I suppose.    I added cushions to my upper face straps,  which may have increased leaks, although I don't know why.    and used the new thinner soft cervical collar that I made yesterday.    I changed it out to the thicker one that I made the day before,   when I was up to the bathroom about three AM.      I may need to stop making changes for a few days.    !     ...  or if one of you experienced  persons has a suggestion, I will go with that.    Thank you.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 15 261 20 minutes ago
Last Post: iamJB
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 73 1,665 Yesterday, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 168 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 856 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,789 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 150 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 468 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.