Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice appreciated
RE: Advice appreciated
Thank you, Dave.    I will continue  as I've been doing recently,   for now.    This OSCAR and oximetry  monitoring  has just been in the last   six or ten months, so it's still fairly new to me.    I see my dr. again in January...oh, it's almost January!    So we can review some of this then.   
I plan to write a letter to my dr,    to hand to him when I go to my appointment, next time and every time.   It's too easy to forget to mention something that I think may be important.

Thank you again!
Post Reply Post Reply
You're welcome.

Let me suggest what I have done for my PAP therapy and other pulmonary needs. Whether it is mental or written form doesn't matter much, but whichever works best for you. Make notes that you understand, even if it's some made up shorthand or abbreviations, notes should include symptoms that linger or cause complaints of some sort, things yet to be addressed and similar. These also can be positive like PAP setting edits, changed this to that value and that area improved type of thing. I've found if you tell the doc you changed settings, include values of old and new and can point to the positive change, then include a question like what do you think doc? This includes doc and keeps feathers from ruffling too much. Notes of some sort is the general idea, you come up with the format that works best for you. Maybe it'll help with the treatment, etc.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the suggestions, including the "what do you think?" part.
I do have low-tech graphs --large paper graphs--that I started making about a year ago. I take those in to each appointment. One day my dr. asked some question... may have been how do you feel after such and such... or is the leak problem when your mask is wearing out? ... and I had to say, that I didn't have a system for recording that. He suggested that would be a good thing to include.
The graphs have evolved. First it was just Resmed Myair information each day--that was simpler--an overall score, hours of use, AHI (they call it events), leaks per minute, and "on and off" number of times. The leaks drove me nuts. Increased pressures did not seem to decrease events of apnea. Sometimes Resmed Myair is described as measuring compliance. And the story goes on and on, which may explain why my first entry was very brief!
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you  tell how long the OAs were about  0340 ?    There were numbers   on  some screens,   56?     Does that mean apnea period 56 seconds?   or 56  OAs in a cluster?    It looks like a short cluster on the event graph.   

I seem to be doing well.     The graphs look good to us.    I sleep well usually.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I will try to include the section that I was asking about,   approx 0340 this morning.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I think that I figured it out.     fifty-six second period of apnea.     Oscar Help section explains these things.     

I am signing off for now.   I am doing better,   wearing the soft cervical collar and the sleep shirt with tennis balls on the back.    Fewer clusters of apnea.   I do appreciate all the help .
Post Reply Post Reply
OK glad to hear things are going decent now. Not sure what to make of the 56 second apnea on the chart.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Dave, I will continue with the therapy and trying to learn the appropriate things. This has been slow going for me. Fortunately, I am married to this wonderful tech support husband, so when I get stuck/ frustrate, he helps me out. I admire these people who are new to cpap therapy and are learning/posting questions --sometimes before even getting their machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK keep at it and when questions come up, feel free to ask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all again for all your suggestions and encouragement.
I've been working on the positional therapy.    
In a thread from 2016, I read a comment that a two inch soft cervical collar might be for a child.    That is the size  that I had been using--and we had measured!    It worked better than the homemade ones that I had made.      I am still using it but we measured again,   and ordered two more , in larger sizes.    The two inch SCC helped,  but I still had clusters of apneas.     This is Corflex ultra.     I have to keep trying to get it snug enough without being too tight.      
Last night was my first night with my new Knightsbridge chin strap.   This is an amazing design.     I had NO clusters of apneas or hypopneas.    
I had a large cluster of large leaks,    and noisy and breezy leaks,  and I've been awake since 4 AM, but  I will keep working on it.     I will  have an appointment at my medical supply store in next couple weeks, I want to try a different mask.   
These various sleep  accessories  (scuba  gear, etc.)    can make getting  to sleep a challenge,   but   BREATHING  IS  GOOD!
(11-11-2020, 08:47 AM)SevereApnea Wrote: In the beginning of the year I loaned a few FFMs: F20 F30 F30i Dreamwear. Hated them all, and was convinced they were not for me. (I have now come full circle.)

I spent most of this year convinced I needed a nasal mask, and settled on N30, N30i, and P30i
The P30i is my favourite nasal mask: no leaks to dry the eyes, but OH the mouth leaks...... Oh-jeez
Collar, full tape, partial taping, what a hassle and Still have the Dry Mouth: so for me this does not work. I really did try hard to make it work, maybe at some later stage of my PAP-evolution.

So after 9 or 10 months I decided I have failed xPAP therapy with a nasal mask. Pity.

Back to trialling the Dreamwear in different sizes, Amara View and now finally having the lowest leaks of any mask with the F30i.

Early days, but I have good success with the F30i as the leaks go.

At the end of the day you have to try them each. For long enough. Make many adjustments. Read these boards about leak management. Even try different cushion sizes with different headgear sizes.

And yes, with a soft pillow I can easily sleep on my side with the F30i which is the same as the F30 you are considering, only difference is it has the hose at the top of the head. I prefer that for two reasons.

1. No hose getting in the way of my arms.
2. For me the front hose pulls the mask down, away from the seal around the nose and blows air into my eyes. Not a good idea.

The tips in these threads may give you some further things to consider:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-They-Work
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...lem-solved

Hopefully you can make this work with your preferred 1/4 trimmed beard!

All the best and let us know how you progress.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 73 1,654 Yesterday, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 162 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 248 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 848 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,775 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 148 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 462 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.